Tony Edwards

Re: Custy said I scratched the glass
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:46 pm »

Says she is going to sue me !

Bring it on, I did not damage her property and I have no assets in my name.

ben M

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »
have you got an insurance? if yes contact them and don't worry about it anymore!

Tony Edwards

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »

I have but no way I am putting this thru my insurance for a chance like this

If she wants to go thru insurance let her go down the legal route

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:52 pm »

Says she is going to sue me !

Bring it on, I did not damage her property and I have no assets in my name.
ive had this said to me before! nothing ever came of it!

Perfect Windows

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 08:50:47 pm »

She can demand money
You say no
She sends u a letter
you say no / ignore
she goes to small claims court (prob called summit else these days)
you turn up on day and win ..... happy days

If you ignore a letter, you're reducing your chances of winning.  You have to show that you've tried to resolve the matter.  Be reasonable at all times.

Vin

Dave66

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 09:57:30 pm »
either ignore her or write her a cheque out for 8k  ;D
plenty of cream...plenty of sugar!

rosskesava

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 09:57:59 pm »
I've only once been accused of scratching glass with a scraper years ago. These people being rich and wealthy threatened hell, fire and damnation.

Obviously I went round to see them and got a whole pile of abuse but what I ended up doing was giving them the scraper (with a new blade) and while I watched, told them to try it on the doors that I was supposed to have scratched. I wet the glass with much much more detergent than I normally use, just in case, and after going over part of the glass, I let the husband have a go which he did.

I said to them that when they take me to court, I'll be taking a bit of glass and a scraper with me as my defense.

I didn't even wait for them to wipe the glass dry and inspect it. I just left. I never heard from them again.

I think also maybe write to this customer and explain you've never been accused of scratching glass with a scraper designed for use on glass and that if these types of scrapers were known for such problems, then cleaning supply companies wouldn't sell them or there'd be a warning about using them on glass.

Also maybe suggest that they try using a scraper themselves and see if it scratches the glass.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 07:57:45 am »
Tell her verbally that you will resist any claims against you as you have not scratched her glass. Tell her you have noted the conversation down stating date time and telephone record including her number and your number. Repeat that you emphatically deny any such thing.

Do not get drawn into conversation.

If she asks where the marks came from - you say I do not know; they were there before I cleaned. If she says that's not possible you say you aren't there to guess how and when they got there but that you did not do it.

Tell her you clean over one hundred pieces of glass a day and have done for XX years and have never had a complaint of such a nature before.

If she threatens to sue say that if she does you will defend your reputation robustly, will attend any court proceedings and that you will reclaim any costs incurred.

Then wait ...

Don't talk to her, don't try to help don't send back a reply without getting further advice.

If paper lands on the mat come back here before you reply and I will tell you what to do!  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

Tony Edwards

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 08:03:31 am »
Cheers gold

That's exactly what I have done so far. I just had a gut feeling when I started the job that she was going to be trouble. Lesson learnt trust your instincts.

formb

formb

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 08:31:26 am »
Here is a letter I use after a customer has had building work:

Dear            ,

When we came round today to clean your windows we noticed that you have had some building work done to your house. This has meant that we need to re-quote you any additional work required.

We have not cleaned your windows today.

Before we go ahead and start cleaning your windows again we ask that you inspect all your windows for damage, i.e. scratches, stone chips, cement etc. In our experience it is quite likely that there will be damage which has taken place either before installation, during the building process or on removal of building debris from the glass.

We have been cleaning windows for over 20 years, during that time we have done many builders cleans both for domestic customers and for national building firms. Our equipment is specifically designed for the purpose of cleaning windows. Everyone on our staff has been trained in the safe removal of building debris. If in doubt, visit www.thefieldsco.com where you will find lots of information on the causes of scratches, and how to spot them.

If you want us to clean your windows your new regular price will be:         

Please contact me if you are happy for us to go ahead.

formb

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:09 am »
I'd go with the general consensus and tell her it was not you. End of story.

I have been threatened with legal action in the past also. It is very unlikely that anything will happen. As a precaution I'd get a health and safety policy drawn up which includes something along the lines of:

Risk: Damaging window

Threat: Low

Precaution: Routine inspection and maintenance of equipment

Risk after precaution: As low as reasonably practible

jon gore window cl

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 09:05:13 am »
Some types of glass does easily scratch - especially patio doors - they seem to have the type of glass that is susceptible to scratching using a blade. WFP brushes can scratch certain types of glass - especially if you wipe the sills and pick up sand particles that come off from concrete roof tiles and then happily start working on the next pane without giving the brush a good flick to get rid of the sand you just picked up!

Steve peel

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
Rubbish, you cant scratch glass with a SS scraper nor will any water fed pole with aluminium fittings on them, the only way glass can be scratched is with a contaminated cloth or brush head.
I have had this before and demonstrated in court  with a piece of glass and a stainless steel scraper in front of the judge, he could clearly see that the blade could not scratch the glass.
Hence the case being dismissed.
This happens often on builders cleans and the architects or site project manager generally blame the window cleaner , 9 time out of 10 the glass was already scratched.
an example, architects used to recc the old Over the Top 6" ss scraper to remove debri from glass prior to cleaning, in one particular event the project manager try to blame the scraper, i said call your architect over, which he did and he said to me and the manager only a ss scraper should be used and he mentioned the one i had, he said no way can you scratch glass with one  of them , I said you mean one of these, Yes he said , well thats what I used, so he inspected a further 20 glass panels before we touched them and found that 12 were badly scratched, the project manager was sacked. so don't let the big boys blame you, stand up and be counted.

Tony Edwards

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:49 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys

Small but perfectley formed

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »
You can scratch glass with a scraper because l  have done it on builders clean on patio doors .
The glass is tempered and it does scratch.
Spit and polish