Klean07

Should WC Go back to being seasonal? New
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:26:43 pm »
25 Years ago window cleaning used to be a seasonal occupation. I really think that history could be about to repeat itself for some of us don't you?
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

mlscontractcleaner

Re: WC Going back to being seasonal?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:34:59 pm »
No, not for the more serious of us; it's just a case of being prepared each evening for the following day.
Maybe I've had it easy in Plymouth; looking at the news on tv and seeing cars stuck in snow in other parts of the country it's hard to imagine how lads living there could get out cleaning windows but us West Country folk only have to put up with ice really; and that can be beaten with a bit of thought ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!

dazmond

Re: Should WC Go back to being seasonal?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »
no not for me either.17th winter window cleaning.it is bitter out there at the moment but its possible to get some work done most days with a little preparation,change of cleaning methods and the right attitude.

some window cleaners on here have the wrong attitude and are ill prepared financially yet still make excuses to have another day off!!dont get me wrong i have been guilty of it myself over the years ive just learned to make the best of each day and have an emergency fund available when the weather becomes impossible to work in.

forecast to not get above -6 in manchester tommorrow but ill be out even if its only for a few hours!i dont need to as all bills are paid and money in the bank,all presents bought and wrapped,holiday money been changed for dollars for my trip to new york but i want to keep chipping away at workload and keep ticking over as ill be having a full 2 weeks off at xmas. ;D ;D

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

jr windows

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:37 pm »
This is how I've been since Thursday

And it's not going anywhere fast

jr windows

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:22:35 pm »
Hi Steve,
Yeah that's me. Just gone over to hot, I've been on cold for 4 years. Ive seen u in Holyhead.

lee_dewing

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 12:22:54 am »
No, for me anyway.

You lose alot more days to rain than snow.

for me it seems like 2 weeks lost to snow this year and last year :(

But it is how the timing has been right near xmas hols :'(

Been doing this 7 yrs now usually snows in feb, but last 2 winters have been harsher december-jan, this year Nov ::).

I live in south east, so get the best weather in uk mostly.

I think this is the worst winter for snow for a long time and hopefully the last for a while.

Unfortunately, i can't think of anything else i can do now and frankly don't want to.

lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 07:18:05 am »
I didn't realise it ever was seasonal.

Dave Anderson

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:21:03 am »
I do not think 'seasonal' per sey but for me...winter disruption will occur to some extent between Dec 1st and March 1st during that time I now plan my 4 week holiday and have enough money in the bank to cover any amount of non work in this period.

Have always had spare slots in my round...clearly these has to be addressed and I need to make more money in the workable months I imagine this will be the same for many.

The key here is to invest...whether a hot add-on, decent clothing or money in the bank to cover these none-work days..

I have even looked at making soaps, shampoo's, lip balms etc and selling at fairs and online...not to be full time operation but as a additional income stream....but whatever happens if we always see these events as a suprise that's what they will be.

Stay safe, don't take risks ....

The more I know the less I know I know ...

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:12 am »
I do not think 'seasonal' per sey but for me...winter disruption will occur to some extent between Dec 1st and March 1st during that time I now plan my 4 week holiday and have enough money in the bank to cover any amount of non work in this period.

Have always had spare slots in my round...clearly these has to be addressed and I need to make more money in the workable months I imagine this will be the same for many.

The key here is to invest...whether a hot add-on, decent clothing or money in the bank to cover these none-work days..

I have even looked at making soaps, shampoo's, lip balms etc and selling at fairs and online...not to be full time operation but as a additional income stream....but whatever happens if we always see these events as a suprise that's what they will be.

Stay safe, don't take risks ....

well said
this is the second year on the trot we have had such a bad winter, frankly its nothing new but we have been spared over the last few mild winters.
so now we got a year to prepare for the next one

trevor perry

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 08:46:26 am »
25 Years ago window cleaning used to be a seasonal occupation. I really think that history could be about to repeat itself for some of us don't you?
its never been seasonal round this part my dad has done it full time for 54 years
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

tomy jackson

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:15 am »
only for the dolys and not for geting the ones on the sick  ;D ;D ;D sory incrpaserty 

Bin Juice

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:44 am »
If i where a single guy with no commitments i think i would be tempted to shut
 down and go work in teneriffe for the winter .

monkeyboy950

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:30:50 pm »
I was off for 12 days up till last Thursday where I went out and worked from thur-fri there worked in snow and ice and minus4 on Monday morn,went and got heater of Peter on sat morn but not installed it yet,out today doing contract stuff in giffnock it's only a inch or so snow but top half of pole froze up so had to chuck it in front and get heater on it,just got insides to do then home to install hot water,the 12 days I had off I could have possibly went out from 11-2 but got lazy

andyM

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 12:35:07 pm »
No im still getting new customers phoning and emailing for quotes, they want clean windows in winter even in this weather.
Im trying my best when conditions permit to get round my regulars but with the new ones im quoting im telling them I cant get round until January at least.
One of the Plebs

Helen

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 12:36:53 pm »
I didn't realise it ever was seasonal.
Quite, when has running a business ever been only part of a year.
I wouldn't want to build up a good business in the "fair" weather to then let it go down the pan just in case the weather may be bad and then have to build it up again the next year! Yes this weather has hit us hard, but pro rata throughout the year it's only a small amount of time :)

G Griffin

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 01:04:43 pm »
Some comments were a bit unfair to the original poster, I think.
It depends on what he/you view as seasonal.
Does he mean shut down completely for the winter?
Does he mean accept you are going to do less work?
It could be a case of employing seasonal workers to help you meet your targets.
I don`t think anyone in this job isn`t affected by the seasons in some way.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

leights

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 01:31:52 pm »
then you simply dont clean them, and thats an even more pathetic anws you;v posted...

you just dont drop them cause u cant clean for a few days. complete donkey i tell you, send them my way, il show you how to run a window cleaning company
better than all the rest

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »
Some comments were a bit unfair to the original poster, I think.
It depends on what he/you view as seasonal.
Does he mean shut down completely for the winter?
Does he mean accept you are going to do less work?
It could be a case of employing seasonal workers to help you meet your targets.
I don`t think anyone in this job isn`t affected by the seasons in some way.

Sure thing.  I think most window cleaners would acknowledge that they get through less work in Winter months.  It depends on the workload really.  If you normally do 9 - 3, the earlier darkness won't affect you but if you normally work till 5 or 6 then it will - not to mention some late starts waiting for temperature to climb.  It's possible to overcome some of that by working some weekends but I've nearly always earned at least a bit less Dec - Feb.
As for shutting down completely, that would not be an option for me.  It's rare to have more than a solid week off due to weather.

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »
No, shutting down completely isn`t an option for most. But some had a go at the OP as if he`d suggested that, which he didn`t.
Hotels and guest houses can be seasonal but it doesn`t mean they shut down all together in the winter.
Even saving a few quid in the summer could be seen as treating the job as seasonal.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 02:46:44 pm »
Here here to Klean 07. Conditions here in the Midlands are impossible. 6 inches of snow (min), minus 9 daytime temperatures and customers actually asking us NOT to clean windows because its far too dangerous.

We've worked through everything this year - we lost just 2/3 days in Jan/Feb but sometimes you have to see the longer term and it's not worth breaking a leg trying to get out and earn £50.

We've got to most customers and those we haven't totally understand.

Long range forecast (if we believe it) says warmer from Jan so unless it gets above minus 5 that's it until after Christmas and make it up in the New Year.

All businesses are 'seasonal' to a degree - roll on Feb/March and away we go again  8)