RPCCS

Van
« on: January 07, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »
My 07 Transit is rusting terribly, want to change it for a Dispatch/Expert, seen one for sale for £5,800, but still owe 1300 on bank loan for current van, due to finish 3/19. What would you do, keep current one and get the rust sorted and repainted, or see if the dealer finance will pay off existing loan, and add it to the finance for a newer van?
Looked into the scrapple schemes for buying a new van, but, although I would get 6k allowance for current van, it still means borrowing at least 15k for a new one, and I'm not prepared to put that noose round my neck.
Cheers Rich

The Jester of Wibbly

Re: Van
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:27:47 pm »
Depends on the loan you have. Personal loan or hp. If it's hp then yes, the final settlement will need to be paid before the dealer sells again.  Therefore the settlement will be added to your new deal providing loan to value is not to high depending on credit rating. ( hopefully your old van is not negative equity)

If it's a personal loan then it's not linked to the vehicle and will be your responsibility to settle.  However you can ask for cashback on the finance to settle your pl. But in doubt it will save you money as personal loans are normally cheaper.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

dd

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »
I am guessing you are not earning £300 a day plus like most on the forum then.

If you do go for dispatch/expert get the 2.0hdi as opposed to the 1.6hdi as they are less problematic.

My advice is to buy the best van your budget allows as you need a reliable van.

Is the rust on your van cosmetic or would it cause it to fail an MOT? If just cosmetic I am guessing the van should not fall apart in the next year or two so it might be worth keeping it a while longer.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:52:21 pm »
My 07 Transit is rusting terribly, want to change it for a Dispatch/Expert, seen one for sale for £5,800, but still owe 1300 on bank loan for current van, due to finish 3/19. What would you do, keep current one and get the rust sorted and repainted, or see if the dealer finance will pay off existing loan, and add it to the finance for a newer van?
Looked into the scrapple schemes for buying a new van, but, although I would get 6k allowance for current van, it still means borrowing at least 15k for a new one, and I'm not prepared to put that noose round my neck.
If you've got a bit of spare cash pay the loan off, this will mean you should be able to get a personal loan at around 3% if you go for a loan  over £7500, pay the loan off as quickly as possible so you pay less interest. This plus what you get for your own van will get you a decent van.
I wouldn't get the rust sorted as it will just reappear.

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:11 pm »
I am guessing you are not earning £300 a day plus like most on the forum then.

If you do go for dispatch/expert get the 2.0hdi as opposed to the 1.6hdi as they are less problematic.

My advice is to buy the best van your budget allows as you need a reliable van.

Is the rust on your van cosmetic or would it cause it to fail an MOT? If just cosmetic I am guessing the van should not fall apart in the next year or two so it might be worth keeping it a while longer.
£300 a day? I live in Tyneside, not central London lol.
Cheers Rich

RPCCS

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 01:09:31 pm »
If you've got a bit of spare cash pay the loan off, this will mean you should be able to get a personal loan at around 3% if you go for a loan  over £7500, pay the loan off as quickly as possible so you pay less interest. This plus what you get for your own van will get you a decent van.
I wouldn't get the rust sorted as it will just reappear.
I havent any spare cash,otherwise I would have bought it outright, I did have some cash  spare  a few months back and was going to do it then, but we had to use it to  pay the deposit for the new family car, which wasnt planned. 
Cheers Rich

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 01:15:01 pm »
It would depend on how bad the rust is and the condition of the rest of the van? If the rusty van was sound in every other respect  then I would most probably sort the rust out the best you can- even if this was a grinder and hammerite job. Remember, it's  never about how much you earn..... but how much of that YOU get to keep. ;)
Comfortably Numb!

Richard Stevenson

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 01:17:01 pm »
Forget the scrappage scheam, it's a big con .

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 01:30:53 pm »

I'm in the same boat as you. My 04 plate Citroen Relay hdi SWB is rusting away as well.

The problem I've experienced is the big difference between what you expect them to do, what they agree to do and what they actually do. In my case they welded a patch in the rust hole and botched the rest to look like they had done a good job. That was a waste of £800. They didn't even match the colour properly and within 3 months the rust was already bubbling out again..

There is a company down Devon way that will cut out the sills and wheel arches and replace with new body panels. They work with motorhomes, so the high cost is probably worth the investment for the owner as motorhomes always seem to hold their value. For me spending  £3000 wasn't worth it.

For the last MOT I got the welding done that was needed for the van to pass MOT. This year I will probably do the same.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

RPCCS

Re: Van v
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »
Same, had to have inner sill welded from front wheel arch to back of driver’s door. Rustis evident underneath, along the sills, wheel arches etc. Cost me £350 for test in September, dealer I bought it from had obviously done a quick flashover paint job before puttingbit up for sale. Its not holed, just surface rust, but makes the van look very tatty.  Im thinking if I can get it  sorted for say 3-400, it should last a year, by that time it will be paid for, and I should hopefully get a better px allowance against a newer van.
Cheers Rich

Don Kee

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:23 pm »
If its just surface rust on the sills and arches then do it yourself?

It really is very easy, it wont look factory but you can blend it in and it’ll still look good (did it on my 06 transit a few times (until I sold it) and t cut the rest)

Sand out the surface rust - Kurust - primer filler -  zinc primer - coloured paint of your van.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 02:58:25 pm »
You could lease a brand new van for around  £600(3months rent) and be driving around in it in less than 4 weeks time.put your prices up a bit to cover your monthly rent and no worries for years and years. No Mots either for at least 3 years. this is what I did.

Just put it down as a business expense.
price higher/work harder!

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 03:16:20 pm »
firstly  you need to have a chat with  the dealer and find out whats the best deal he can do , with your vans as a trade in and with out this will give you a idear on your figures

he wont really want your van but may be able to do you a better  deal with out it , so if he drops the van say 400 pounds with out a trade in then you only have to sell your for 900   at this point you havnt parted with a penny

gum tree and the transit page on face book is where to advertise your old van again free of charge , a follow window cleaner we know had his battery fall thought the floor in his 57reg transit as it was that rotten with water leeks in the back he got 750 for it of a guy that was sending it to Poland ?? this guys just buys old vans and sends them over there  comes with cash does the paper work and off it goes

this way you have kind of covered what outstanding on the van

when you start chasing transit tin worm you can spend more then the vans worth very quickly so again you need to get some figures of what its going to cost you to keep it and for it to pay you back with work without costing you more money 

you saying it should last me a year doesnt sound like its a good van at all so tipping good money after bad isn't the best idear , what going to go wrong next ? 

you wait a year extra you will get nothing extra trade in ive just been offered 2400 pounds trade in for a 11 reg transit 300 trend with 140k on the clock for a brand new transit custom m sport  they dont want trade ins , he said if i didnt trade the van he would drop the price buy 2k !

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 03:55:20 pm »
The trouble with old Transits and Ducato/Relay/Boxer is that they rust from the inside out.

I cut a piece of sill out. The outside still looks ok, just, but the rust is all inside the sills so the metal is paper thin. The only way to sort it is to cut it out and weld in fresh metal.
Is it worth it?

As Susan says, we are throwing good money after bad. But my van is mechanically sound and only has 66k on the clock. Must learn to weld thin sheet metal.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

andyM

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 04:17:42 pm »
Susan made another good point there of why it's not always best to trade your second hand van in.
Some dealers don't want them so won't offer you a good px price.
In the past I've negotiated a good discount deal for the new vehicle I was buying and then advertised my old van on Gumtree.
There is a bit of inconvenience as I had two vans sitting on the drive for a while until the old one sold.
But was worth it as I gained more £££££'s.
One of the Plebs

tlwcs

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »
The dealer will want to sell you his van and tell you he wants yours.
The dealer does not want your van, what would he do with it?
Your current van has 8/9 months mot and runs ok?
I would keep the van until the mot, you will owe very little on it by then. Don't worry about how it looks, if people ask your saving for a newer one.
There will be another van the dealer will want to sell you in September and you may, probably will get discount for not having a trade in.
Tony

Marc Stock

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 06:27:15 pm »
As above.

As long its not leaking oil all over your customers driveway, get the use out of it now up until the mot runs out.

All you need to do is work out how much money the van will have left on the finance by the time the mot runs out and divide that by the remaining time left till the mot.

Thats how much money you then put away every month to clear the credit down by the time you get rid of it.

Stoots

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 06:44:43 pm »
Tart it up with some spray cans for now , get another year out of it, pay finance off. Get another on finance, tart this one up again if needed and flog it.

P @ F

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 07:44:36 pm »
This is exactly what happened to me , when i got my Fiat i was offered px on my T4 of £800 .
I was all set to do the deal , just to make it easy as i could , it was basically the vat on the new van .

Then the weekend before the deal my other half said whack it on Gumtree , i whacked it on the site for £1400 and the Mrs went out for the night , the bloody phone didnt stop ringing , was driving me nuts , as it was pink and a bit faded i told them all to leave it until the morning to see it in daylight , the last woman to ring was taking no for an answer , her daughter wanted that van and that was that , they came out in pitch black and pushed £1400 cash into my hand , what could i say ?

Had no van for the Monday to Thursday the following week , but it did nothing but rain anyway so did not lose much in the way of earnings , my only regret was that i didnt put it up for £2000 , would have got it easy .
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Johnny B

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 08:06:58 pm »
Is it likely to get through another MOT?

If so, you could get it through and sell it with a year's MOT and get whatever you can for it.

If not, be prepared by then to have a replacement so you're not left stranded without a vehicle.

Either way, I would leave it exactly as it is, spend nothing unnecessary on it and put the money saved towards its replacement.

As said, by then there will be little left owing on it,  And don't worry about its appearance, chances are nobody else will care about it either.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

RPCCS

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 08:27:14 am »
Thanks all, yes van runs fine and itis just surface rust . I have already sanded the rust down once, painted itvwith kurust, and repainted.  I contacted the dealet about the van I was interested in, he wont take my vam, but would reduce the price by £200; I think if I went with cash,I could probably get it for £5500: They dont have a finance facility though. Looked into leasing, too expensive, price increase earlier last year, so cant do that. If I keep current van until MOT in September, I will owe about 600 on it. Its mot on finance its a loan.
Cheers Rich