JM123

where's luke?
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:04:02 am »
Just wondering what has happened Luke Johnston?  He's no longer a member. 
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

supernova77

Re: where's luke?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:08:23 am »
Yeah, I was wondering the same???

Andy

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:34:22 am »
Maybe try having a look at this thread and you will see why he chose not to stay.  You will have to read the quoted text though as he seems to have deleted his posts.
Although it can be hard to read moods on the web, it looks like he was saying how great his knowledge was of WFP (even without any practical experience) and got the hump when Steve K called him on it.  Don't suppose I helped much with my jest about obscure glass.
I get the impression that many of the higher earners don't post so much anyway as they are too busy making money so it may not be much of a loss to him.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 06:24:21 am »
The thread is Finally!!
It started as a statement of hope and optimism, and ended funnily enough like the title of the thread.

I think he was bullied. You can read what he said because it is quoted.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:49:23 am »
The thread is Finally!!
It started as a statement of hope and optimism, and ended funnily enough like the title of the thread.

I disagree with the word bullied myself.  Looked more like oversensitivity to me.

cybersye

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:30:25 am »
Bit of a shame really
I never realised he was only 17!
He had a valid point though when he explained its very hard to read peoples thoughts correctly on a forum and easy to mis interpret.
I hope he comes back sometime and lets us know how he gets on.
Good luck Luke.

steve k

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:50 am »
he wasn`t bullied...?
When he stated that he had triple the experience of other window cleaners and he had only cleaned his own house, I merely said that what he means is technical knowledge and that he has a whole lot of practical learning to do yet.
He then said he was famous for asking questions on another site.
I pointed out that he is coming across as irritating because of his choice of vocabulary.
I also advised him that after posting about 270 times on this site and God only knows how many questions on Peter Fogwills site if he is indeed "famous", maybe it was about time he actually got out and found some customers as I don`t think he even has a round.

If you took on a 17 year old and they asked you 50 questions a day rather than actually putting brush to glass and getting the work done, I can guarantee you would be close to screaming after a few hours.
At some point, you would have to say:

"look, it really is not that difficult to understand...we have pure water - put the brush to the glass, turn water on, rub brush up and down the glassand then hold the brush off about an inch and let the water run from top to bottom...then do the next one. Repeat until I tell you to stop"

Removing salts from tap water is not even difficult science...it would probably struggle to make a lesson in a GCSE syllabus. I simply do not understand the fixation with the details. I haven`t a clue about how the combustion engine works but I can sit in a car and drive all day.

gary999

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:19:56 am »
Ah well he is only a kid,their not perfect but then again are any of us?

JM123

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 11:51:04 am »
ah I see, well at least he's keen - that should be gone come the winter!

Pity to see he's deleted his account, I hate seeing people do that, it's like they no longer want anything to do with the rest of us.

Bet you lot wish I was gone, but I'm not leaving I tell you!!  (In the style of Daffyd Thomas)

great having a day off (well no I have some commercial to do after 5 but same thing really, only 2.5hrs max)
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

john tomkins

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:34:19 pm »
If he deletes his posts and his account just because of some replies to him stating how good, how famous, more knowlegeable, etc etc he is..... then just wait till he gets his first complaint off on of his customer :P
 17 year olds....wah ;D

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 12:57:03 pm »
What you say is correct Steve. Had it just been you putting the case to Luke I think he would have conceded the point, laughted because it's not the end of the world, and moved on.

The sheer weight of people posting against him was where it touchs for me on the thin ice of being bullied.

You have a history of being positive, giving solid information, and being helpful. No critisism of you was intended.

I could live with Luke's faults because he had many good points.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 01:33:44 pm »
The typed word is often misunderstood, "Famous" was a tongue in cheek sense of humour which we all have but sometimes comes out not as we intended. He had a sudden influx of people clicking his fresh posts more than many on this forum for a long time. I will ask him back.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 01:51:24 pm »
How very very  sad  :'(  , he seems to have gone from Peters group as well.

Good luck Luke.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »
If we can carry on where he left off I feel sure his next question was going to be this. (And I want to know the answer myself)
What is the best set up out of a van for two men.
A. two pumps eco/vari, two hoses.
or
B. Only one of the above and back pack.
or
C. There is enough for second man to do getting hose in and out wiping sill, putting envelopes in, trading bottoms.

Pittmonkey

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 03:21:02 pm »
and in 10 years time he may be asking what is the best Aston Martin you can get for £200k

But he has to learn how to be strong when the going gets tough.

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 04:55:34 pm »
Rainwater, could I suggest 2 backpacks.

steve k

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 05:00:55 pm »
or 1 van with your own system installed for about £500.00...you do the tops WFP and your oppo does the bottoms trad.
You will race through the work and any window cleaner given a round of bottom windows only with no climbing will be thrilled (or should be!)

steve k

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 05:11:35 pm »
takes me back to when I first started out...

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3093.0

I read
I absorbed
I thought
I planned
I decided
I did it
Then I started posting... ;D

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 05:30:37 pm »
I think Luke may be on the way back, might take time to go thro the admin process.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 05:40:44 pm »
The thread is Finally!!

Sorry.  I goofed.  I meant to insert a link to the other thread.  Oops !!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 05:47:35 pm »
I think Luke may be on the way back, might take time to go thro the admin process.

Well I hope so.  There is more to this business than knowing the theory of pure water and system setups.  One of the first things I needed to learn when I started was to develop a thicker hide because if you don't do that, some of the custies will walk all over you (and I've found the old dears are the worst).

matt

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 06:22:58 pm »
he is a sponge :) he said its himself

seriously, he likes to know how things work ( some people do ) i guess he will be back

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 07:03:28 pm »
Just read your link Steve. You and Luke had a lot in common.
Where did you learn to write?

steve k

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 07:59:09 pm »
same place as you probably...school.

The difference is in our attitude...I decide quickly and act.
That was my first post and I prefer finding things out through experience...not by endless analysis.

NWH

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 08:06:40 pm »
He sometimes ask`s what appear to be stupid questions but the answers will save him a lot of time,i like his attitude.

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 06:49:04 am »
If I hadn't got a driving licence, if I hadn't got a lot of money but what was available was my Dad's and he was trusting me as a 17yr old to make the right decisions for the family, if I wanted to select the most suitable cost effective vehicle that gave our company a professional image but I had no experience of buying cars, if I had zero knowledge of wfp and purification systems other than from this forum.
Etc.
I think he did okay.

john tomkins

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 09:39:39 am »
If I hadn't got a driving licence, if I hadn't got a lot of money but what was available was my Dad's and he was trusting me as a 17yr old to make the right decisions for the family, if I wanted to select the most suitable cost effective vehicle that gave our company a professional image but I had no experience of buying cars, if I had zero knowledge of wfp and purification systems other than what  from this forum.
Etc.
I think he did okay.

I'll have a pint of whatever it is you have been drinking  ::)

twt

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »
more important where's wally

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 08:54:49 pm »
I'm here!!! don't know why I left? I was in a mood! I just deleted my account and instantly regreted it, just got back on today, read this topic, WOW it's like being at your own funeral, anyway I'm protectakoting my van on wednesday, just pulled ply lining out, and getting system next week, the date keeps changing because we are behind because of my dads other work.

Just for the record I don't think I am any better than anybody else, I am learning and have loads to learn yet, perhaps how to put across my opinion in a way that cannot be misuderstood!

Thank you for the nice comments guys, but I don't hink I'll be in an Aston Martin soon! I'll carry on asking questions and hopefully even steve k will help me out!  :) Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 09:05:35 pm »
I'm here!!! don't know why I left? I was in a mood! I just deleted my account and instantly regreted it, just got back on today, read this topic, WOW it's like being at your own funeral, anyway I'm protectakoting my van on wednesday, just pulled ply lining out, and getting system next week, the date keeps changing because we are behind because of my dads other work.

Just for the record I don't think I am any better than anybody else, I am learning and have loads to learn yet, perhaps how to put across my opinion in a way that cannot be misuderstood!

Thank you for the nice comments guys, but I don't hink I'll be in an Aston Martin soon! I'll carry on asking questions and hopefully even steve k will help me out!  :) Luke

Glad you made it back.  We're all entitled to get peed off at times.  When you getting your gold plated pole then?  :)

john tomkins

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2007, 09:46:50 pm »
Welcome back Luke,
Just don't be so touchy, we all have our off days you know ;D

jouk45

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2007, 10:02:50 pm »
welcome back luke,  ;D

Pittmonkey

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2007, 11:48:19 pm »
I'm sure Steve K will give you all the advice you need on Firefighting Luke :) ( You may have some catch up reading to do)

Welcome Back :)

Wayne
'Success is buried in the garden of failure'

rosskesava

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2007, 11:48:30 pm »
I sometimes just don't get the point of many threads and to be honest this is one of them.

I'm not un sympathetic to anyone who feels agrieved enough to leave this forum but if they do, then that is their choice.

In the world of window cleaning just as in this forum, people come and people go. It ain't no big deal.

Sorry, but I must be missing some point here.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 05:20:29 am »
The point you're probably missing rosskesava is the nice well meaning ambtious optimistic people being stomped on by the embittered and cynical.
This seems to have caused a kind of natural division.

pylofm

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 05:56:04 am »
Welcome back Luke ;D

Pj

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 06:44:51 am »
The point you're probably missing rosskesava is the nice well meaning ambtious optimistic people being stomped on by the embittered and cynical.
This seems to have caused a kind of natural division.

Is it possible to be Nice well meaning ambitious optomistic embittered and cynical at the same time?

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 07:15:11 am »
Yes if you'r Jekyll and Hyde!!!!!!!,Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 05:56:16 pm »
Good to see you're back Luke

bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

rosskesava

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 11:59:39 pm »
I have obviously missed the ambitious optomistic embittered and cynical postings.

I read through most postings at least once a week but I obviously missed that one.

Maybe it's like a wounded animal syndrome? You know, where we all feel sorry for it on the tv program but then go out tomorrow and buy the same meat and eat it in our sandwhiches.

Sorry Luke, I do not know you but if you choose to not post, then that is your choice. If you post on CUI, then that is great.

I still don't get the problem. The moderators on here do an excellant job. If any postings are beyond the mark, then they step in.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 07:15:57 am »
Ross - I think forums mean different things to different people.

To a lesser or greater degree they allow us to further our hobby, trade or social contacts. Some build up relationships with other posters and perhaps invest more of themselves than is healthy.

It's a game of three halves!

steve m

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 08:05:09 am »
maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a forum was another name for a chat room about a certain item/thing or trade. Now unless I've been reading it wrong, thats what happening here

rosskesava

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 10:02:28 pm »
Malc.

Yeah. Maybe you're right and maybe I'm just a cynic and I also get the point made by Steve m.

Cheers