formb

Re: scams/cons pulled on w/cleaner
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:39 pm »
Turns out after a little digging that he is not only registered in his home address as an over 65 year old to avoid council tax, but the company he was trading under wasn't registered with companies house so wasn't/isn't paying any tax on his earnings.

Sorry to disappoint you mate, but you don't have to be registered at companies house unless you are a Ltd company. It has nothing to do with HMRC.

It will if he is not paying his taxes surely?

Andy Foster

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 10:03:12 pm »
Turns out after a little digging that he is not only registered in his home address as an over 65 year old to avoid council tax, but the company he was trading under wasn't registered with companies house so wasn't/isn't paying any tax on his earnings.

Sorry to disappoint you mate, but you don't have to be registered at companies house unless you are a Ltd company. It has nothing to do with HMRC.

I'll let HMRC be the judge of that one.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »

Andy Foster

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 10:30:15 pm »
Here you are.

http://www.startups.co.uk/companies-house_1.html

From the link you sent...

"If you haven't done so already, you can register as a sole trader here. You need to register with HM Revenue & Customs within 3 months of starting your trade."

So you do have to register with HMRC even if not with companies house. So let's see if he has eh.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 10:32:24 pm »
Yea you got to register with HMRC, I didn't say he shouldn't. Didn't you not say he should be registered with companies house?

I think if you don't register with HMRC within 3 months of starting up you're poking at a £100 fine.

Andy Foster

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »
I didn't say he should, I said he wasn't.

Anyhow, HMRC are the interested party and at least they will be able to investigate.

mark dew

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 12:18:12 am »

Anyhow, HMRC are the interested party and at least they will be able to investigate.

I'm confused. How do you know he isn't registered with hmrc?
Was it because he couldn't be found on companies house??

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:35 am »

Glad you pot the CCJ on him Andy.... deserves every
I'm confused. How do you know he isn't registered with hmrc?
Was it because he couldn't be found on companies house??

If you were registered at home as an over 65 when you were actually around 45, would you be registered with HMRC ?

Glad you got that CCJ on him Andy.... deserves everything he gets !!
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

HIGH LEVEL WINDOW CLEANERS (scrimmy)

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 11:22:10 am »
i got caught out by another cleaning companywho said they dont do windows........they used me as a their quotations person (said they will pass on all their window cleaning jobs to me, just go and quote these 5 jobs to see how it goes).....1 month later i see them cleaning the windows of one of the jobs i quoted (lot of leg work and paper work).......it happens a lot....but i wont get caught out again. 8)

Nick Wareham

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:52:30 pm »
I got a phone call from one of those dodgy merseyside companies that pretend that they're publishing a book for charity and that you've sponsored it.

As luck would have it, just the previous week I had heard about it as a scam, and so hung up immediately.

As a warning to others, dont even engage them in conversation, because the next thing you'll know is a bill will arrive on your doormat for £3000, and it is one heck of a job to get them to go away.

The phoncall goes "Hello mr. xxxxx.  I'm calling about the book you agreed to sponsor for charity X months ago, I'm so sorry it has taken such a long time to get back to you..."

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2006/07/taylor-tanner-sponsorship-char.html

Jimmy Jon

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »
What a coincidence, I had one of those exact calls this morning calling from a mobile phone (which I thought was strange at the time) for a local charity event raising money for kids with cancer, as soon as he said his piece I told him I was not interested - I hope he doesn't bill me for 3 grand!  ???