Allan Simmons

Royal Mail Door to Door, have a laugh...
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »
Hi Guys, I've probably mentioned this before but thought I might raise it again here.  We used to use Royal Mail Doortodoor and it WAS great, not any more.  My, now EX account manager keeps asking me to give them a go again, then this arrives through my door today.  So I couldn't resist making this short video and sending it to her, not had a reply yet, I wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jXWv0ib-pJs

;D

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Royal Mail Door to Door, have a laugh...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:50 pm »
Many years ago I had the same argument with Royal Mail but there was no apology or answer to my questions even after calls and emails I never got anywhere so decided to write it off to experience it's very frustrating that you are paying for a premium service and not getting it.

Shaun

Hilton

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:52:03 pm »
Yeah I agree they are now the most expensive leaflet distributors in the country.

When we used them we had to deliver our marketing materials to them at their depot in Rochester I think it was, otherwise they would not do them....they were then delivered back to where we had come from to be delivered by the posties.

Utter madness, they knew it was they told me so , but that was how it had to be done so after many trials and tribulations we dropped them..

RM are now back in.profit due to all this activity...

Griffus

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:12 am »
To be honest, if someone is inclined to read a single flyer pushed through their door, they are equally likely to read through multiple flyers, maybe even more so.    I'd assume flyers from The Factory Shop and the like get a lot of browsers which may mean things actually get the once over, rather than being overlooked.

Rates wise I'd agree they're expensive and based on the fact they're always about anyway they could look to reduce a fair bit.

Incentive wise, I don't think the Posties get extra money, why should they? That said, they deliver what they get given. How would you have them deliver (present) any differently?

Mike Halliday

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:02 am »
Most leaflets will end up in the bin, the key is the bin is usually in the kitchen, if they don't keep the leaflet you will have the 20seconds it takes them to walk into the kitchen to grab their attention and give them a reason to keep the leaflet,  as they will glance at the leaflet as they walk to the kitchen.

But if your leaflet is inside another then you won't get the chance to grab their attention as they won't even see your leaflet

I' in a massive quandary at the moment with my leaflet distrubution, the last delivery yielded 2 jobs directly from 30k leaflets :o :o more will follow as people keep the leaflet but I usually get a much bigger immediate response.  I'm thinking of a major change
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Allan Simmons

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:24:25 am »
Exactly Mike.  Response generally is down, but we've slowly found reliable local teams and stopped using royal mail totally now.  They did used to be the best, even at that rate. They are still the amongst the best for very rural areas or I guess if you're the one with the big folded A2 to A3 to A4 brochure, perhaps that's the key, who knows?
I just might give that a try, extreme Pink Flyers, A2 folded to A3 and the posties then fold it again to A4?

james roffey

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:43:06 am »
Given up on the bl..dy things never ever ever again will i burn money like i have over the past few years, last lot i had go out was 50,000 over two months ONE JOB
leaflets do work i know, when i did them i got work, not a lot but two or three in a thousand, but don't have time now. the 50,000 wasn't even the worst return, i did 20,000 once and got 0 not one single job or enquiry, have tried about six different companies now.

Richard Cole

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:55:30 am »
James I have had the same response from 20,000 leaflets, no calls, my conclusion was that were not delivered in the first place by the thieving barstewards.  Although in my case was not Royal Mail but another local company who i refused to pay and when they said they would take me to court I told them i would make a counter claim for cost of printing leaflets, loss of earnings of £3k to £4k, emmmmmmm not heard from them since.
former carpet cleaner, now retired!

james roffey

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:03:40 am »
That 20,000 response i got i was also suspicious, so i went out to one of the roads that they claimed they had delivered, knocked on every door, not one had seen my leaflet, my sister lived in another road they claimed to have delivered in and she too had not received one, when i told the lady who owned the company she got very angry saying i was accusing her personally, i explained that i thought she would like to know that her employees were not doing there job and this not only lost me money but her as i would not be having any more "delivered". The last two companies i have used i have voiced my concerns about actually having them delivered rather than binned, the last company said they have sat nav machines on the carts that the people use to deliver them, so i thought great idea cost me about £700 i made £50 return on that "investment" ::)roll

PS the road i checked, one guy said "no not seen that before, if i had i would have phoned you to clean this rug" walked out with his rug to clean  :P

lee andrew

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:29 am »
Hi Guys, I've probably mentioned this before but thought I might raise it again here.  We used to use Royal Mail Doortodoor and it WAS great, not any more.  My, now EX account manager keeps asking me to give them a go again, then this arrives through my door today.  So I couldn't resist making this short video and sending it to her, not had a reply yet, I wonder why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jXWv0ib-pJs

;D
very interesting watching your post i will give you an in sight and this is not a sob story just the truth, i have been a postie for 16 years on deliverys firstly you are very lucky if you can call it lucky to recieve you door to doors (which is the term we use) i know that we mostly can not get our d2d done and a lot get sent back to the managers office, we are given 15 minutes a day to complete 20% which if like me i have 800+ drops, so say 160+ a day x5 lots in 15 minutes not a chance this is before starting on our mail, as for getting peanuts for them try nothing not a bean this all stopped around 2 years ago, we used to get 0.6p per iteam which weekly could amount to £15-25 a week, if i remember we had a pay off for about £300 each, and that was the end of that.
we are constantly threatened about d2d and some times mail can be left due to the importants of d2d which is criminal, iv had enough of the place i cant stand it, its no longer a service and i could go on for hours and whistle blow but i have a window cleaning round im trying to build up and thats where my future is regards Lee

lee andrew

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 09:47:01 am »
Also if you know and trust your Postie im sure they would do leaflets for you, i have in the past done 800 for £20, its worth asking

TN Cleaning Services Ltd

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 11:54:34 am »
Royal mail have always done this.
I worked of Royal Mail 10 years ago and we were doing it then.
If they posted everything individually it would take until midnight.
And youre right, The postmen do get paid peanuts to deliver them.
Its a bit like expecting someone to window clean a street of houses,
only cleaning 1 window on each house at a time.
Unrealistic.
Tim.

Hilton

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:24:51 pm »
There has to be a different approach to leafleting, I dont know what it is, but there has to be.

We are all so accustomed to this crap, including our crap, coming through the letter box that any impact it may have had has long since past.

derek west

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 02:45:24 pm »
why i will never use a delivery company again.

10,000 leaflets delivered.

40 names were given to me on a sheet as proof that they had been delivered.

i got (can't remember exactly now) about 4 jobs from the whole 10,000

and heres the interesting part.

2 of the jobs i got were actually on the sheet full of names.

what are the chances of that happening eh!!!

i rest my case.

Steven Galley

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 02:57:56 pm »
My last drop was also 10,000 from a company i had used before and resulted in no calls.

A total waste of money, never again.

clive ware

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 03:44:51 pm »
But some companies must be doing ok from leaflets. There is a company down here in Chichester who used to be Homecare(!!) now trading as Apple who rely pretty much solely on leaflets. A5 postcard leaflets go out regularly with a £10 discount coupon on the back and they are running about 3 vans now. I dont know if it`s the content of the leaflet or the fact that they are all being delivered but they seem to work.

james roffey

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 03:45:55 pm »
Lets face it if you have ever delivered leaflets yourself you can see the logic, your paid to deliver leaflets, that amounts to walking the streets for seven hours, or you can bin them and sit at home with your feet up for seven hours, human nature.

I know someone who got his daughter to deliver leaflets, and he got a call from someone to complain that someone had put all these leaflets in his bin, it's a hard slog delivering 1000 leaflets, the only logical explanation to explain the increase in response from doing them yourself, is they are not being delivered.  

mark_roberts

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 05:43:44 pm »
Does anyone take 10mins to do 10 around.  Whats the response from these?

All delivery companies cant be crooks.  Maybe the carpet cleaning market is just not there :o

Mark

james roffey

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 05:56:14 pm »
LEAFLETS DO WORK

I have always had a response from doing them myself, the best was 7 in 1000 and the worst was 2 in 1000, two seperate companies deliver between them 70,000 and i get one job. it's not rocket science when you do them yourself you know they have gone through the door and miraculously the response is there to see, get someone to do them for you, response rate falls off a cliff.

I have waisted several thousand since i started nearly four years ago on leaflets, yes they do work but not when they are dumped in some alleyway. if you have a company that actually makes sure they are doing the job you are paying them to do, then hold on to them because in my experience they are rarer than rocking horse poo.

Paul Moss

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »
I have told you how to get your leaflets out  :) use your head guys we are in business to make US money  ;)