Mike Halliday

Re: Royal Mail Door to Door, have a laugh...
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »
I have told you how to get your leaflets out   :) use your head guys we are in business to make US money  ;)

I missed that post paul, tell me again :)
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 06:33:09 pm »
Time of year does make a huge difference as customers like to buy in season the weather makes a difference also, by keeping leaflets out there you will eventually get your rewards albeit mike I think you've been took for a ride.

Shaun

Allan Simmons

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:11 pm »
I have told you how to get your leaflets out  :) use your head guys we are in business to make US money  ;)

;D

Leaflets do work when they go out.  You just have to be canny as Paul says, we've been cannier this year and found local reliable teams, they get ONE chance and are wanred, we now have the GPS trackers too for them.

The posties are paid peanuts so you cant blame them I guess. I will never change the Royal mail, they need to realise themselves that they could still make money from leaflets but have to structure it differently.  That's not my job.

I think Mark mentioned the 10 around, they work amazing, but we use a notepad, not a leaflet.  A small A5 notepad about 1cm thick with a sti9cker on the top working in your area today blah blah, then a sticker half way through, "Have you tried us yet?"  works brilliant.

JandS

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 06:46:32 pm »
Delivering them yourself is better.
You know they have gone out.
If someone is outside when you deliver you get
to talk to them, had a couple from this.
You get to pick out the houses in a street you don't
want to work in.
Your in the area if they pick up and ring after you have
delivered so can go quote, had half a dozen from this.
None of the leaflets are wasted on empty houses or
sh*t tips you wouldn't want to work in.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

derek west

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 06:50:25 pm »
delivering leaflets yourself does not work, how can it?

if your delivering leaflets then your not busy, and if your busy you aint got time to deliver leaflets.

JandS

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »
Derek

I'm never busy after 4.30pm.
When the clocks go forward I'll do 6.00pm till
7.30pm ish 2 nights a week with the wife.
In the Winter I do it at the w/e if no work.
You can always make time for it in this game.
If I was busy I wouldn't need to put leaflets
out anyway because I don't rely on just leaflets
for work.
Try going to the magazine rack in your local supermarkets
and slipping your leaflets in the first half dozen copies of
the most common womens mags, tv mag and home furnishing
type mags. Did this in Tescos yesterday and got a job booked
in from it today....from one of the home furnishing mags.
Think I did about 8 mags so 1 from 48 is just over 2% strike
rate..not bad for a leaflet. Hopefully get down for the w/e
and do some more.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 07:37:39 pm »
^^ embarassing if you get caught though

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:46 pm »
And I've just seen this on facebook
bloody hell , only just managed to get through the front door thanks to the massive pile of nothing that the postman has delivered ;o(

So guess where everyone of those leaflets and non addressed envelopes must have gone?
I deliver my own because I don't trust anyone else to do it, plus I can hand pick the properties that look like they care about themselves.
But I can't remember the last time we got an enquiry because of a leaflet.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 08:10:36 pm »
Try going to the magazine rack in your local supermarkets
and slipping your leaflets in the first half dozen copies of
the most common womens mags, tv mag and home furnishing
type mags.

Clever... I like that
But I guess you'll be none too popular with the store if caught doing it

Mike Halliday

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »
the last time i asked a newsagent if I could do it they said no :'( :'(

but he said if i gave his paper boys a fiver they would put out my leaflets with the papers and I could put some leaflets on the counter.

Hilton

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:19 pm »
We recently did a DM and had a response of 7%.....by doing things differently and targeting and tracking, something you can not do with leaflets......

Can not emphasise enough the importance of targeting, properly.

Jim_77

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:02 am »
Same story all over by the look of it.  I wasted £400 a while back on royal mail, just really to confirm what I actually though - a waste of time and money!

Totally agreed that leaflets DO work... if they are actually delivered.  I did my own trialling and managed a very good rate of return when doing them myself.  I would never trust another company to deliver my leaflets.

Derek is right to a certain extent, but so is John.  You can MAKE time to deliver leaflets if you really want to.  I don't really want to so I don't! :)

Just sent 750 mailshots out to old customers for the spring cleaning season so hopefully that'll fill a gap or two in the diary!

Hilton

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 02:11:36 pm »
Don't do your DM through Royal Mail, target it through Doc mail, its not just another RM leaflet then.

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:42 am »
I have often found that doing 10-15 neighbour nudgers can herald the same results (or even better) as walking the streets delivering a 1000+!!! Delivered 10 on my last job to the ladies neighbours and got 2 jobs from it equating to about £180! Only takes 5 minutes of my time after every job.

Allan Simmons

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:12 pm »
I have often found that doing 10-15 neighbour nudgers can herald the same results (or even better) as walking the streets delivering a 1000+!!! Delivered 10 on my last job to the ladies neighbours and got 2 jobs from it equating to about £180! Only takes 5 minutes of my time after every job.

Agreed,  ;)

wynne jones

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »
When you think about it, trudging the streets in all weathers delivering leaflets has to be one of the least productive uses of your time. To think people spend 3-4 hours doing this everyday in between infrequent jobs is amazing, I even used to do it mysellf.

You are much better off staying in bed all morning, having a big breakfast and watch some Jeremy Kyle.

Then spend half an hour thinking of creative ways to get the attention of the right people and then go do it.

It's easier, more morale sustaining and far more profitable.   
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:57 pm »
Waynne, ,I would guess as you are giving this advice this is what you do,....... what creative ideas did you come up with in your 30minutes?

And in my humble opinion 5around are a load of poo.....they give no better results in the long run than if you had just  stuck  a leaflet through the door, the idea that someone would choose to get their carpets cleaned because a neighbour has is ridiculous .

The only reason they work are they give another opportunity to push something through the letterbox so they get your name in front of a potential customer to imprint it into their subconscious.

If you really want them to work put them out after you have done the quote saying ....

We are cleaning for your neighbour on the morning of the 27th, we have some space when we finish to do another job, let us clean your carpets and we will give you a £20 discount

This will give them an incentive to get their carpets cleaned

Allan Simmons

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
Use a notepad Mike, plus we put a sticker on suggesting they go and ask their neighbour what they thought.  It works because if you just get a leaflet it goes in the bin quicker than if you think Jayne next door might be the one who had her carpets done, I wonder what they are like.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 05:57:04 pm »
 my opinion on 5 around is based on consistently doing it for  the last 8months during that time we have not had 1 card returned to us (to claim the £10 discount thats on the card)

I'm a big believer that marketing works if they want the product, I could get a leaflet for 90% off car exhausts  i wouldn't rush out and buy one as i don't want a new car exhaust

if i got a card saying my neighbour just got a great deal on a car exhaust.... call now to get the same great price, i still wouldn't call.

derek west

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
i need a new car exhaust, have you got the details for this 90% off mike ;D