2cleanright

Wand Glides
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »
Forgot to ask at Carpex yesterday - anyone know where to get gliders for Prochem and Ashbys wands? Can't seem to find anyone selling them these days.

Cheers

derek west

Re: Wand Glides
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:47:27 pm »
mat at cleansmart sells girl glides, sorry i mean gay blades, or is it green glides, yeah thats it, green glides.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:49:15 pm »
They should have calles them "the Ashmore first in the uk to save against bad backs glides" but shhhhhhh I've never told anyone this ;)

Shaun

Mark Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:08:02 pm »
I thought the real ones were taken off the market ???

Mark

derek west

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »
i got a real one with my wand from mat at cleansmart, makes a crackin rolling pin ;D

2cleanright

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 09:12:38 am »
Cheers, will try cleansmart.

Derek, I am not getting old and feeble yet, but the Prochem wand seems to leave carpets wetter than the Ashbys one, as the slot is much wider. Thought i would see if they really do leave carpets dryer than a "naked" wand.

2cleanright

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 09:19:35 am »
Just looked on Cleansmart. £100 a pop, plus the cost of gym membership to keep me fit if they make wanding so easy - dont think I'll bother!!!!

derek west

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 09:21:07 am »
am only joking, its just my manly joke to wind you girl guiders  up. ;D

who knows!, i might secretly use a glide ;) ;D

Joe H

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 10:42:35 am »
That £100 is a wise investment for the future of your back.

One day you may regret the words you just spoke, when your back feels broke your finished as a carpet cleaner.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
These prices are the cheapest i have seen what do you think

EBAY ITEM NO: 280473493382  280476869678
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »
I have one on order - should get it mid week.

The wand is a good price in itself but with a glide makes it a very good deal.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 02:21:21 pm »
Joe one word SNAP should get mine this week to ;D

PS Thanks for the chat & the heads up on the phone got the contract for the nursing homes 8)

Joe H

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 03:21:59 pm »
Should have said - I am just getting the glide. Dont know whose it is, will find out, but seem difficult to get hold of.  Wouldnt be without my girlie glide.  I think Derk could get to love his too.  :D

Jim_77

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 11:07:25 pm »
Just looked on Cleansmart. £100 a pop, plus the cost of gym membership to keep me fit if they make wanding so easy - dont think I'll bother!!!!

Completely arse-backwards thinking my friend!

Get the glide, seal it to your wand with silicone sealant and then wonder how the hell you ever lived without one.

If you don't like it you can flog it for almost what you bought it for.  I bet you keep it ;)

(Don't listen to Derek, he knows the pro-glide brigade are right but just won't admit it ;) )

derek west

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 11:16:10 pm »
depends what you mean by right gym.

i'll confess i have 2 wands, one with a glide and one without. any carpet with a sealed backing, rubber backed bituman backed etc.... i use the glide, any carpet that i can get airflow through i use the standard wand, for me its not about making the job easy its about giving my custy the best results.

confession over, i'm now off to say 3 hail mary's and do my nails. ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:16 am »
Although I experimented with bits of plastic to stop my wands digging into carpets 20 years ago I never became a glide user.
What I noticed a long time ago was the improvement in drying times when lifting the wand upwards from the carpet surface  " very slightly " and always felt wands could do with some development to improve air flow without having to add bits of plastic / teflon.

swiftclean

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »
I have one on order - should get it mid week.

The wand is a good price in itself but with a glide makes it a very good deal.

the seller says dispatched next working day after payment received, how come you waiting till mid week ???

i'm looking at buying quite a few bit's would appreciate some feedback before i part ;)

mark

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:59:16 pm »
Hi Mark, (swiftclean) Ive ordered some goods off this seller yesterday and will let you know when I receive them, he is very new but has alot of good feedback.  My advice to you and others is always pay on a credit card for goods purchased on the net, you are protected if the worst ever happens.

Regards,

Paul   

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 11:07:11 pm »
Hi mark to date i have ordered motors 50ft hose 50ft solution male/female fittings wand should be here tomorrow touch wood all good so far

derek west

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »
i bought this as some of you know
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280477983384&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

same guy no problems.
think i ordered sunday and recieved tuesday.

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 11:33:00 pm »
Derek have always had a next working day service delivered by city link green yellow van

as you know 1 male 1 female cost the same as you paid so cant knock his prices

expro

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 12:01:18 am »
Using any wand correctly gives good drying especially on low profile

carpet tiles.

What has always worked for me is something I learned on a Prochem course

and that is ........................................

On the drying or scrub strokes always lower or raise the handle of the wand
so that one of the lips is slightly off the carpet and this gives better airflow
which in turn means drier carpets.
Expro

expro

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:02 am »
Ps
Sorry but I forgot to mention HEAVY pressure on the wand cuts off the airflow

and leaves the carpet wetter.
Expro

robert meldrum

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 08:20:22 am »
Spot on Xpro .............it's in the technique

absolutecleaning

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 08:22:51 am »
My glide has just turned up after ordering Sunday.

Havent checked it for fit yet but do I remember rightly its best to boil it before fitting?

Cheers

Simon

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:45 am »
I used a roasting tin, it's the only thing it would fit in;D Put it on the hob and put in boiling water add glide simmer. Use tongs to remove. Position on wand from the back and force it over the wand lips pushing forward and down. Quite easy to do.

I would not be without it now.

Simon

craigp

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 08:41:48 am »
I used a glide for about two years then took it off a year ago.

I prefer it without now, Not sure why maybe cus I feel a harder lock down onto the carpet without, also it picks up crap from the edges of the carpet better. Not convinced glides leave the carpet dryer. Infact I feel the reverse could be true.

If you not got one I would say dont worry, as its pros and cons for both.

Mostly I think the benefits of a glide is more for the user than results.

Jim_77

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 09:07:16 am »
Unless the glide is sealed properly to the wand it will probably leak air, especially at the ends, so could well leave the carpet wetter.  Get it fixed on with a good dollop of silicone sealant and it works fine.

Funny how experiences differ, I find a glide picks up crap from the edges better than without one!

I wouldn't say you need to "boil" your glide, but certainly dunk it in hot water for 5 minutes.

Also be prepared to use a stanley knife/blade/chisel to shave your glide so it fits your wand perfectly.  I have a westpak, for which i had to cut out a slot in the glide to go round the bracing piece that keeps the wand lips apart.  I also had to shave it a bit to make room for the screw head on the other side.

Line the inside of the glide with silicone, and put some on the wand too.  But only put the silicone on when you're sure the glide fits otherwise you'll get in a right mess!

absolutecleaning

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 10:13:07 am »
I think I definitely need to get a bit of silicone and refit.

As this is obviously a generic rather than custom built one there is a fair bit of give from back to front.  Presumably I can just adjust the angle to suit my wanding position.

Doing a search earlier someone mentioned jet extensions - anyone got any thoughts / experiences of these?

Cheers

Simon

richie

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 11:44:02 am »
The problem with sealing the ends of the glide is that you get debris stuck in the wand slot and sometimes need to remove the glide.  I was informed by a glide seller that you only need to seal the ends if using a porty that has less than 3 vac motors.

Richie.

Joe H

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 12:35:54 pm »
Never sealed mine so if it leaks air it leaks air.
Still happy with the dryness of the carpets.

Jim_77

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:49 am »
Richie I never get crud stuck in the wand slot, and that's even on some rentals where there's yuk all over the place ???

I took a glide off my old 1.5" wand after 12 months and yeah it had a little bit of scummy stuff in there but no obstructions that were affecting anything.

If you have the proper glide for your wand it should fit snugly up against the wand lips, leaving no space for anything to get stuck.  If you do get the occasional wad of fluff or small stone you can just dislodge it through the wand slot with a key or knife blade, or a bit of wire for a holed glide.

Simon is the glide you have a round profile one or square?  The square ones aren't worth the plastic they're made from ::)

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 06:23:02 am »
next week be collecting my new powerflight so I have a teflon glide which is new
I used it for 20 mins and then I took the machine back so I have no need for this now,I will be getting a wonder wand with the machine which has a roller,
 so its up for grabs   :o
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 07:30:38 am »
I think I definitely need to get a bit of silicone and refit.

As this is obviously a generic rather than custom built one there is a fair bit of give from back to front.  Presumably I can just adjust the angle to suit my wanding position.

Doing a search earlier someone mentioned jet extensions - anyone got any thoughts / experiences of these?

Cheers

Simon

I put extensions on my westpac because the spray pattern was a 'V' instead of straight. This happens because of the extra height. My wand came from Cleansmart and Matt sorted it for me.

Simon

Darren O

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 07:59:19 am »
Terry what Powerflight model did you get ive got the 1350 larger one when using the Wonder Wand you have to use it at least 350psi to get a decent clean that meant filling and emptying the the machine every 10 mins total pain in the arse to be honest i thought the WW was a complete waste of money but the Powerflights are top machines.

absolutecleaning

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 08:08:53 am »

Simon is the glide you have a round profile one or square?  The square ones aren't worth the plastic they're made from ::)

It's this one Jim 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Teflon-Glider-for-Wand_W0QQitemZ280473493382QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA?hash=item414d85df86

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:46 am »
Hi darren gong to pick up next week we did not go for the bigger one as our work load dont need it,its far to big for us ,we are going for the wonder wand some like it some dont I do think it makes sense just wheel it rather than lift it? the deal Karl gave me was great I cant disclose ;D but I have looked all at the machines cant see any thing better than these ;D the wand I am getting is a 2 jet and I wont be using 500 psi turn down to around 230 thats enough I had  Rhino
500 psi never used that amount no need be filling up as you say :-\ the glide above is the one I have  :D
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

Darren O

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 08:29:26 am »
Good luck with the WW anyway the Powerflights are great portys.

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:57 am »
 ;D I am getting the top of the range mid size all in black it looks a monster out of starwars ;D LOL going to name it R2 Tel 2
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!

fitz2kleen

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »
Wahoooooooo my new girlie glide wand arrived today :)
just lookin through back cat' to see if theres a uniform i can buy to suit it :))
I'm thinking pink fluffy uggs and maybe a micro kilt :D

Regards Marc

derek west

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 05:38:14 pm »
 ;D

don't forget your pink marigolds, with feather fluff cuffs ;D

Jim_77

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 05:41:54 pm »

It's this one Jim 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Teflon-Glider-for-Wand_W0QQitemZ280473493382QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA?hash=item414d85df86

Looks like the "greenglide" type of design, should be perfect.  Not sure what you mean about angle, it only fits on the wand at one angle.  The thing is you need to buy the right glide for your wand, as obviously the shape of the wand lips are all different between models.

david mitcham

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 07:03:58 pm »

I ordered one of the swan neck 2 jet wands with glide fitted off the ebay site mentiond earlier in this post on sunday. It arrived today well packaged etc.

This is the first glide i have ever even seen and im surprised how small the holes look and was expecting to see a combation of slots and holes.

Will the holes clog with pile fibre and how do you unblock if this happens, the glide seems tightly fitted to wand
Any advise please, i should say i have not yet had a play with my new toy

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:02 pm »
I also bought a wand for £140 with the free glide, really just as a spare, not that impressed with the glide though, its not the same as the ones at £55 that are for sale, just a long line of small holes and mine looks a bit tatty, but I thought the wand was an ok price thats why I bought it, the glide does seem to be very well fixed on, you might need a bit of brute force to get it off David.

Regards, Paul

david mitcham

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 07:33:12 pm »

Hi Paul

Have you had the chance 2 test your new wand yet

David

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:07 pm »
Not yet David, will try it 2moz and post my findings, just looked at it again and I think it should slide off with some force. Let me know what you think when you try yours!

Paul

david mitcham

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »

On the subject of wands/glides i have 2 wands the first supplied from Alltec with my Advantage and the second from solutions with my Scorpian.

How do you find the make of wand you have as i cant find any manufactures marking on either wand and would like to get a glide for one of them.
Sorry if this a daft question

David

richy27

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 09:26:39 pm »

On the subject of wands/glides i have 2 wands the first supplied from Alltec with my Advantage and the second from solutions with my Scorpian.

How do you find the make of wand you have as i cant find any manufactures marking on either wand and would like to get a glide for one of them.
Sorry if this a daft question

David

why dont you call solutions and alltec and ask them

absolutecleaning

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 07:11:53 am »

Looks like the "greenglide" type of design, should be perfect.  Not sure what you mean about angle, it only fits on the wand at one angle.  The thing is you need to buy the right glide for your wand, as obviously the shape of the wand lips are all different between models.

Hope this generic one is going to work then.  After boiling the glide and fitting it over lips there was a very slight bit of movement from front to back; meaning that a couple of mm either way would effect the height of the wand at the trigger end.

Of out to give it a go now.

Cheers

Simon

Griffus

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 02:16:44 pm »

Hope this generic one is going to work then.  After boiling the glide and fitting it over lips there was a very slight bit of movement from front to back; meaning that a couple of mm either way would effect the height of the wand at the trigger end.

Of out to give it a go now.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, how did you get on?

absolutecleaning

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2010, 03:11:14 pm »
I tried it once and it was spilling water from the sides.  I havent got round to getting some more silicone and adjust the angle yet. 

Hope it does actually fit my glide  ???(I'm not sure what make or model it is to be honest as came with my tm second hand)

Simon

Joe H

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2010, 04:20:21 pm »
Simon
More often then not you have to adjust the angle of the jet- it will probably hit the glide, hence the splashing you getting. Needs bending a bit, but be careful.

Jim_77

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2010, 11:48:23 pm »
Or jet extenders.  Don't forget that fitting the glide raises the jets higher from the carpet.  I have the same issue with one of my wands.

Steve Thrush

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 01:04:17 pm »
 ;D I followed your lead and ordered a glide and and wand, off ebay, came with in 2 days, wrapped great and worked perfect, really happy, contacted seller he also has loads of chemicals etc.....just to let you know

Steve