ian loughlin

carpet cleaning start up
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:57:44 pm »
I am so close to jacking in my boring taxi driver job, and starting carpet cleaning, but i just need to complete these final few things on my business plan

If possible could i  ask for answers with names and numbers of companys that would directly help me out.

1)  Choosing a name for the company? Do i need to speak to Companies House.?

2)  Would i be a sole trader if the business is just myself and a van.?

3)  What insurance do i need to cover damage to the customers carpet.?

4)  Also.. any reviews on the Rotovac wand system. it looks amazing.

John Kelly

Re: carpet cleaning start up
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:35:56 pm »
You can operate as a sole trader straight away. You just need to inform the inland revenue that you are starting and let them know the trading name. As regards a name you only need to inform companies house if you are a limited company. Choose a catchy name, just make sure nobody else in your vicinity is using it as it just creates problems.
You will need public liability insurance and preferably treatment risk which would cover the items being worked on. But be aware that should you make a claim they will probably asked what training you have done.
I would book on a training course before starting. As well as giving you some confidence to start cleaning it may also save you money by preventing you buying the wrong kit.
Forget the Rotovac for now. You need a powerful machine to make it work and I wouldn't recommend it for a rank beginner,

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:01:36 pm »
Ian I have a couple of good friends who are taxi drivers, boring maybe , easy with out a doubt, I know for a fact that the 2 said friends couldnt clean carpets for a week , never mind a full time occupation ;)
They earn decent money, dont have that many worries regarding buisness, "the odd runner maybe, and odd drunk in their taxi. and if your like the majority of taxi drivers , who turn up and just blurt thier horn for the fare, dont bother to get out and open doors for the punter you may find it a little harder than you envisage ;)  ;)
How ever doesnt mean to say your like the norm, so good luck . and I would go along with johns advise regarding equipment etc, apart from the catchy name , I would and did choose a name that custy can relate to , either your own name or a name that relates to you been local, after all people do like to see local companys :-\.................
you will find any number of companys equipment on this forum , with lots of pro,s and cons including the above johns company, click on the link below his name
 :-[Sorry mods if im not allowed to give a direct point to a link :-\

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

ian loughlin

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 02:15:20 pm »
Thanks guys,

I have all ready compleated a Prochem training course, so i have the relevant knowledge and support, just need hands on experience.

What sort of £££ should i be looking at for the p/L and risk ass,

I have ordered a sx 2100 steampro 2000 power max, this should be powerful enough to use the rotovac.

carpetguy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 08:32:29 am »
Look down the page for insurance info

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 08:54:08 pm »
Ian

Take away your mind set of rotovac spend your money more wisely on starting your business.

Not knocking it, just trying to be adjective, I have a bigger brother to your new machine! I haven’t got one but have something else and sit in one of my garages, like collecting things. >:( ;D   

Len 
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

carpetguy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 06:13:34 pm »
Iagree with Len, many devices are bought, to increase agitation, or speed up cleaning times, or to give quicker drying times.............but, althought they mostly work, there is more to carry in / out with added setting up / putting away times and the majority end up getting little use, or stored in a corner.

This is due to the fact, that an experienced operator, simply goes " automatic " when arriving on site and it's quicker / easier to have a regular momentum.

Might sound daft, but I learned from an interesting experience when on a factory visit in Germany, while working with Bosch.

JS2

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 08:14:44 pm »
Ian

1.  Only if you're a Limited Co. (for which you'll definitely be seeking professional advice to set up)

2.  Yes, you'd be a sole trader if you hadn't opted for item 1 or joined up with anyone else as a partnership

3.  Treatmet risk, but you should also have Public Liability insurance in place in case you injure someone or damage items not worked on e.g. their TV

4.  Follow-up adverts/website info etc.

Regards

Pete (JS2)

Marly 11

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 12:17:58 pm »

Make sure your insurance covers with the Prochem course you have done, I called a couple of Insurance Brokers and they told me it was not adequate to get treatment risk cover!
"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"

ian loughlin

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 11:08:09 pm »
Thank you all for your info.