colin bird

Sealing tank lid
« on: March 16, 2021, 08:47:11 pm »
Thanks for reading,
I've had four purefreedom van mounted systems with a 500 l upright  wydevale tank,previously I've always been able to seal the tank lid by removing the lid,place a rubble sack over top of tank then screw Lid on happy days no leaks, this time I'm a year in,lid slightly leaking using the same process,I've also replaced rubber gasket but tank still slightly leaking,doing my head in.
The lid once sealed will not need to be removed
I've seen 25 MM Ptfe tape would this stop it leaking ?
Or is there any other way to seal the lid ?
Thanks for reading any solutions much appreciated

NWH

Re: Sealing tank lid
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 09:16:50 pm »
I had this same problem so in the end I just changed the tank completely no matter what I did it leaked non stop I tried sealing it changing the lids etc still leaked,if you get a hole saw you can cut over the holes that are already there and then replaced with Grippa tank lids it will solve the problem they are 99% leak free but it’ll cost 160-200 quid to fix it.  My new tank had a tiny lid just big enough for the hose nozzle to go in and eventually it snapped off,I just drilled a hole over the top of it and fitted a Grippa lid,should have done it ages before although the other little lid didn’t leak it started to split but this was after years.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 09:19:26 pm »
10 minutes to do this you want to try and make as little mess as you can even if you are careful you will still need to fish out little bits of plastic from drilling the new lids.

matthewprice

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 09:30:14 pm »
Had same problem .I replaced the gasket in the lid with a length of pole hose inserted into the lid . Screw lid down tight .no more leaks

colin bird

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 09:37:23 pm »
Had same problem .I replaced the gasket in the lid with a length of pole hose inserted into the lid . Screw lid down tight .no more leaks
How did you fix the pole hose Into  the lid without it moving when you screwed the lid on ?

windowswashed

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 10:01:29 pm »
Plug any hole in a water tank with Selleys storm sealant wet or dry (flexible sealant for indoor or outdoor use), very good stuff, best so far for leaks and holes.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 10:35:36 pm »
PTFE cured mine on a 500 wydale. You will need at least one whole roll of it though, you can't be shy with it! Slap it on till it looks unnatural.
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 10:51:38 pm »
I tried new gaskets etc it didn’t fix the issue they all leak they aren’t supposed to be ferried about like they are they are supposed to be static,in quiet a few cases they popped off the tighter I did them up the easier they popped.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 11:52:32 pm »
I tried new gaskets etc it didn’t fix the issue they all leak they aren’t supposed to be ferried about like they are they are supposed to be static,in quiet a few cases they popped off the tighter I did them up the easier they popped.

The gaskets are useless, you need to seal at the thread- that's what PTFE tape does. I don't even have a gasket fitted and mine is 100% water tight.
Comfortably Numb!

colin bird

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 06:29:17 am »
Plug any hole in a water tank with Selleys storm sealant wet or dry (flexible sealant for indoor or outdoor use), very good stuff, best so far for leaks and holes.
Do you just fill the thread with sealant then screw the lid on ?

colin bird

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 06:30:51 am »
PTFE cured mine on a 500 wydale. You will need at least one whole roll of it though, you can't be shy with it! Slap it on till it looks unnatural.
I've seen 25 MM wide Ptfe tape will give it a try

NWH

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 07:20:04 am »
Easiest final fix is by drilling over the lids with a hole saw it will take minutes to do problem solved.

JandS

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:03:00 pm »
I cut a square of plastic off one of my plastic sheets I use for protecting stuff....bigger than the hole......use a fork to put some tiny holes in it where it will be over the hole and screw the lid onto the plastic sheeting......not had a leak since and just replaced it with a new piece after about 18 months use.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 02:19:21 pm »
Simple to fix with drilling over the existing lid and using a Grippa one if you have those tanks and they don’t leak you’ve been lucky.

matthewprice

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 07:03:37 pm »
Cut pole hose to exact size . It sits in the grove in the lid nice and tight without falling out

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 09:38:12 pm »
I had this same problem so in the end I just changed the tank completely no matter what I did it leaked non stop I tried sealing it changing the lids etc still leaked,if you get a hole saw you can cut over the holes that are already there and then replaced with Grippa tank lids it will solve the problem they are 99% leak free but it’ll cost 160-200 quid to fix it.  My new tank had a tiny lid just big enough for the hose nozzle to go in and eventually it snapped off,I just drilled a hole over the top of it and fitted a Grippa lid,should have done it ages before although the other little lid didn’t leak it started to split but this was after years.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/armstrong-nautical-round-watertight-compression-deck-plates

You're welcome, no need to spend that much.  GrippaMax was originally designed by Alex Gardiner, and it wasn't called GrippaMax, can't remember what it was called actually.  As far as I remember he was the one that originally used the Armstrong lids as they are perfect in sealing the tank. Just be mindful, they are designed to be used as watertight seals on boat compartments. Hence, your tank will pull vacuum. I'm not sure what venting Grippatank use now but I've got some fun pictures of my very early GrippaMax where the whole tank is imploded after my first job. Fitted a motorsport fuel tank spring loaded ball valve which works both ways, prevents spilling but can still let air in.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 12:11:58 am »
The part of the lid that you tighten up has 2 very small holes when they arrive,the tank should really have a vent but if it hasn’t it would be a good idea to drill the next size up over the holes it comes with.
They do a adequate job but they are very small even a couple of resin beads could block a hole so you need to be mindful of this,without doubt though they are the best lids you’ll get.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 06:10:29 am »
I’ve had three wydale tanks. They’ve never leaked through the lid. Have made a couple of adjustments to a rough edge once & fitted my own loop of hose for an air vent as that often leaked.

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 01:59:01 pm »
I’ve had three wydale tanks. They’ve never leaked through the lid. Have made a couple of adjustments to a rough edge once & fitted my own loop of hose for an air vent as that often leaked.

Same......I've had my 500L wydale tank  over 6 years and the lid has never leaked
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 04:07:48 pm »
If I can remember I replaced the O rings twice on each lid and the lids themselves the same.

nathankaye

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 12:52:19 am »
i used to put a microfibre cloth over the hole and then put the lid on.  worked well
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 06:02:24 am »
I had a leaky tank lid until i smeared a thin bead of vasiline on the o ring. 

It's just replicating what every mechanic does when he replaces a spin on oil filter when servicing your car. He smears the oil seal gasket with oil.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 09:18:06 am »

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/armstrong-nautical-round-watertight-compression-deck-plates

You're welcome, no need to spend that much.  GrippaMax was originally designed by Alex Gardiner, and it wasn't called GrippaMax, can't remember what it was called actually.  As far as I remember he was the one that originally used the Armstrong lids as they are perfect in sealing the tank. Just be mindful, they are designed to be used as watertight seals on boat compartments. Hence, your tank will pull vacuum. I'm not sure what venting Grippatank use now but I've got some fun pictures of my very early GrippaMax where the whole tank is imploded after my first job. Fitted a motorsport fuel tank spring loaded ball valve which works both ways, prevents spilling but can still let air in.

It looks as though they still use the same supplier.
https://www.grippatank.co.uk/6-vented-deck-plate
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 10:24:37 am »
I had a leaky tank lid until i smeared a thin bead of vasiline on the o ring. 

It's just replicating what every mechanic does when he replaces a spin on oil filter when servicing your car. He smears the oil seal gasket with oil.

You can’t beat a bit of Lube round you’re O ring

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2021, 02:14:57 pm »

It looks as though they still use the same supplier.
https://www.grippatank.co.uk/6-vented-deck-plate

Cool, I didn't realise they sold these seperately. This is cheaper then buying it from the states.

NWH, why did you say it cost £160-200?

NWH

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 03:52:37 pm »
When I purchased a lid from Grippa I’m sure they charged me around £80-90 for 1,when I rang up and ordered it Peter said to me are you ready for this the price is X and I’m sure it was about that figure.