roundbuilder

Re: Window cleaning franchise for sale - Southampton area
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:18 am »
I didnt mean for a debate to start im just curious how anyone can state they will find enough work to cater for the franchisee's needs through there own marketing.
Id happily hand over 6k if that was all it took to get a 8k a month round and any dropouts or cancelations were replaced for me and hand over a 20% loyalty each month giving me 5-6k to myself a month so to a franchisee thats a bargain 6k a month for life for a 1 off 6k payout to buy in. but in reality i dont think it would happen like that as its not so easy gaining regular loyal customers anymore and as you have been only going 3 years vin i think you may find that out the hard way. if you had 3 people interested all at once how would you cator for them giving them loyal decent customers that wont be the troubled 1 offs and messers. You cannot guarantee that there work will be to there needs, what if they are crap at cleaning and you forever are replacing 25-30 custermera a week, all the franchise papers would be signed so it would be on you to keep the work above the minimum required, just sounds a lot of hard work to me especialy when you get more and more franchises on board.

I could probably split what i have into 4 half decent franchise's but id be forever working for them canvassing and maintaining there customer base fixing there problems etc etc. i havnt got it in me to franchise but i do admire the guys that do and i hope it all works out for you vin.

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 11:56:03 am »
These franchises are cons, and the prices he charges on his website are unsustainable earn your own money. 

Ouch!

Your completely misguided on that one. Franchising is one of the best ways to enable someone with no knowledge to have a ready to run business without the stress of knowing how to build up a business.

It's not that much different to employing. Its a better deal for both parties.

I wish I had the know-how and bottle 20 years ago to go down this route.
When I see the lads that have worked with me who I have enables to set up on their own and when I think about the 100's of customers I have let go for a song, I weep.

If I had franchised back then, considering the work that has passed through my hands, I could be sat on a beach somewhere sipping Martini. 

Even since 2005 I have more suspended rounds on George than current work.

It's how all business works some have the know-how some have the braun. Both make money, but the guy with the know-how makes more.

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:44 pm »
These franchises are cons, and the prices he charges on his website are unsustainable earn your own money. 

Low priced work is all in the provider's head. Get over it.

As for earn your own money, do you not know how the world works? The vast majority work for someone else and make them money.

Ian sells his knowledge, Vin sells his. Go for it yourself maybe you can do it better and sell your knowledge.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 02:38:11 pm »

Ouch!

Your completely misguided on that one. Franchising is one of the best ways to enable someone with no knowledge to have a ready to run business without the stress of knowing how to build up a business.

It's not that much different to employing. Its a better deal for both parties.

I wish I had the know-how and bottle 20 years ago to go down this route.
When I see the lads that have worked with me who I have enables to set up on their own and when I think about the 100's of customers I have let go for a song, I weep.

If I had franchised back then, considering the work that has passed through my hands, I could be sat on a beach somewhere sipping Martini. 

Even since 2005 I have more suspended rounds on George than current work.

It's how all business works some have the know-how some have the braun. Both make money, but the guy with the know-how makes more.

It's still not too late, SunShine - I didn't take on my first franchisee till September 2006 - shortly before my 62nd birthday.  By the end of 2009 I had my six in place, as well as two sub-franchisees ;)

G Griffin

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 02:51:50 pm »
If he wants to sip Martini on a beach, there's no hope for him now, Ian  ;D.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 03:43:35 pm »
If he wants to sip Martini on a beach, there's no hope for him now, Ian  ;D.

;D

Frankybadboy

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 04:14:25 pm »
wish you all the best vin,

3year ago was that meeting in the carpark :D

Perfect Windows

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:47 pm »

Window cleaning franchise for sale - Southampton area
« on: Yesterday at 05:11:49 pm »

We carry out all your marketing for you and will get you to the turnover you require. We also give you extensive training on how to run the business plus support for the entire time you are one of our franchisees.

Vin does that mean if someone pays £5995 you will get them as much work as they can handle/require or is there extra cost as the way i read it you would be doing all the marketing for the franchisee's customer base, if your franchisee wants 2k a week of work then that is a lot of marketing you will have to do for £5995.

Hi Mick,

If the franchisee wants (and can handle and stay happy with) £2,000 of work a week then I will get it for them.  I've done a LOT of work on the cost and most efficient ways of gaining customers and I know it's sustainable.  You need to remember that the aim here is to have franchisees who are so happy that they stay with me for a LONG time, so the short-term cost of gaining work is, to some extent, irrelevant compared to a percentage for the next ten years.

Also, this is the first franchise sale so I'm not really fussed about making a fortune - I'll be charging more in future as I'll have someone prepared to state that my numbers and attitude are right.

I would also say that I'm not looking for franchisees who want to do £2,000 a week.  I want happy franchisees and I'm not sure that forty-hour weeks could ever lead to that result.  I want people who want a decent living working a three day week.

Vin

Dave Willis

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 05:39:07 pm »

Does Vin do dogging too?

Perfect Windows

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »

"These franchises are cons": Abuse with no foundation, not worthy of a response.

"the prices he charges on his website are unsustainable": Just under 800 people in Southampton don't agree with him.  They pay me with a smile and on time every time I go.  I'm putting prices up in May so I have already started telling people (my 12-weeklies, next clean will be May) and without exception they have said something along the lines of "no problem".  Franchisees will see my books and round lists so they know the customers are there and are constant.

"earn your own money": by all means, do so.  A franchise is not for everybody.  If you think back to how hard it felt to take the plunge and start out on your own with no support, then you'll know how tough it can be.  A franchise allows the franchisee to take that plunge with the help and support of someone who has done it and who has ironed out all the problems he can.  If you want to take the plunge on your own, then all power to your elbow.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »
His motive is money driven, nothing else, spend the 6 grand on your own set up, leaflet, canvass and earn your own money  

One of my motives is money.  Why are you a window cleaner?  Charity?

I have plenty of other motives as well.

Vin

Frankybadboy

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 05:58:52 pm »

Does Vin do dogging too?
that be telling ;D ;D ;D

Perfect Windows

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:23 pm »
I didnt mean for a debate to start im just curious how anyone can state they will find enough work to cater for the franchisee's needs through there own marketing.
Id happily hand over 6k if that was all it took to get a 8k a month round and any dropouts or cancelations were replaced for me and hand over a 20% loyalty each month giving me 5-6k to myself a month so to a franchisee thats a bargain 6k a month for life for a 1 off 6k payout to buy in. but in reality i dont think it would happen like that as its not so easy gaining regular loyal customers anymore and as you have been only going 3 years vin i think you may find that out the hard way. if you had 3 people interested all at once how would you cator for them giving them loyal decent customers that wont be the troubled 1 offs and messers. You cannot guarantee that there work will be to there needs, what if they are crap at cleaning and you forever are replacing 25-30 custermera a week, all the franchise papers would be signed so it would be on you to keep the work above the minimum required, just sounds a lot of hard work to me especialy when you get more and more franchises on board.

I could probably split what i have into 4 half decent franchise's but id be forever working for them canvassing and maintaining there customer base fixing there problems etc etc. i havnt got it in me to franchise but i do admire the guys that do and i hope it all works out for you vin.

Mick, lots of good comments:

"in reality i dont think it would happen like that as its not so easy gaining regular loyal customers anymore and as you have been only going 3 years vin i think you may find that out the hard way": Despite the fact that we haven't done ANY active marketing (i.e. other than the website) since the end of March last year, the phone keeps ringing.  And ringing.  And ringing.  We have turned away a silly number of prospective customers and still put loads onto our waiting list.  However, things may well have changed when it comes to trying to generate customers rapidly for a new starter.  If it's difficult, I'll just have to work harder and spend more money gaining customers.

"if you had 3 people interested all at once how would you cator for ...": I  wouldn't take on three at once.  The way it'll work is franchisee number one comes on and when he gets close to full, number two is taken on.  I will take up the slack between the first and second, as I really don't want to have to let down potential customers.

"loyal decent customers that wont be the troubled 1 offs and messers": Around 20% of our new customers don't get to the fourth clean.  After that we seem to have them till they move or die.  I'll live with that.

"what if they are crap at cleaning and you forever are replacing 25-30 custermera a week, all the franchise papers would be signed so it would be on you to keep the work above the minimum required": The franchise agreement covers that.  I also have to spend a lot of time selecting people who care about customers.

"I could probably split what i have into 4 half decent franchise's but id be forever working for them canvassing and maintaining there customer base fixing there problems etc etc. ": What you list as things you wouldn't like about it are the things I'd love.  I love gaining customers and I love solving problems.

" i hope it all works out for you vin."

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 06:07:08 pm »

And I thought that day was cold!  If I knew days like today existed I'd never have stepped out of the door.

I do need to thank Franky publicly for getting me off on the right foot three years ago (must have been about this time of year).

Sadly confused on the question of fans versus pencils (he had a brush with both!) but otherwise a terrific start in the game.

Didn't complain when during my first clean he did six.

Got me my first cup of coffee from a customer.

Thanks, Frank,

Vin

Perfect Windows

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 06:07:52 pm »

Does Vin do dogging too?

I flash my lights for no man.

Vin

roundbuilder

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 06:21:10 pm »
Thanks vin. You have obviously done your homework. I spoke to ian lancaster on the phone briefly earlier and he explained it isnt an overnight process getting a franchisee to the point where they have enough regular work but it did make sence even if takes 3 years you will get the franchisee to where he wants to be with the business.
i find it interesting you enjoy parts of the job that many dont but i guess that is what is going to make you a success in the franchise market. It is something for me to think about for in the future though.

Silver Surfer

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2013, 07:34:27 pm »
Thanks vin. You have obviously done your homework. I spoke to ian lancaster on the phone briefly earlier and he explained it isnt an overnight process getting a franchisee to the point where they have enough regular work but it did make sence even if takes 3 years you will get the franchisee to where he wants to be with the business.
i find it interesting you enjoy parts of the job that many dont but i guess that is what is going to make you a success in the franchise market. It is something for me to think about for in the future though.

Can I be your first franchisee Mick!!!!!....

roundbuilder

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »

Lol sure why not.

Silver Surfer

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »

But only if i can have £3000 worth a week... ;D

Lol sure why not.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2013, 06:43:17 am »

Yes, I've done all my homework but it's still an adventure.

The problem with 'three years to get a franchisee where they want to be' is that they have to pay their bills while you're doing that.  Fortunately I have leafletting down to an art where I can turn on a tap and generate business at a particular rate.  It also halps that I'm currently running quite a way over capacity so there's work to hand over on day one.  I don't envisage it taking long to get them their target turnover.

If you do decide to do it in future, feel free to give me a call; I'll have been through another learning experience and may be able to help.

Vin