mark311069

is 55 to old?
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:11 pm »
Hi all,  ive been trying out a new guy for the last few weeks, and as stated hes 55 years old and while hes great with the custies, iam finding its hard to pick jobs for him, when i send him out on his own, like he cant climb over gates, and ladders arnt his strong point, and he seems knackard by 2pm. and (the important thing) hes not making me any money as the amount of work he can do is only enough to just about pay him.

mci services

Re: is 55 to old?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »
its down to the individual, my old man restarted a round at the age of 55 and went on to build a successful business, so it is not to old. but my dad wasn't new to it.

I had a lad of 17 who was the exact same, exhausted by 2pm, it took him a few months to get up to speed.

does he know the value of the work he is doing? maybe he loses interest when he knows his wages are covered

Jack Wallace

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 08:08:30 pm »
Yes 55 is way too old.  :)
I am 47 and knackered so dread to think what i will be like in 8 years ha ha   ;D

dai

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11:32 pm »
wimps

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:18:45 pm »
You not retired yet Dai? You'll be getting a letter from the Queen soon! ;)

jouk45

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »
what a load of rubbish, am 51 and knackered by 12pm  ;D

waynebarry

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »
I use a guy as a subbie for window & carpet cleaning and he's 59 and proberley fitter than my 4 other staff!!! ;D

mci services

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:25:00 pm »
my old man could put some of the lads to shame when he hit 70 ;)

Skyglide

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
You have to be hard and make business decisions. At 55 the positives are may or may not have good people skills, may be far more comitted to the job, may well have more common sense.
Disadvantages, may not be fit, may have personal problems with past wives or offspring, may be alcoholic, may go sick big time (although in my experience far more positive in all respects than youngsters)

As with all employees, if it starts to go wrong on a 3 month trial IN ANY WAY get rid. (Don't forget to give them the terms and a contract in writing)

scottt24

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:29 pm »
give him a fair chance to prove himself, if its not working let him go or you will run the risk of repeating the cycle next time you take some one on.

if he is that good with custies maybe get him canvassing and offer him 2X whatever he picks up
Thanks,
              Scott

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:44:55 pm »
Hi

I think the older you get the higher the odds become against you- that's the reality. One of my customers is 55 and still works for British Gas digging up the road for gas leaks. Out performs the 2 youngsters working with him. But he's the exception.

I am 58 and was fine until I had a prostrate op last year - only working on half steam now and its a real struggle. I doesn't seem to get better with time either. Also have high blood pressure and still haven't found a tablet that works for me. Would I make my boss money window cleaning? Doubt it.
One of my customers had a prostate op 3 years ago, and has now taken early retirement as he could no longer hack it.

How your health holds up is what it's all about. I am a little overweight, but don't drink or smoke. Can I see myself working for the next 10 years WFP? Doubt it, but I have no choice but to carry on. There's no end in sight. Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy being out in good weather, talking to customers and doing a good job is very personally rewarding, but poor health can be a real downer.

This is why you take someone on in a trail basis for 3 to 6 months, to see how he performs. Older guys tend to be more reliable, but younger guys have the stamina as has been said on previous posts.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

JSMC

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:46:14 pm »
give the guy a chance. at his age yeah it's gonnabe that bit harder but he's probably trying and knows how hard it is to get a job at his age. sometimes things take time.

would you like someone to take a chanc eon you at 55? i know i would

geefree

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »
Cant climb over gates?.... gets tired ?

this guy is 55 not 75...

he is simply unfit and has no enthusiasm.

i know lots of guys at that age who can still do everything they did as a 35 year old.

This one sounds unfit?

is he overweight?

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:13 pm »
Interesting thread. I am going through some of these issues too, so please keep these observations going.

Might help you at some point spruce

Skyglide

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:11 pm »
Problem is we need people (the right people ) to clean windows. Can't use robots, can't find the right people.  All industries have the same problem.
Talk what figures you like for sales figures, but if you haven't got the right people it's fantasy. (And costly!)

Newannaive

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:32 pm »
i think the perfect age for this job is 42, best of both worlds  ;D

p.s give the guy a break and see how it goes.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:24:42 pm »
Hi Slumps

Agree - this is a good thread.
Yes, you are not as agile is you were when you were younger. I cant climb over gates now, but then my customers won't be happy if I did.
I got one of those folding ladders that is over 6 foot tall in a step ladder configuration - I use this to get over gates and fences without touching them if the gates are padlocked.

On the other hand. one of the local WFP lads dumped loads of work about 18 months ago that didn't have easy access to the back or that took too long. For him, time is money. A couple of minutes wasted here and there will mean one or two less houses cleaned that day. He is money driven. He's the first person to admit that he is not looking to do a 100% job either. Why strive to do a near perfect job which will take twice as long as the 90% job he does now?

I think there is something to be learnt from the principal of this. As heath deteriorates I may have to dump customers that require extra work, climbing over garages etc. After all most window cleaners cherish their bungalows as they can always keep them on after retirement for a bit of pocket money as they are usually easy work.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Steve_c

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 10:27:09 pm »
Hi all,  ive been trying out a new guy for the last few weeks, and as stated hes 55 years old and while hes great with the custies, iam finding its hard to pick jobs for him, when i send him out on his own, like he cant climb over gates, and ladders arnt his strong point, and he seems knackard by 2pm. and (the important thing) hes not making me any money as the amount of work he can do is only enough to just about pay him.
like he cant climb over gates, You sure?

geefree

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:55 pm »
Its a little sad really,... as windies .. most guys at 55 if in good health can run up and down ladders all day and still scale a few gates.

i see an old windie on my round (older than 60),,, scales a little wall jumps on the extention , cleans, and then hops back down like a teenager.

Its fitness and enthusiasm thats important.

Not age !

;)

jouk45

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 10:49:30 pm »
Its fitness and enthusiasm thats important.
gazza that is so true
i can wfp all day no problem, tried a few younger guys, they just could not handle it lol i kid you not,  ;D  and i am double their age lol