EasyClean

Re: diy hot water system
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007, 10:20:15 pm »
Why do the majority of traditional window cleaners fill there buckets with hot water and not cold water in the mornings before setting off to work?
Why do housewives and some househusbands fill a kitchen sink with hot water and not cold water to wash the greasy cooking utensils, pots, pans, plates, etc?
Why do people choose to shower/bath in hot water not cold water?
Why do some professional cleaners use steam as a means of cleaning, sanitising work surfaces, kitchen appliances, etc?
Why is it that hot water will shift stubborn dirt easier than cold water?
Is it personal choice or is it that hot water really does outperform cold water when it comes to cleaning?
I don't use hot/warm water to impress any of my customers (domestic or commercial).
I choose to use hot/warm water because I can shift stubborn marks easier with minimal of physical effort because I suffer from chronic arthritus. I also use it because I can clean faster with it thus earning me more money or a shorter working day. Lastly I use it because the water is less dense, therefore it dries quicker which minimises any chance of any complaints when it's been raining all day if I choose to work in the rain.
Why do you choose to use cold water for cleaning windows with the waterfed pole method?
Have you ever tried a hot WFP system?
How can you criticise hot WFP systems until you've tried one for yourself?
Carry on using cold WFP systems. I will carry on using hot/warm WFP for cleaning windows, initial cleans, cladding, soffits, fascias, etc.
All WFP users need a vehicle to transport their water so why not look at fitting a large calorifier tank into your vehicle and draw the heat from your engine that would normally be dispersed (wasted) through the radiator. Most engines circulate the water around the engine block at a constant 80-85degrees Celsius. If it was re-circulated through the calorifier tank and then re-circulated indirectly back into the WFP tank then you would be making full use of the wasted heat. It's a one off expense with no additional running costs. I'm very surprised no one else has tapped into this DIY market.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

matt

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007, 10:49:31 pm »

All WFP users need a vehicle to transport their water so why not look at fitting a large calorifier tank into your vehicle and draw the heat from your engine that would normally be dispersed (wasted) through the radiator. Most engines circulate the water around the engine block at a constant 80-85degrees Celsius. If it was re-circulated through the calorifier tank and then re-circulated indirectly back into the WFP tank then you would be making full use of the wasted heat. It's a one off expense with no additional running costs. I'm very surprised no one else has tapped into this DIY market.

this was discussed on the DIY forum a while back, im not sure waht happened to it

Tim Rose

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 08:26:50 am »
Easyclean, are the standard plastic tanks suitable for holding warmed/hot water?  If not, the tanks might bend out of shape or even burst at the welded seams, I think people should be careful about heating water in a plastic tank.  Or maybe the temperature of the water is effective on the glass, and doesn't need to be at boiling point?

Tim Rose

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 09:07:33 am »
...and one other thing, I think people realsie that warm/hot water cleans better thancold, biut I think people here are a bit sceptical about the temperature of the water once it gets to the glass - it must cool down in the tube on the way up there.

EasyClean

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 07:05:51 pm »
Easyclean, are the standard plastic tanks suitable for holding warmed/hot water?  If not, the tanks might bend out of shape or even burst at the welded seams, I think people should be careful about heating water in a plastic tank.  Or maybe the temperature of the water is effective on the glass, and doesn't need to be at boiling point?

The polypropylene tanks are okay for storing hot water so long as it's not very hot. They do slowly bend out of shape if you're storing water that is too hot. Haven't had one leak on the seams yet. When they get too distorted I take them out of the stainless steel frame and use them as storage tanks for purifying my water at home. I change my tank roughly once every 2 years. I may invest in a better tank i.e. a stainless steel one at a later date when I have the funds. I have temperature gauges fitted at the tank input & output and at my hosereel to make sure my water is never too hot.
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

Tim Rose

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 07:16:30 pm »
Easyclean, is there one temperature that you aim for for most general w/c cleaning?  Or are you happy with a range of temepratures.

I have something that might interest you.

EasyClean

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 07:26:37 pm »
Easyclean, is there one temperature that you aim for for most general w/c cleaning?  Or are you happy with a range of temepratures.

I have something that might interest you.
In the winter I use caution and try to keep the water at 25-30 degrees but in the summer I'll go as high as 45 degrees. It all depends on whether I'm cleaning really old buildings/houses with old glass or new properties with UPVC double glazing. One of my customers is a 150 year old listed building with single glazed windows that are the originals. They are as thin as paper, none of them leak but I wouldn't dream of using anything but 'tepid' water on them. You kind of pick up a sixth sense of how hot to go with regards to cleaning windows through experience.

I'm interested to know what you have that might interest me? Tell me more.

Tim Rose

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2007, 07:42:51 pm »
I'll send you an interesting email that might interest you.

edd

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2007, 11:46:24 pm »
I think easyclean has said it all really but the customers love seeing all that
steamey hot water runing down the windows which does  dry a lot quicker
so less time to get contaminated you see , its easyier on you aswell but
£612.00 a month still takes some earning
realistly we could possiblly do one house an hour more with hot than cold
on average about £40.00 a day more so I think its worth the extra cost

Tim Rose

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2007, 08:39:09 pm »
I just want to add that we hear about warm/hot weather causing us wfpers with problems with spots.

The advice in such conditions to use more water to rinse.

Therefore, if you use a hot water system, in any weather conditions, does this not run the risk of spotting?

If not, then perhaps all the hoo harr about hot weather and spotting is just that - hoo harr.

?

edd

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2007, 10:30:45 pm »
the only time we`ve had spots is when the water wasn`t pure like
15tds because the resin was spent nothing to do with hot or cold
we only try to work when its dry anyway but the rain if not to hard
will not make any differance and if your brush isn`t clean it will spot
So nice clean brush , plenty of rinse hot or cold and clean windows
should not be a problem

Dave Turley

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 07:19:23 am »
I was surprised to find this post on the 2nd page considering the last post was June 2007??????

For anyone who's interested, I've been using hot (46 degrees C) for 2 years now and it's the best move I've made since going wfp 4 years ago.

MNWC

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 08:08:37 am »
did you diy it or buy it dave.

Dave Turley

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:14 am »
Hiya, diy gas caravan boiler with a thermostatic mixer valve.

I might go diesel next year with a new van.

jefftemperley

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 02:36:04 pm »
ive got the L5 gas shower rigged up it cost me

£120 inc tax roughly to ship from the states
only heats the water i use, i also refill my gas bottles with auto gas so running costs is no more than a fiver a week

it is nicer to work with because hoses kink less , snail trails insect and pird poo lift quicker, when rinsing water sheets better.
people often comment on the steam when working so its a good sales tool .

i find it quicker because it seems to work well with a little less rinsing, dont know why maybe vecause its less dense

i couldnt stomach the cost of all the other options the money i saved setting it up would pay my gas bill for 20 years

its a no brainer.
bad weather always looks worse through dirty windows

cat9921

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 02:43:57 pm »
hi guys. i'm keen to build a diy hot water system and would appreciate any ideas.

my current round is all close to home, so i don't think a calorifier would be of much use to me, as it wouldn't have time to heat the water.

i think propane heaters would work out expensive on gas, maybe red diesel would be better.

i have three specific questions as well.........

does hot water mean considerably less scrubbing? some months my windows take alot of scrubbing to remove dirt particles (the ones you can see on hydrophobic windows)

what temperatures do most hot systems run at?

is there a risk of cracking glass with hot water in the winter? if so, what is the maximum temperature which is considered to be safe

many thanks for all replies      :)

Dave when I clik your web site, it says that you use hot water  ::)