robertphil

a builders messin with me
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:28:40 pm »
the last year or so as a sideline,  iv been doing builders cleans for this expanding firm, luxury homes for the most part . outsides only often high and difficult work  behind sun blinds etc .
 well now the firm have built themselves a big new HQ with big glass front ,fancy facia etc.        they asked me to quote a monthly clean  price inc fascia which i did

then last week text me can you go do it at short notice (outside and in + interior doors,  fascia) .   the painters and carpet fitters are there but can you do it

ok, so took my team of 4  off the regular work and we busted a gut on it and it came up lovely .
thank god iv good workers who when the chips are down ,do the necessary

Day after we do it,the firm rings up,thanks very much but we are getting a different guy to do the monthly clean ,on a trial, if he doesnt work out we will ring you up,ok

how would you handle it?

Clever Forum Name

Re: a builders messin with me
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:40:48 pm »
I think Frank said it best.

" You're riding high in April, shot down in May "

Life mate, been dumped on a £4 house and a £900 commercial job

robertphil

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:05:23 pm »
im now thinkin this other guy has been letting us do the hard stuff while he follows in our wake doing the cream .   in Early spring the builder is finishing 6  four storey  huge houses and i know its me thatll be asked to clean em ,the builders clean .   my workers reckon i should say say no and end our connection with the firm  .       

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:11:59 pm »
If you earn ok out of it then thats all the matters though.

I get used on bad end of tenancy cleans. Another firm gets the easy ones. But at £40 an hour, couldnt give a **** lol

chanster00

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:09 pm »
No don't end it but no favours charge top doller! I mean TOP. Let them end it with you.

jarvy

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:14:15 pm »
im now thinkin this other guy has been letting us do the hard stuff while he follows in our wake doing the cream .   in Early spring the builder is finishing 6  four storey  huge houses and i know its me thatll be asked to clean em ,the builders clean .   my workers reckon i should say say no and end our connection with the firm  .       
I wouldn't burn yer bridges, you might get it back and other work too.
Just my opinion though..
www.wedgwoodcleaning.co.uk

"If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid"

George P

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:15:54 pm »
why would you want to cut ties, never mind what staff say, its providing them with work,
even if you only get the builders cleans it doesnt matter as long as they pay what you ask,
you could also ask him directly why you dont get the chance to do them regularly

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:33:59 pm »
I would speak with them, preferable in person but if not then the phone.

Explain what you just have to us & how you feel about it. Tell them you busted your guts & bent over backwards for them- leaving another job etc etc.

I certainly would not leave it.

robertphil

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »
how much would u lads av priced that job at?     and how much the monthly clean  includin the orange facias which are 4 sided

Aqua Power Solutions

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:32 pm »
Be professional, take it on the chin and dont jeopardize your relationship with the client. Tomorrow is another day !
Aqua Power Solutions external property maintenance 01423 541 400 Mobile 0752 158 3240  Visit our Facebook page for examples of our work https://www.facebook.com/Aqua-Power-Solutions-332485570200950/

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:41:35 pm »
could be that you actually do a rubbish job or that you are to dear.

the builder has the right to choose who he likes

move on and don't worry :D

robbo333

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 09:44:50 pm »
Make sure you're getting top prices for the work he does give you, and don't worry about the work he doesn't give you.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

deeege

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:56:54 pm »
That job looks ideal for WFP Bobby. You may be a lot more expensive because your price is for trad.

You win some you lose some, chin up and move on.

"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

robertphil

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 10:01:41 pm »
agree it is really a wfp job , but what would u av priced it for the outs? and for the ins ?

deeege

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:08 pm »
I couldn't say because the poor quality pic, sorry.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

PoleKing

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 10:31:45 pm »

Add 25% to your price.
If you lose it-do you care?
If you get it you won't mind as much.
www.LanesWindowCleaning.com

It's just the internet. Try not to worry.

Mist A Bit

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:43 pm »
If you shop at asda and then try tesco you have a right to do that. Asda won't turn you away if you come back. Business is business' the building firm have the right to try  get a new deal, but if they come back to you it proves the value of your service

G Griffin

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 05:10:49 pm »
Price every job for them as a one off, from now on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »
How prompt do they pay? If acceptable I would go this way.

Ring ring?

"Hello, Robertphil Trad. Luddite Window Cleaning Speaking."

Builder messr.

"Hi Rob! We've got another minging awful backbreaking ladder-slipping job for you and it need's doing Xmas eve at 3 am."

You.

"I'm very sorry, we have to prioritise our work for our regular window cleaning customers to come first; why don't you ask your regular cleaners?"

Them.

"Well they only do wfp and so can't do a proper builder's clean like you can."

You.

Option 1: OK but I'll have to do it around my better work and your price will be "superextortionatefragilistic XP£££££££idocious".

Option 2: I'm sorry I don't do sloppy seconds, good bye.

Option 3: I'll do it when you ask at supersuperduperextortionatefragilistic etc ...

But only consider doing it if their payment record is spotless and you get the deal in writing.
It's a game of three halves!

robertphil

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 06:30:09 pm »
i love you guys! replies   and av taken them all in

i did the outsides at £90 (inc the orange bits which were a bitch to get to the back of  with blinds ) and the insides at £90 inc frames  ,took 3 hours