Gerald Ash

Cleaning method
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:20:56 am »
Would like opinions on my technique.
 On first clean I use ecover soap & wagtail to clean all windows. After I go back over with water fed & give a good scrub & rinse especially on the edges where the wagtail can sometimes miss.
 I found this gives excellent results but is long winded but does save on water. All subsequent cleans are done with water fed only.
   Any advice gratefully received.

Small but perfectley formed

Re: Cleaning method
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:09:13 am »
if your method gives good results just charge more for first clean  :)
Spit and polish

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 07:23:42 am »
Hi Gerald - all going well I hope,

As said you need to charge more for first cleans to cover all that extra effort but personally I'd dump the wagtail we always treat the windows on a first clean with diluted g101 then scrub - this removes all the crud and grime - shines up the frames etc..  Then you give them a good rinse this saves changing equipment etc...

HTH

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:00:11 am »
Hi Gerald - all going well I hope,

As said you need to charge more for first cleans to cover all that extra effort but personally I'd dump the wagtail we always treat the windows on a first clean with diluted g101 then scrub - this removes all the crud and grime - shines up the frames etc..  Then you give them a good rinse this saves changing equipment etc...

HTH

Darran

I agree with that and maybe use tap water if water usage is a problem. Then rinse with pure.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

gary999

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:49 am »
if customer has outside tap then i give a good blast gets rid
of all the crap and then rinse with pure

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 09:16:07 am »
i just use pure and spend twice or 3 times as long if its a really dirty first clean making sure the frames and sills are scrubbed and rinsed thoroughly before tackling the glass.

after that its a lot faster on regular cleans and thats where you make your money.

occasionally on ground floor windows if they are really bad ill blade off the water if i think they will spot.
price higher/work harder!

roundbuilder

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:31:48 am »
i just use pure and spend twice or 3 times as long if its a really dirty first clean making sure the frames and sills are scrubbed and rinsed thoroughly before tackling the glass.

after that its a lot faster on regular cleans and thats where you make your money.

occasionally on ground floor windows if they are really bad ill blade off the water if i think they will spot.
Agreed, the last year i always blade of the lower windows on first cleans, its nice to walk away seeing it imaculate on a first clean.

windiewasher

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:33:18 am »
I just use pure water as i do any clean.i take longer cleaning sills frames etc but dont use chems.
Takings off all first cleans till march 7th 2014
October  total=  cleaned  extra per month
November = cleaned extra per month
Total £  so far.

DG Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:46 am »
I just use pure give everything a good scrub.
Then if possible go and do a few more houses while it dries.
Then come back and just clean the glass.
Blading the bottom windows seems like a good day idea though  ;D

Gerald Ash

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:27 am »
Cheers guys, I`m paranoid about using too much pure water. I do squeegee the bottom ones after &  give them a good polish with a clean microfibre as Mick Kent said it looks good.
    Will also try out coming back after they`ve dried.
      The idea of charging more for first cleans is not for me because I explain that the job will take a lot longer & the customer feels they are being given real value. I have a few who only have it as a one off but at least half have it done again when I knock on their door four weeks later because of the care I take of them. Customer service is the way to go, some don`t appreciate it but the vast majority do.   
  Will try all the advice as knowledge is invaluable in business.

roundbuilder

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
Cheers guys, I`m paranoid about using too much pure water. I do squeegee the bottom ones after &  give them a good polish with a clean microfibre as Mick Kent said it looks good.
      The idea of charging more for first cleans is not for me because I explain that the job will take a lot longer & the customer feels they are being given real value. I have a few who only have it as a one off but at least half have it done again when I knock on their door four weeks later because of the care I take of them. Customer service is the way to go, some don`t appreciate it but the vast majority do.   
Fair play, im the same i see the first clean as an investment clean! Do it good and the customer will be with you for a long time! I feel if i charge more they have a less of a good view towards us. I used to charge 50% more on First cleans but found i had a lot change there mind last min when i turned up or didnt think it was fair of me to charge more and a lot just took it as a 1 off! Now i stopped charging more customers respect me a lot more and i notice a massive drop in cancalations which is all good for long term customers.

Michael Peterson

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 12:29:44 pm »
why are you knocking on their door in four weeks time, explain that's its a monthly service and just clean them, if they want a one off they can be charged double.

you have to think of your business it must be sustainable, window cleaning is all about regular work and regular reliable customers, you will always use more water on first cleans, but far less on regualar, what s the point in purifying water at all and providing a service in which windows air dry to perfect results if you finish the job then get the trad equipment out and blade the windows, not only does that show not a lot of confidence in the system customers will come to expect it. water fed pole is made to leave windows wet trust the system, you will work so much faster this way, which at the end of the day earns your business more money

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 12:35:39 pm »
Good on you Gerry you are using your head and its great to see someone trying to give service and not just raming them in.

8weekly

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:27 pm »
Fair play, im the same i see the first clean as an investment clean! Do it good and the customer will be with you for a long time! I feel if i charge more they have a less of a good view towards us. I used to charge 50% more on First cleans but found i had a lot change there mind last min when i turned up or didnt think it was fair of me to charge more and a lot just took it as a 1 off! Now i stopped charging more customers respect me a lot more and i notice a massive drop in cancalations which is all good for long term customers.
You will have to educate Gerald on what you do different then, because he says that about half treat it as a one off. I must admit that my experience of canvassed work is much like Gerald's i.e. an awful lot drop out within 3 or 4 cleans.

roundbuilder

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 04:53:27 pm »
You will have to educate Gerald on what you do different then, because he says that about half treat it as a one off. I must admit that my experience of canvassed work is much like Gerald's i.e. an awful lot drop out within 3 or 4 cleans.
Its all where you canvas mate, if you target councal houses/social housing, rented properties your going to get no end of hassle from them! Target £250k plus houses and as long as hou do a good job they will want there windows to stay clean and be good customers. its all how you target potential customers.

deeege

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 06:57:04 pm »
Its all where you canvas mate, if you target councal houses/social housing, rented properties your going to get no end of hassle from them! Target £250k plus houses and as long as hou do a good job they will want there windows to stay clean and be good customers. its all how you target potential customers.

Isn't every house £250k + down your way?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

8weekly

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 07:20:18 pm »

It is down my way. And I don't do any council housing knowingly. My leafleters are told to avoinpd ouncil estates and I would never dream of knocking there. They must just be clean window lovers in Kent.

roundbuilder

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »
Lol deege yea pretty much but i steer clear of anything other than bought houses which keeps retention up and good loual customers on board.

roundbuilder

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:27 pm »

It is down my way. And I don't do any council housing knowingly. My leafleters are told to avoinpd ouncil estates and I would never dream of knocking there. They must just be clean window lovers in Kent.

if a customer wants a window cleaner and you do a "good job" chances are they will be a good customer and stick with you i find. Its all down to doing a good first clean and making the customer like you.
Its common knowledge that rarely would someone buy a house and not want there windows clean unless they are old and falling to bits, hence most houses on bought roads all have clean windows by a window cleaner and rough estates and dumps are all filthy as no one cares.
Maybe it is different where i work as i target blackheath and surrounding areas which is all a nice area with pound notes everywhere.

home6442

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 08:36:19 pm »

Its not only council estates try going into a new build full of young first time buyers.
They like the idea of having their windows cleaned but don't like the idea of paying.
Made that mistake when starting up.