Moderator David@stives

backpacks
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:50:18 pm »
There is a lot of talk at the moment about getting a backpack and hey presto magic kit for cleaning windows.

WRONG

I will tell you why ,I know one or two wont agree with this.I know Tosh is solely using it for window cleaning and a few others seem to be getting on with it .

The problem is the capacity and if the windows are very dirty especially on a new clean  you would be lucky to get 4 large windows out of one re-fill.To rinse down a new clean window you would need at least 4-5 litres on a large window and that is being economical and that is the problem because you only have 18 litres between refills you start skimping on the water and that is where you are going to have trouble with spotting and runs .

How do i know this ? I have been using a backpack and also a van mounted system and have had more problems with windows with the backpack and practically none at all with the van system.

Backpacks are a good add on to a wfp system and come into there own in certain situations.But you cant beat a huge supply of water and a decent hose so you can crank up the flow when needed .

So for those who only have portable systems you will not know what i mean until you get a van mount ,it speeds up your work no end.

I learnt my lesson on a job i did last month and we attacked it with 2 backpacks and thaought we did well but i went back the next day to do the gutters and i noticed a few windows were awful.
Done the job again today and realy flooded the windows and they were absolutly perfect .
The lesson learnt  was rinse rinse and rinse again.

Dave

mattstanley

Re: Hold back on the backpacks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:09:57 pm »
I see what you mean, but I still think it's a good, economical way into wfp, especially if you are using it for selected jobs only, or just for upstairs.
I bought mine because I knew it would be useful in the future when I got a van mount system - money not wasted.

g_griffin

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:11:41 pm »
Couldn`t you use a backpack and just keep re-filling?

Gerry.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:15:04 pm »
What i was trying to say is until you get a van system you will not realise how much water you actually need to  do the job properly.
on one job i had to crank the speed up to max and the water did not last 5 mins . would you want to keep filling up all day?

Dave

g_griffin

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 08:23:01 pm »
No, I see your point about re-fiiling.

The smaller systems strength is also their weakness.

Portability=less water.

Gerry.

Simon Carter

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 08:25:53 pm »
I initially went in both feet & had a van mounted system. If you want to get into commercial work then great, but having used both on residential work I know what I prefer.
As someone who is recommending spending a few hundred, if yesterday is anything to go by, I don't expect to be able to read this tomorrow. If I am correct, this sight is b******s & I will not waste my time again
Onwards and Upwards...

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 08:33:46 pm »
Simon

That is not very nice is it .The posts could of been deleted for any number of reasons.
It is not for me to say but i have a good idea why and not for the reasons you are thinking .Trust me

Dave

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 08:33:56 pm »
DSL - I've a trolley which carries one or two 25L barrels and I can regulate the flow to suit and I think I use less water then most. I find the secret is in agitating the muck with the brush - not necessarily a high flow rate. As long as when you've done you rinse afterwards.

Especially now winter's here I don't want too much water falling on walk-ways if I can avoid it and so entrance ways I blade anyway.

Today I did one of my monthly offices with 25yr old brown ali framed sliding sash windows. I did them carefully and did the tops - all about 4ft 6" x 3ft (23 windows/46 panes) - using no more than thirty litres of water.

I do the insides as well and tho' I say it myself they were blemish free! I mean virtually perfect. They took 35 minutes of "water flowing" time. I'm sure if I had the flow rate up I could have done it in say 25 minutes, but the walkways would have been swimming with twice the amount of water, too hard a jet might bring muck from the brickwork or frame edges and I would get through 400 litres a day instead of 200.
It's a game of three halves!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 08:45:30 pm »
Malc you have been doing a long time and know what you are doing .

When i changed over i had 300 customers dirty frames to clean a mix of residential and commercial.this was a daunting task and if i would have had a limitless supply of water right from the start i would of struggled a lot less and since getting my van system i cannot believe the difference especially on initial cleans.not just in the amount of water but in the ease of use in just pulling the hose from the van and not worrying about running out and changing barrels.
I know i have probably got the right properties where a hose is suited and i understand that is not the same for other people.

Backpacks have there place but they do have a lot of limitations IN MY OPINION.

Dave

g_griffin

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 08:58:37 pm »
A bit off topic but less water can be better trad.

Better to scrub a window with a damp applicator, than wave a soaking one at it.

Gerry.

stevef

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 09:21:12 pm »
I have to agree with Dave, as someone who started with a trolly
then went to a trailer mounted system with a backpack in the van, and soon to upgrade to a van mount. I would not recomend using a backpack for anything other than a backup for those awkward jobs. having said that I have only had my b pack a few weeks but would never be without one now! Hey but if it woks for you then fine
Steve

craig jwc

Re: backpacks
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 10:49:56 pm »
I think the backpack is a good introduction for someone looking at wfp.

I think it a cheaper way to get started and a way to decide if that is the way you want to go.

That is one reason i bought mine.

At the beggining i wasn't able to purchase a van then kit it out with a wfp set up.
I started off just cleaning the top windows wfp and doing the bottom traditional.
In a few days i was doing the whole house with it (still am).

I agree it is a real pain having to re-fill and like already said a 1st clean uses so much water.

Once you have decided if it is for you you can then make the decision. I can't see anyone going against it as the results are brilliant and i have taken on more work just because people have seen this backpack and the results you get.
Now i have bought myself a van i am almost ready to order my set up to put in it.
I want to get this done as quick as possible as i have taken on 2 big properties one with a swimming pool in a building in the gardens. I got these 2 accounts just from someone commenting to the owners about this backpack i have.

When i have the van fitted out the backpacks (as i have ordered another one) will be used for the awkward to get places and a back up if the van system fails.

Craig

Even though you have to keep re-fill the backpack it is still quicker than traditional

Morph

Re: backpacks
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 11:18:45 pm »
I now use a "Backpack" on a trolley, 18litres.  Use it up in 15 minutes, if I clean properly...Which I do.
I also have a tank in the van.  I'm using it whenever I can.  As Dave said, especially on 1st cleans, I'm not bothered how much water I use, I just want them clean.

To quote: "Rinse, Rinse, Rinse"

Pj ;)