L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

Algarde Hose / Raindrip Hose
« on: July 19, 2008, 08:24:50 am »
I guess this is mainly for Jeff Brimble,but thought I`d go public
Anyway.Whats the advantage of Algarde hose over raindrip hose?
Awhile back now I got some black 6 millimeter inside diameter
Hose from my aquatics shop.It`s tougher but not as pliable as
Algarde,it will though take `O`clips on the barb of ya couplings.
I`m assuming this is the eqivalant of raindrip.I`ve found that super
Glue for Algarde hose dos`nt work too well.If it`s not raindrip that
I`ve got and it`s something else,who in the UK stock raindrip hose?
Thanks.

Lewis Doubtfire  Gleem Clean ( The Blade Runner )
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

john tomkins

Re: Algarde Hose / Raindrip Hose
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:03:46 am »
This is the raindrip hose I use, it's 6mm outside so can be used with the push fitting connectors, dont know if that's the type you are on about?
Cheap enough anyway.

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/micro-irrigation-set/path/green-house-heaters-hoses-hose-reels-connec

matt

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:45:03 am »
lewis, i replied on the DIY forum

Ian W

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:49:25 am »
This is the raindrip hose I use, it's 6mm outside so can be used with the push fitting connectors, dont know if that's the type you are on about?
Cheap enough anyway.

www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/micro-irrigation-set/path/green-house-heaters-hoses-hose-reels-connec

I bought that too. Haven't tried it yet.
My dad bought exactly the same thing from Wilkinsons last year when they were selling their gardening stuff off at the end of the season. He paid a couple of pounds for each set and bought 3 of them.  ::)
If you want to try it, or want some spares, then it might be worth a look there.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

dai

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 01:38:49 pm »
The advantage for me is being able to fold it anywhere to stop the flow, and folding it repeatedly does no damage whatsoever.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »
Ian is spot on Wilco are selling watering sets with about 20 metres of the hose for £6.99 or an internet search will get you 100m for approx £12.99

Raindrip will take the pressure of the bigger 100psi pumps. The Algarde/Yamitsu can burst after some time.
11 years ago the Raindrip was an American micro irrigation hose that was softer than std hose and made out of "vinyl" it took me 5 years to work out the USA terminology was what we called Polyvinylchloride or PVC. Its a single layered true microbore of 1/4"/4mmID 6mm OD and is ideal for moving smaller quantities of water. Its more supple than the cheaper B&Q equivalent.
The Algarde/Yamitsu aquarium hose is lighter and extremely flexible and ideal for modular poles as it "grips" the conical pole better than the vinyl.
So if you want toughness use the Vinyl, for lightness and suppleness that withstands freezing/heat use the Silicon.
Because both are microbore, they will naturally cut your water consumption dramatically.

Which do you prefer Lewis- and why ?

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 06:10:48 pm »
Thanks John,I phoned my local Machine Mart,they only
Stock ½ inch bore.although the fella said he could get me
Some by Monday.It`s made by Kingfisher he said.I`ve done
A google search but can`t find anything.Anyone else?

Jeff,will pm ya oaky
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 06:15:52 pm »
Yep the Raindrip seems to have been remarketed by Kingfisher and is the same as sold in Wolco for £6.99 about 20 metres