wcs.

a New
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:00:19 pm »
?

Re: Went looking for a window cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »
why did you turn them down, do you only do comercials?

Gerard  :)

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:16:43 pm »
should have sub contracted them to the trad guy..   ::)

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:57:42 pm »
Its very hard to give you an answer to your origional question "is this part of my learning curve".

I could understand if they were too small a job for you, and you only wont to take on larger jobs. I guess that would mean your round has developed and you aren't quite as desperate for work anymore. But wouldn't say it is a learning curve more a stage in your developement.

However, if you had the time and they where of an average size compared to your other customers and priced them well, you shouldn't turn down the work.

I can see what you are saying in your second post though, it all takes time to develope your round. So good luck mate.

Gerard  :)

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:12 pm »
in my eyes, its make money for now, and refine rounds for later.

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 09:35:33 pm »
so you turned down several resi jobs near to a commercial job you aleady do
why ???
did  you even go and look at them

R.V.A Window Cleaning Services

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 11:21:15 pm »
What a load of bull  >:( 2 years later and i'm MR big HA HA HA  :o
In the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king

L.J.Thorpe

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 11:29:04 pm »
What a load of bull  >:( 2 years later and i'm MR big HA HA HA  :o
;D ;D ;D fairplay mate ;)
exactly what i thought ,but held back cos some fanny might accuse me of being negative ::)
work is work
take it on and (like chris galloway says)refine after

pingu

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 06:42:35 am »
Ewan...I think you're right...I have only been going a smidge of 2 years and am not full but I have turned down work before on the basis that it just does not fit with my business ambitions.  We could all do with a little extra income but sometimes that little extra can be a job that proves not to be as profitable as it first appears, so yes turning down work sometimes is for the best of your business on many levels.

I have work as I imagine you do that you just hate doing even though it brings in the pennies...the great thing about our line of work is we can try to create a work enviroment that suits us...hey I try to be out of the house no more than 6 hours a day and aim to work only 4 days a week...if I can turnover the numbers I am looking at and enjoy my work then I am a happy bunny.

I am still working on it and that is the 'learning curve' or as Gerard put 'a stage in your developement' either way it is trying to make the best business that you can....

Cheers
Dave.

jaykie

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 08:29:18 am »
I pretty much take on all work and price it nicely as MR &Mrs Small house may recommend me to Mr & Mrs Big house and so on.

ok cleaning

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 02:19:54 pm »
i have been cleaning windows for 15 years now and i did never turned any work down unless if i had to and of the day money is money we dont all live in the palaces so we should not think that big house big money clean it but small house little money so leave it i think this  is one of the biggest mistakes people like yourself can do mate the time might come you might be regret you turned jobs down and please ,please  2 years is not a long time in any business.

WCE

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 02:47:51 pm »
Doesn’t matter if you do small houses what does matter if you price correctly

Well, if they were there and you were in the area..... Why didn't you price them at a rate that suited you? If they were happy you would of had some well priced domestic work! What I would of done was priced them at the rate I wanted. If they were happy and went for it then bingo! If not then maybe I would of gone and found the other guy and pointed him in their direction. What I would NOT of done was just walk away without even looking at it ;)   
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

ftp

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 06:53:29 pm »
Doesn’t matter if you do small houses what does matter if you price correctly or nicely as you put it.

I also got a Doctors surgery last week, I was disappointed when I got there as it was a converted residential (very small) terraced house, last window cleaner charge £5 told the manager I wont be charging nowhere close to that price, but he still asked me to look and quote.

Didn’t want to do it, so I gave a quote for cleaning in and out £25 which they accepted, I won’t do just the outside for £15 which is the most you could ask for, but it is was turning up for £25.00.

So you would clean the outside for £15 but the insides for£10? that makes no sense at all?

ftp

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 07:03:16 pm »
My point is Ewans pricing is cock eyed. Always charge more for insides! If the outside was worth £15 then the insides alone should be £20 at least, giving him a £35 job.

ronnie paton

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 08:24:54 pm »
ewan its your business and what ever works for you.....if it was me i would of priced high so if i did get it was well worth adding into the commercail job, but if i wasnt full i would take them on  but if i was full like i am i turn work down alot....

my reasons not enough work, not the right price, not the right area not got time to canvass............dont let people say well iv been in business 15 years but never turned it down so im right and your wrong.

iv been in business3 years iv turned work down lots and im conifedent that the choices i make her the right ones and i have a more succesful business than i lot of 15yearers i know.

seandyer2003

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:29:30 pm »
i usually price at a rate that is very good, if its not ideal work, then if you get it great but more than often they will say no, but you arent bothered because it was a pain in the butt in the first place, however if you get it at a good rate, then its all good :)

NWH

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 08:32:58 pm »
I did a job last week and for the outsides it`s normally £30,i charged her £90 for inside and out and she was well happy.I havn`t done the insides for over 2 years as she works all hours so is hardly ever in,some of them needed doing twice so the price was warranted.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 08:33:08 pm »
I always use to charge 1 & 1/2 times the outside value for insides and get them to remove anything on the window sills with a phone call beforehand. Don't bother with insides anymore...not worth the hassle.

jodan63

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:05 pm »
ewan  do u live in cuckoo land or west midlands! i am a newbie and am leafleting afar . dont/cant turn anyone down .as long as i have priced it right( meaning enough for me) then why not do them ? cant understand ur way of working . you must be a lucky bloke ,having too many house,,so u can be selective . not all of us are in that position

peter holley

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 11:20:56 pm »
16 yrs,..... :o :o :o madness....madness    no wonder im busy.... but not a "busy fool"
some people will pay a\ lot of money for a reliable wc and its CASH!!!!

we are on the look out for money ...not status...cash is king ;D

peter holley

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2008, 08:29:28 am »
16 yrs,..... :o :o :o madness....madness    no wonder im busy.... but not a "busy fool"
some people will pay a\ lot of money for a reliable wc and its CASH!!!!

we are on the look out for money ...not status...cash is king ;D

The rich man thinks of the future, the poor man thinks of today.   ;D

everyday is life...live the life...viva la vida

peter holley

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2008, 12:47:43 pm »
i have minimum charge or a price that reflects the inconvenience of the location...however i still turn work away, but not work that is a few (3 0r more houses together) if i am in that area....

i am also more flexible these days as we enter a recession even though my buisness is still growing, i dont know what lies ahead, and so i want to be prepared to weather the storm.

i also prioritise my work , and only do my worst paying jobs when i have the time, this means i am sometimes a couple of weeks late on these jobs.

i know i am making good headway as i am always refining and adjusting my prices etc.

ftp

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2008, 02:42:31 pm »
Likewise, if i get turned away for whatever reason then they go to the bottom of my list of priority jobs. I might not turn up again for another month or longer. Customers like that are no good to me.

peter holley

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2008, 02:48:31 pm »
Likewise, if i get turned away for whatever reason then they go to the bottom of my list of priority jobs. I might not turn up again for another month or longer. Customers like that are no good to me.

it also sends out the message that you dont need them as much as they think you do...