Crystal-clear

employing (self employed worker)
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:34:43 pm »
as soon as i can i would like to provide my van water etc and pay someone a decent percentage of the take.

I wana know where is the best place to find someone i will be paying about £80 per short day to use my van which is decent for 17 foot work so i would like someone who is polite hard working etc.

I would prefer someone with a bit of experience .

So hows the best way to find someone Gumtree :?

And apart from employers liability anything els i should consider?

cheers

mci services

Re: employing (self employed worker)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:39:45 pm »
you can't employ a self employed worker, and if you could you would not need employers liability as they would need to have their own public liability and equipment and van etc, they would also need their own work and you just subcontract to them, that would be the legal answer I think some may have slightly illegal advice though

deeege

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
Yes you will get plenty of suitable applicants from gumtree. Please keep us updated.  :o
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Crystal-clear

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:41:43 pm »
you can't employ a self employed worker, and if you could you would not need employers liability as they would need to have their own public liability and equipment and van etc, they would also need their own work and you just subcontract to them, that would be the legal answer I think some may have slightly illegal advice though

Stu i hear from loads of guys that they get them to sign a paper something saying you are self emplyed a bit like a taxi driver only he aint picking up people he is picking up a pole?

mci services

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:51:29 pm »
here is hmrc link

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/employment-status/index.htm#1

it is a grey subject that is often abused but if you get caught out it could cost you so do your homework

Crystal-clear

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »
Nice one,

I will look into it

Crystal-clear

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:08:45 pm »
Crazy ur right totally grey even hmrc say that in there own words too!

All i wana do is find a decent person get him to invoice me and since in the start he will only be working 2 days per week i thought him being self employed as i am would be ok.

i remember calling them up on this subject a while ago as a metter of fact, they seemed a little bit relaxed about it and said something along the lines of the economy would collapse if everyone did everything by the book lol

but what is employing the best way to go have you ever "employed" someone what does it cost for say 2 days per week worker?

cheers

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:22:51 pm »
if you control the work and the hours and give them the equipment they are not self employed,  u might try a cscs card  which is a bit like self employment but u still have to take tax off them

if they use there own van, tools, and just rent the work off u or invoice you for hours worked then they are self employed

a lot of taxi drivers hire the can/box for a set fee and are then self employed as they can work what hours they want

if u decided to fiddle the self employment and HMRC catch u   then u are liable for it not the employee as all he has got to say is i thought the tax was been taken out,  he might have to pay the tax, over the following years but u r the one who gets fined for fraud and poss prison

mci services

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:26:07 pm »
darren you are correct apart from the cscs card. that is just get access to building sites it is cis you mean

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:29:50 pm »
sorry cis

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:32:57 pm »
go along to ur local tax office and go on one of there tax courses   takes a day and they tell u what u can and cant do,  i went on one,  they said to me  we know u r going to try and rip us off   just dont do it stupily

Crystal-clear

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 12:12:54 am »
ok alot to learn ill get in touch with them again soon , i was wanted to find a decent person next year that cis card thing sounds good .

So they work and i pay there tax for them simple as that any other fees?

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 12:31:11 am »
no they work for you, u take 18% of there wages in tax and give them a voucher and keep that money and give it to the tax man,  do not spend it  as long as they have got that voucher  then u r responsible for there tax,  they pay there own ni,  but it means u can sack them any time and dont have to pay sick pay

Crystal-clear

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 12:39:36 am »
been reading about it Gosh Employment law is complex..i will need to seek advice when the time comes.

I think this is one thing the government can do is help small businesses and make it a bit easier for them to grow cos right now im thinking , Sod it ill just work alone next year too lol.it just sounds complicated . even if you find someone and do all that crap set all the payment stuff out , then your new member of staff goes on a 4 day bender doesn't come back to work again, what happens then!?

If it was just a bit easier many other people would be in a job im sure there is alot of small businesses out there that could use 2 days per week but dont wana fill out so many forms, they should try and make things a bit more simpler -_-

Crystal-clear

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 12:40:18 am »
no they work for you, u take 18% of there wages in tax and give them a voucher and keep that money and give it to the tax man,  do not spend it  as long as they have got that voucher  then u r responsible for there tax,  they pay there own ni,  but it means u can sack them any time and dont have to pay sick pay

Thank the lord this sounds simple is it legal!! :PP??

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 09:41:10 am »

Thank the lord this sounds simple is it legal!! :PP??

it is legal,  most of the building trade was on CIS cards, as was a lot of plumbers who worked for connaughts in liverpool,  it was designed so that the worker could be finished up any time and nothing they could do, but it meant the gov was still getting tax of them as they got it from the employer,  not the worker

Crystal-clear

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
So its easy

My add would be as follows:

Looking for person to Join a growing window cleaning company etc

1) must have driving lisence
2) Must be registered with the CIS card

So then he simply invoices me i keep - the 18% give him this voucher
and then i pay his tax end of the year ?

Simple as that everyone is happy?

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 12:58:58 pm »
basically yea,  u might have to speak to HMRC about a voucher book,  but it is basically that,  to register for a cis card they just fill in a form and it gets posted out to them, so u dont even need a lad already registered

Crystal-clear

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 01:06:02 pm »
Thank you very much Darren !!

May i ask do you do the same thing or do you have employees?

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »
i am looking at employing someone but pay them cash in hand till i know weather they are any good,  i use to employ when i was a plumber and had a mate who had a building company and use to help him out with his