Crystal-clear

boots and gloves
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »
i gave in today its bloody cold and crap out there  couldnt feel my toes or hands ???, i need to get my self new boots and gloves ,im sick of buying cheap boots and gloves that dont last me more then 1 winter.

i have a pair of Dickies boots but they hurt my feet these boots ive found slow me down. i would like to buy a light comfort waterproof boot or trainer that is warm something that looks professional too any ideas on that?,

i saw some gloves on gardiners site GUL Winter Weight Gloves it says they are not 100% water proof so i dont know if these are anygood? they are £20 dont know if i should buy these?

Thanks,

deeege

Re: boots and gloves
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »
There's a Recent 4 page thread on here discussing gloves.

Read it, it's worth it.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Crystal-clear

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »
ok thanks i think ill go for the Joka Hold Gloves 35 , hope thats a good one they sound good waterproof and warm,,

but how about waterproof trainers and socks?

thanks

Dave Anderson

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:27:09 pm »
Look at Derwent Muck boots, light and very warm...
The more I know the less I know I know ...

Perfect Windows

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:39:13 pm »
I bought some Regatta Guideway Mid boots at Go Outdoors the other week.  Waterproof and only £29.99.  To date they seem pretty good.

Couple any waterproof boots with a good pair of socks and you're away.  Now you can buy socks from Go Outdoors for up to £30 a pair (gulp!) or just go for tried and tested army issue socks from Silvermans.  I wore these for more than a little time in the past in some very cold places and I'm yet to find better.

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/FOOTWEAR+ACCESSORIES/ItemDescription/ARMY+ISSUE+CUSHION+SOLE+SOCKS/ItemId/11957/Default.aspx

They have a double thickness sole, so they are very comfortable.  They last forever.  If you buy more than two pairs they are £3.99 a pair.  They have to be the bargain of the century at that price.  Buy five pairs and for £50 including the boots, your feet will be warm as toast all winter.

Vin

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:04 pm »
sealskins do socks too prob get them in milletts or somewhere
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »
Thanks guys

Perfect windows
are they these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-guideway-wp-mid-p149234?

and do you think http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-mens-guideway-waterproof-shoes-p99919 might be lighter as they seem like a trainer? do you think they will do the job too?

Thanks,.

Pole 2 Pole

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »
Get yourself some cheap free ones from the petrol station. Put some "blue" ungirly marigolds over them. Cheap,non bulky,grippy. And oh so toasty. Also put a plastic carrier bag over your socks before you put your boots on. Simples x

Perfect Windows

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:01 pm »
Those look very much like them - though they have a bad review on there, I've not had a problem.  Frankly, if I bought waterproof boots and they leaked, I'd take them back!  They are VERY light.  Walking boots aren't like I remember tham at all.

I can't really comment on the others.  I'd suggest you try them on before buying; I don't think shoes are a mail-order item ever.

The thing is, as long as your shoes are waterproof, it's the socks that matter more.

Vin

combat1

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »
Try Contico thermal extra grip gloves, close fitting so you can work in them and drive from area to area. You can write the slips in them as well.
I have been using them and find it best to keep them on all the time. not uncomfortable at all.
Today has been sub zero all day but my hands have been fine and not cold at all. As a result I had a brilliant days work. you can find them on an internet search at around £20.

brianbarber

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:37 pm »
Gloves...... Got some new ones from blacks, 35 quid, warm and waterproof.......they GORE TEX!!

Trainers, merrell......GoreTex again

All good

In fact Swweeeeett!

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Londoner

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »
I buy the yellow leather work gloves from TOOLSTATION. More or less waterproof and thick. Their boots are good too, and very hard wearing. I wear them with seaboot socks, also from toolstation.

I get a lot of stuff from them, always cheaper than elsewhere and always good. Masking tape for painting 92p, its £1.99 in Homebase

chopsie

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:44:05 pm »
I have the tay muck boots,light,very warm and 100% waterproof......But dangerously slippy on wet concrete/slabs, Fine in mud or snow though. The derwents look like far better grips though! Wish I had got them now. Never mind I will persevere, Been living in them since a bought them about 3 weeks ago, They are really comfy and warm.
chopsie

Dave Anderson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 06:30:07 am »
Here is a little information:

Derwent Muck boot review:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10760-Derwent-Muck-Boots-a-review.

*** I have worn my for the past 3 months on and off and had them for the last year they have also be used during certain jobs that normally create wet feet...I have now had the boots re-schod and they are hot to trot for the snows...I have normally gone for gortex boots such a meindle, etc but these muck boots are low maintanance, light, can turn them down when you do not want them so high...they look good for work and with normal clothes. Top boots in my opinion...I'll buy them again and ok I will need to resole them from time to time...but my normal winter boots would normally cost 150 to 200 quid anyhow...I'm just sold on these....just look at what sole style suits your working conditions.

Tay Muck boot review:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9140-Tay-Sport-Muck-Boot-review

There is also a company called Bogs which do a similar style of boot.

The more I know the less I know I know ...

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 10:27:34 am »
bergaus goretex boots for me everytime.GUL winter gloves for general winter work and GLACIER PERFECT CURVE gloves for colder wetter weather.

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 05:00:49 pm »
Thanks guys Daz how much where your boots have you got a link cheers.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 05:29:43 pm »
i got mine from blacks £70.goretex light trail explorer boots.sorry dont know how to do links mate!! ::) ;D ;D

just google blacks and have a look!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

SPE

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 06:18:01 pm »
never had much luck with any expensive so called waterproof gloves, just get knackered in no time.
Someone on here last year suggested these from b&Q
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9373022&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=nitrile+gloves&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1291140712768&isSearch=true
just get large ones and wear thermal liners under them when its really cold, still using last years pair , they will last longer than this weather

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »
just get sum doc martens  ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

darragh windows

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »
I have the tay muck boots,light,very warm and 100% waterproof......But dangerously slippy on wet concrete/slabs, Fine in mud or snow though. The derwents look like far better grips though! Wish I had got them now. Never mind I will persevere, Been living in them since a bought them about 3 weeks ago, They are really comfy and warm.

i have the lune muck boots shorter version of the derwent i think , this is my second year with them great boots but as you say can be slippy
jamie