Doug Holloway

Re: Furniture Clinic Franchise
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:09 am »
Hi Derek

Above FC for cleaning leather, how to clean lether.

I dont want to make this sound like some sales blurb, just illustrating that there are lots of options for finding leather jobs.

My site was just for me but the rankings and traffic are so good it seems a bit wasted at present, I only do simple leather cleans.

Cheers

Doug

mark shannon

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:42 am »
Doug may be interested  info@shannoncleaning.co.uk

Cheers

Mark

Bob Robertson

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 12:40:21 pm »
Doug

Do you sell many products from your http://www.leathercleaningproducts.co.uk/ site?

Bob

stevegunn

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 07:38:10 am »
Although the franchise route suits some,what difference would it make to someone who already does leather apart from maybe a few jobs directly from FC.Do you get the products that much cheaper to justify the £200 a month?

I like Ian did the LTT course some years ago applied to go on their site as a trained tech but never heard anything back which put me off after buying the full kit felt badly let down.

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:17:58 am »
Steve
There was a cost associated with being on our directory on our website and as far as I am aware we had no application from you to join this (the form was on the website) if this had been filled in and paid as a yearly subscription then the work was there. 

We now work in a different way and those that have continued to use our products obviously get the work.  We cannot send technicians out to do work if they are using product from somewhere else as this would be unfair on the customers who trust us to do good quality work for them.

http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 08:48:33 am »
Maybe this would  be a good opportunity Judy for you to send out a new letter to all past technicians who attend your courses explaining you new working practices.
Then this would stop all the grumbling and mud slinging and you never know it could reaffirm sales of your products.

stevegunn

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 12:06:34 pm »
Judy you actually gave me the form to fill in while I was down there,filled it in but you never got back to me,if I remember rightly the cost was something like £60.

Dave makes a fair point maybe worth taking on board

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 02:59:10 pm »
In my years in direct sales , agencies ,franchises , etc I find you get made lots of promises of potential earnings etc sometimesthey materialise some times they do not.

I am always dubious about parting with money to acheive said result.

I find the best policy is if for instances I went on Leather Course  or Flood Course and I was promised work fromdoing such course or even hinted at.

I would be on the phone on a weekly basis asking where the leads were etc.  This would then give you a chance to say I am not buying your products because there is no work. However if you had bragged about how much Leather Cleaning you were doing and not purchased from company you were asking for leads from who could blame them for not passing on leads.

That said if someone has spend several hundread poundson training and leads are available they should be passed on and a suggestion made on what products  are needed to do job.

If after two or three jobs no additional products are purchased  then they should be dropped

Lead allocation always causes problems.,

Matt Lindus

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 04:39:59 pm »
We once had our sofa sprayed due to sun damage by a known franchise, paid £320 for job. Three weeks of use after the job the colour started wearing off and the original damage could be seen.
Called them out again, they re-sprayed area and then put on what they said was a stronger lacquer. It certainly was stronger, it lasted 2 months before it all started to wear off again!! ::) Did'nt pursue it with them again.

Called in a private business who charged £80 to do the job and explained the problem with the last company. The guy laughed and said if only I knew his number earlier. Re did the area and spent twice as long getting the job done right, looked fantastic when finished. 6 weeks on and all the colour had come off. ::) we went out and bought a new sofa.

I would question the durability of these repairs especially when your using paint, in my opinion they don’t last and can leave customers angry and disillusioned.
If we clean carpets in office blocks we know that they won’t shrink on drying. If we go out and fit CCTV systems or Aerials we are confident that they are not going to stop working in a few weeks time, we even offer a full 2 years free warranty on all installations. Why should leather repairs be any different or do they come with warranty?

Matt

Robert Watson

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 05:22:54 pm »
Hi Matt, sound like it wasn`t prepared correctly.
I`m getting a lot of leather requests just now, I did the FC 3 day course last year, but did very little about it, even though I spent about a grand all in. Now  I`v kind of lost my confidence.
Looks like it`s time to get my finger out.
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55:35 pm »
Matt

Sounds like you have a particularly greasy arse  ;D

Probably like Rab says needed degreasing. Also the PU type products FC do have excellent adhesive qualities. (cue Judy)  ;D

clinton

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 06:06:33 pm »
Mike ;D

Robert Watson

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:35 pm »
This is a restoration we done on the course.
The prep work was not what I`d call enjoyable.
But when done properly, the finishing is pretty easy, fast and a you get a nice buzz when you see the result.
I know it`s 2 different cushions  but they were all mingers.
The Kitchen Door Centre

clinton

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 08:29:22 am »
Rabby

Thats a good after clean :)

robert meldrum

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59:14 am »
Matt

If a leather repair is done properly it will be as good as the original. The scenario you're depicting is one where the job has not been done properly.
Leather repairing / restoration is done by carrying out specific tasks in sequence, including thorough drying, application of a bonding agent if the prepared surface is at all suspect and using top quality pigments and finishes.

It's easy to get it wrong, but if it does, then you should seek recompense.

Ariel installations are NOT always perfect

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06:34 am »
Sun damage is more common on aniline style leathers than pigments. 
If you had this type of leather and someone sprayed colour on then the wrong products were being applied. 
Most quality pigments these days are applied by hand as the adhesion that this offers is far greater to anything that has been sprayed and the results are far superior.  Spraying products can be very risky and will generally lead to failure.
Aniline dyes should be applied by hand except in rare cases where colour changes are needed and the technique of spraying is not something to be undertaken by the inexperienced.

http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Ian Rochester

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 06:58:11 pm »
Rabby,

You're in the same position I was, did the course, but couldn't get the hands on experience to gain confidence.

Been out to 4 jobs today, did two of them, brought one back to the workshop and doing the other one next week, good money, satisfying work and if I could get better at colour matching I'd be a very happy man!!

Mike Roper

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »
The trouble is with leather restoration is you do the courses ,all very well in theory and in the workshop , then off you go .
Weeks and months go by without any experience in real life so it fades away. Others advertise they do this and that , get jobs but cant deliver ,get dissillusioned and pack in.
It isn't rocket science to do but you wont pick it up overnight , it will come but patience is needed and most dont have that or cant devote the time to master it.
Weare far more usedto booking acarpet job in , arrive at job ,do it, take payment then onto next job , simple !
Mike 

Roger Koh

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
Mike,

You are spot on!

Can you or anyone here suggest practical instant solutions to overcome these “can’t deliver” problems and deliver it?

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.org
Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification #942
Leather Care Technician
Master Textile Cleaner
Master Fire & Smoke Restorer
Journeyman Water Restorer
Since 1973

robert meldrum

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »
You know we can Roger, by having access to detailed and clear assistance via this fantastic tool, the computer,  but no one is going to offer such assistance on a regular basis without selling products which would be perfectly understandable and reasonable.