A & J Owen Window Cleaning

How Does Everyone Advertise Their Services
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:15 pm »
as i say i have done all advertising i can for this years intake of new customers done lesaflet drops and shop windows and canvassing and local magazines what does everyone else do on this

SteX13

Re: how does aveyone advertise theer sevices
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:00:42 pm »
Before I post, to stop people moaning at me I guess I have to inform you that I am not a window cleaner nor have I ever cleaned a window!

I think your doing the right steps, how is the local mags going for you?

When someone calls do you ask where they heard about you? If not you should so you can keep track on what works and what doesn't.

All I can suggest on top is internet advertising. Post an ad on Gumtree offering your services to locals. Get a website up, so when people search for 'window cleaner in x' they can find and than maybe contact you.

Maybe when you post 'I have cleaned your windows today' note, add to it... recommend a friend and get your next clean free.

Or even better, offer money. It looks better to them gaining £10 rather than a free clean although it is basically the same thing.

;)

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:05:21 pm »
local mags are pretty good to be honest - they more than pay for themselves. Particularly work well in villages because they like to know where you're from. I always remind the other half to ask how they found us and then I can work out whether that particular sort of advertising works or not. We have got a website for the garden services which links to the windows and we have picked up work where they want windows and gardens - which is ideal. This is on a lot of the free sites so gets picked up on google searches.
To be honest, haven't tried recommend a friend and get yours free - worth considering perhaps. We are starting to ask customers now if a friend/relative wants theirs cleaned and its surprising that some customers think you only do a verysmall area/ I've also done occasional promotions on facebook.

PS Don't think it matters if you've never cleaned a window with questions like this - advertising is advertising  ;D

erithwc

Re: how does aveyone advertise theer sevices New
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:54 pm »
i use leaflets and a simple website which i am just updating today

http://www.erithwindowcleaning.co.uk

next year i will be spending more on leaflets and getting the site done by a professional company ;D

SteX13

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:42:12 pm »
Mate, try telling other members that! Because I have never cleaned a window I am not allowed to give people advice on here  ::)

Interesting about the mags, we have loads in our area, around 7 that go out in different places.

The recommend a friend seems good as it is encouraging them to go out of their way. Not sure how well it would work but no harm in trying and its doing something you do anyway. (if you do post a note) You could also say a friend/work colleagues.

Especially if you offer £10 rather than a free clean, you could get some people keen to earn an easy £50 for 10 mins of their time chatting to their buddies at work.

Klean07

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »
I advertise in local mags, shop windows, leaflet drops etc. I had some post cards printed last month offering custies a free clean if they reccommend a friend. So far using this system I've gained 10 new ones and thats in the 5 weeks that I've been doing it.

Ps Free clean will only be offered though when new custie has had their windows cleaned 3 times for obvious reasons.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Wc Solutions

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:05:32 pm »
customer recommendations are always best - wil def get more work from that...

end of the day anyone can get flyers done - doesnt mean they are good at there trade ...

i know some wc will push customers to pass on their flyers, maybe offer a free bottle of wine to your customers when they pick a new one up for you....

website wise: doesnt matter if its a crappy vista print one or a top of the range site, still get same results from it...

SteX13

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:22:15 pm »
I strongly disagree with a crappy site getting just as good a response compared to a top quality site.

Its like if you knocked doors with a long hair, beard, scraggly clothes and stinking of alcohol you would get a crap response? Same with a webiste!

First impressions make all the difference and online is no different to real life.

Wc Solutions

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:28:59 pm »
I strongly disagree with a crappy site getting just as good a response compared to a top quality site.

Its like if you knocked doors with a long hair, beard, scraggly clothes and stinking of alcohol you would get a crap response? Same with a webiste!

First impressions make all the difference and online is no different to real life.

maybe true for a product or different services but for window cleaning it doesnt matter how good the site is! some customer wont even ring if you have a really fancy site as it appears you could be expensive...

Sean Dyer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:35:37 pm »
Before I post, to stop people moaning at me I guess I have to inform you that I am not a window cleaner nor have I ever cleaned a window!

When someone calls do you ask where they heard about you? If not you should so you can keep track on what works and what doesn't.

All I can suggest on top is internet advertising. Post an ad on Gumtree offering your services to locals. Get a website up, so when people search for 'window cleaner in x' they can find and than maybe contact you.

Maybe when you post 'I have cleaned your windows today' note, add to it... recommend a friend and get your next clean free.

Or even better, offer money. It looks better to them gaining £10 rather than a free clean although it is basically the same thing.

;)

offering cash could get abused very quickly i wouldnt do that

If your gonna offer free cleans, get them to sign up for 3 and the 4th is free or similar, thats how most companies do it, ie gas and electric companies give you your free bies, or discounts after 12 months, you need to make money out of it not just get customers on the books that might be just after free cash

Wc Solutions

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:52 pm »
we did 6 month and 12 month free on all commercial small shops .... charged at a highter premium so worked out well ...

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:28 pm »
Erith I think your website looks very tidy and up to date, wouldnt change anything.
Can I ask how have you created a facebook profile - as far as I know you can only create a page for a business???

Regards
Chris
Chris
www.bluecitycleaning.co.uk
Non omnis moriar

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:42 pm »

;)

>:(

ste, i'm getting really quite irritated by your postings here.

As you do not have a round you don't actually know how to get customers for a window cleaning business.  All you are doing is speculating, what you think will work.  Until you have in depth experience of this particular industry your 'advice' may well be misleading.  Its much more useful to hear from WCs who have actually got customers themselves, and how they get them.  anybody can read a marketing book and come up with the ideas that you spend your time posting. 

i, like you, have run a business before and have learned a lot about marketing that business, but what works in one doesn't always work in another.  you should really wait until you are experienced in the WC business before you throw your 'advice' about.

you may think your 'advice' is useful, but some of it is not right for WC and you could end up costing inexperienced WCs a lot of money if they listen to you.  test your ideas with your own money before throwing your advice about.

::)
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Frankybadboy

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:42 pm »
good old parish council mags and web-site does it for me. ;) ;) ;)

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »
parish mags work well around here.
then we do shop windows an ad in the free rag
currently trialling large posters on garage forecourts
and in a local council information booklet going to 55k homes

Darran

oh yes,

web site
& van signage
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Frankybadboy

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 10:01:41 pm »

;)

>:(

ste, i'm getting really quite irritated by your postings here.

As you do not have a round you don't actually know how to get customers for a window cleaning business.  All you are doing is speculating, what you think will work.  Until you have in depth experience of this particular industry your 'advice' may well be misleading.  Its much more useful to hear from WCs who have actually got customers themselves, and how they get them.  anybody can read a marketing book and come up with the ideas that you spend your time posting. 

i, like you, have run a business before and have learned a lot about marketing that business, but what works in one doesn't always work in another.  you should really wait until you are experienced in the WC business before you throw your 'advice' about.

you may think your 'advice' is useful, but some of it is not right for WC and you could end up costing inexperienced WCs a lot of money if they listen to you.  test your ideas with your own money before throwing your advice about.

::)

if hes upsetting you that much richard then dont read his post,
or
get a life and chill ;D

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »
the topic was 'how do people advertise their services'.

ste doesnt advertise his services.  he isnt a WC yet and hasnt got a client.

iSparkle Window Cleaning

JUST GUTTERS

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:31 pm »
richard take chill pill....every ones comments our welcome..how do you know it wont work if you dont try....check out carpet cleaning section...they have a thread about marketing and trying different methods... just because your not open to new ideas doesnt mean others our not... and just because hes hasnt started yet.. doesnt mean he hasnt got any ideas how hes going to go about it..

on my flyers and postcards i have first clean free..but guys on this site say its wrong dont do it..but it works  for me...
i have text alert the night before..this helps people who our fed up just getting there fronts cleaned.
www.justguttersni.co.uk
clear-clean-repair-replace

Panorama

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:48 pm »
I'm going through the process of getting a flyer done by ste. I'm an experienced wc started in 1983 originally , but I'm totally clueless on how to advertise on a flyer. I done my own and got zero response, so if ste's design helps me gain more customer then everyones a winner. As said if you don't like his posts don't read them.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 10:37:42 pm »
i'm very interested in any ideas that WC have found to work. 

i'm not interested in generalized marketing advice.  i can get that myself from books or marketing websites.

if you want to go onto a carpet cleaning website and look at their ideas, to trial them, that's great.  but its a gamble.  if another WC has trialed them succesfully, and then posts them up...  its really intertesting...

ste's design for a flyer might work.  it might not.  the truth is he doesnt know.  you'd be much better off getting a flyer design off a WC who has found it succesfull. 

but hey if you want to spend your money on designing and printing up, then leafleting a batch of flyers that ste thinks (but oent know) will work, then of course you can!  ;D
iSparkle Window Cleaning

JUST GUTTERS

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 10:54:00 pm »
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=94062.msg833775#msg833775

i see you didnt take any advice before...  ;) before spending all that money
www.justguttersni.co.uk
clear-clean-repair-replace

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 11:00:39 pm »
Sorry better clean, not sure what you mean?

Do you mean that i dont listen to advice, or that i do ask for advice?

I did ask for advice if that's what you mean, and i was looking for advice of Window Cleaners.  Thats why i posted on a WC forum.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

JUST GUTTERS

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
still not sure what you mean??????   :P

iSparkle Window Cleaning

Pure Glass

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 11:49:56 pm »
Think he's trying to imply that by raising awareness of your bsuiness, you're trying to advertise......if thats not it Im as lost as you mate

Maybe its coz I'm an idiot and dont get subtlety

Or that I'm tired and should got to bed....

Pure Glass

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »
Or is he suggesting that youve forked out 35k on a Concept system?

I need my bed

cozy

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 10:30:29 am »
Used to advertise in local mags but don't bother that much now. We use leaflets and follow up knocking within a few days of a drop. Also Facebook, we advertise on local Facebook pages from local clubs etc, and pick up alot from that.
If you open a Facebook page, you don't want other WC's on there, you want potential custies, not your mates. Here's 2 of our Facebook pages:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=217388302773

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BFG-Window-Cleaner/173066676064366?v=wall

jay kingston

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »
Oozy

Hello Mate,can you tell me how much it cost's to advertise on face book.
Your advert looks to have generated alot of work.I'm looking to promote my gutter cleaning.

Thanks Jay

cozy

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 02:27:21 pm »
LOL that's Cozy  ;D

Nothing mate. You find local pages to you, like the rugby club, gardening club etc etc, then post on the wall summat like " We are a local window cleaner in this area. Feel free to join our group for future reference. Quotes are free, blah blah, then add your page link.

We take about 500 to 1200 worth of work a month on carpet cleaning this way. Most of the work comes from Personal Messeges (PM'S).

We advertise in about 5 or 6 groups every other day. It's free, but before we post on a group wall, we always ask the admin if it's OK, that's good manners mate. ;)

jay kingston

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »
Cozy(oozy)

Sorry mate,too much chocking the chicken as  a youngster-it's the eyesight!!!
Anyway,thanks for the info.I know a sparky who does this and has also got work this way.Thanks for the info
 ;D ;D ;D

Jay

cozy

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »
No mate, you're right! OOZY is a better name  8) ;D

Re: How Does Everyone Advertise Their Services
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:04 pm »
jay  specsavers are good mate do agree oooozy seems better

jay kingston

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 08:48:14 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

NJWindowCleaning

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »
Advertise by website, yell.com, google, Thomson have done pretty well with response of all.  :) :)

JSMC

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »
haven't advertised or used flyers since starting in 2008 or knocked doors. I got a foot in the door setting up and her dad gave me work and other work i pick up is from current customers mainly.