Simon Gerrard

Are there too many Facebook groups?
« on: September 19, 2018, 05:19:58 pm »
There seem to be so many Facebook Carpet cleaning groups popping up and to me it is having the effect of splitting us up as a community, a community originally built by the early Internet forums,  CleanitUp, Cleantalk and  Truckmounters, that for the first time brought us all together as one big community.
Now though, with the endless groups springing up on a daily basis you need an awful lot of time on your hands in order to keep in touch, or just give it all up which I fear is the conclusion many will come to and have the effect of splitting us back up again, which would be a shame.

Simon

*Hector*

Re: Are there too many Facebook groups?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 05:54:09 pm »
I don't have a farcebook account, so here is the only place you get me

;D ;D ;D

perhaps I need to diversify      ??? ???

hmmmmmmmmm

;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:15:24 pm »
That’s how I’ve managed to swerve you for so long, Hectorus😬

*Hector*

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:19:33 pm »
Git

that's you off the Xmas card list again

;D ;D

that said, nice to hear from you again Simon
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Simon Gerrard

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 06:49:22 pm »
The amount of Facebook groups does dilute the number of members that visit each one, and people tend to chose the one that their  mate started to show support..

But I find that my newsfeed on Facebook brings up the latest post from each group i’m In so I don’t have to look at each individual group.

But it has killed the forums,  and its not a good thing, you find on the forums people usually will make an effort to compile a legible,  detailed post  but on face book it’s just a a quick couple of sentences sometimes even done In textspeak  it not conducive to  intelligent  conversation 
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:09 pm »
There seems to be one particular person on Facebook that keeps making new cleaning groups - he keeps adding me to another new one he has created atleast once a week. Nonsense

dan paton

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 08:09:49 am »
I don't think there is too many.  The truth is imo that a couple of the newer groups accommodate all types of carpet cleaners. The older groups it tends to be the same people commenting constantly and it's their way or no way. If someone dares have a different take on things they get shot down in flames with carpet cleaning snobbery. The carpet cleaning community will never be united in one group simply because of huge ego's.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 09:17:01 am »
I don’t recognise Dan’s comments. There have always been factions within groups and if there is a good thing about the number of fb groups it’s that they have tended to go off in their own direction.
The quality of conversation, input and knowledge sharing has become diluted with all the groups and I think that is a shame, But then that’s progress, or is it?

Simon

Robin Ray

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 02:26:21 pm »
I agree, there are too many groups to keep up with. It was better when it was just here and a couple of other forums. All these facebook groups are platforms for sales from various suppliers just like cleantalk. The fact is you know if you go on cleantalk its the "solutions" forum and here has always been generally unbiased, its a shame its become so thin on the ground. You are never quite sure what the agenda is on some of the facebook groups.

Facebook is the future though and as long as people use it it will be king. Some People cant have breakfast without posting what they had on facebook.

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 09:42:08 am »
I am not sure to be honest. The problem with Facebook is that it really let's people go wild with their egos and at times step way over the line.
Everything written has some kind of agenda but I think it will go full circle and people will come back to forums.
The question should be why aren't people using this or other forums as much.
Cleantalk whilst being an extension of solutions is still very successful and people post a lot on there, so It can't be a lack of interest in forums?
The other thing is you can easily search for info on forums which you can't do on Facebook.
I have come off for a month, concerned about lots of things especially how much time I wasted.
Guess what I miss nothing and have more time. I think eventually everyone will realise this and that the only reliable source of genuine info is found on industry specific forums.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 11:07:12 am »
I agree with you Jonathan. It seems that everyone  wants to have their own Facebook  group for their own reasons and it is all too easy to do that and the effect of is that great forums like this and others are slowly dying and I think they may be a thing of the past before the Facebook fad has run its course, which would be a terrible shame.

Robin Ray

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 03:07:22 pm »
What prompted you to come back to cleanitup Simon? These are your first posts here for some time.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 07:17:31 pm »
Hi Robin,
You’re right, I haven’t been on here for ages, ironically because I was spending too much time on Facebook groups. I’m glad to see this forum and Truckmounters has withstood the splurge of fb groups.

Simon

Robin Ray

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »
Hi Robin,
You’re right, I haven’t been on here for ages, ironically because I was spending too much time on Facebook groups. I’m glad to see this forum and Truckmounters has withstood the splurge of fb groups.

Simon

Welcome back

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 07:41:33 pm »
I was discussing with the admin that we have lost the fight against Facebook.

Facebook is not tied into everyone’s life, while they are chatting with family and friend in the same live feed is the other groups they belong to. So they constantly see the latest post to the carpet groups.  with a forum they have to go log on, Facebook is put  there automatically

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Robin Ray

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:18 pm »
I was discussing with the admin that we have lost the fight against Facebook.

Facebook is not tied into everyone’s life, while they are chatting with family and friend in the same live feed is the other groups they belong to. So they constantly see the latest post to the carpet groups.  with a forum they have to go log on, Facebook is put  there automatically

I kind of agree.... but there are more older faces appearing more on here now more often, Simon being one.

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 04:40:07 pm »
I come on here and read,

the replies are more to the point,

I've just bought myself an old alltec machine, it's pretty ancient, but does a job, quite a few facebookers are more intent on showing their brand spanking new machines that cost 10x as much to do the same job.. A lot seem to think they are akin to rocket scientists, i know it's not as simple as pointing a wand and hope for the best, but they do over complicate things...

I've bought some Selden cleaner this morning, company i've not seen mentioned on facebook groups, and the distributed said he sells loads, smells good, works well.. and just shows there are thousands doing the same job that don't bother with facebook forums.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 06:09:19 pm »
I went to Seldon once it’s in the Peak District they aren’t renound for their carpet cleaning products if I could suggest that you check the ph level so you know what to use and not use it on also mix a solution up and put it in a cup and leave it overnight and in the morning check it to see how soapy it is although not a scientific way it could show you how it’s going to leave fibres, years ago I had some Karcher powder that would artificially soil carpets.

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 09:02:52 pm »
I went to Seldon once it’s in the Peak District they aren’t renound for their carpet cleaning products if I could suggest that you check the ph level so you know what to use and not use it on also mix a solution up and put it in a cup and leave it overnight and in the morning check it to see how soapy it is although not a scientific way it could show you how it’s going to leave fibres, years ago I had some Karcher powder that would artificially soil carpets.

it's already on the side haha,

I'm doing a freinds carpet as a test tomorrow for it, its ph12, so poly only, always like to try new things,