Scrimble

Re: How safe is your gas?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 05:06:03 pm »
do you even need to have it installed by a gas safe engineer?

i'm with a plan and my heater, propane bottle and wfp tank etc is all declared on insurance, it was actually cheaper than who i was with before

Paul Clapham

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »
I would have thought , for insurance reasons, it would need to be fitted be a registered Gas Safe installer for insurance reasons, re safety certification ??

This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

mattstanley

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 09:00:32 am »
I would have thought , for insurance reasons, it would need to be fitted be a registered Gas Safe installer for insurance reasons, re safety certification ??

I really don't know but I would have thought this should be the case. I reckon (though I don't know) no one in authority has thought of this scenario and all the DIYers a utilising a big loop hole - as I say, I'm only guessing.

Just for the record, I'm cold water wfp, so have no axe to grind.

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 10:18:16 am »
The boilers do not need to be fitted by a gas fitter as they are regarded  as portable camping water heater. What I have fitted is a gas alarm of my van battery.  Got this of e bay a little pricy but worth the safety factor fitted it on the floor of the van.THis is the alarm I have fitted on the floor in my van £59 off e bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Alarm-Carbon-Monoxide-Knockout-Gas-Butane-Propane-LPG-Coal-Gas-/140636887828?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item20be9c9b14

Just found a cheaper one below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Alarm-863-Dual-Sensor-Alerts-CO-LPG-Knockout-Gas-Motorhome-12v-230v-/290866656087?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b900f357http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-alarm-Ga-617-Natural-propane-and-butane-gas-Mains-or-12-Volt-/251241532547?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3a7f298c83

Scrimble

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 10:23:17 am »

it would be for your own safety

Paul Clapham

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 10:25:43 am »
the last time I insured my Van i had to declare all modifications to it , this included even the ply lining,

I am a carpet cleaner , but IF I was carrying gas for heating up the water for WFP window cleaning I would make sure that I was covered on my insurance.............Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend that you check your policy or even call them up and have a chat with them, because if you have an accident and they discover that you had not told them you where carrying Gas they might  invalidate your insurance.

This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:42:00 am »
I agree to your insurance commitments but one needs to be aware of these things even a leaking exhaust can lead to sleepiness and a possible bad result and harm to yourself.

LBWCS

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 10:43:32 am »
The boilers do not need to be fitted by a gas fitter as they are regarded  as portable camping water heater. What I have fitted is a gas alarm of my van battery.  Got this of e bay a little pricy but worth the safety factor fitted it on the floor of the van.THis is the alarm I have fitted on the floor in my van £59 off e bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Alarm-Carbon-Monoxide-Knockout-Gas-Butane-Propane-LPG-Coal-Gas-/140636887828?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item20be9c9b14

Just found a cheaper one below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Alarm-863-Dual-Sensor-Alerts-CO-LPG-Knockout-Gas-Motorhome-12v-230v-/290866656087?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item43b900f357http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-alarm-Ga-617-Natural-propane-and-butane-gas-Mains-or-12-Volt-/251241532547?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3a7f298c83

Looks good have u release some gas and tested it?

Dave Willis

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »
I'm amazed we are still allowed to pour petrol into our cars with no training or certificates whatsoever.

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:10 pm »
Yes |I have tested my alarm. What one needs to bare in mind gas will flow to the lowest area in the van so fit it there. I also have my gas boiler at the sliding door so leaks will go outside and I close the boilers valves switch off and close the tap on the bottle when I put the pole into my van. That`s my practice. If in bought one can have a floor vent in the lowest of the van for the lost gas to escape. I thing one just needs to develop a few good practices LIKE CHECKING YOU GAS HOSE AND boiler for loose hoses etc,

mattstanley

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 05:38:15 pm »
I'm amazed we are still allowed to pour petrol into our cars with no training or certificates whatsoever.

;D

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »
If some nervy folk had it there way we would not be able to go to the loo on our own. Come on Guys we are men not wimps just use your brains. We don`t need the nanny state.
No worries Mommy and Daddy will. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Frankybadboy

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:39 pm »
iam amazed that your aloud to touch anything ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 08:17:33 pm »
 :o

Rob_Mac

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 08:34:37 pm »
I was travelling back from Streatham this morning and got in a taxi from the hotel, to get to the train station.

Literally moments in front of me a motorcyclist went into the back of a bus, shut the high street at Croydon.

In the same way that he didn't go out of the door this morning to have an accident, neither will you mean to have a gas explosion when it happens.

Using standard PTFE tape on gas is wrong, yellow PTFE or putty for the thread and it might not be financially the right thing to do when renewing policies but you wont be insured if you don't tell them.

I bet the people who haven't told their insurance that they are carrying gas aren't shy about coming on here and telling us how well they are doing.

I dare any one of you to tell your insurance that you are carrying gas and I guarantee that you wont be insured by tomorrow night!!!!

Good luck

Rob ;D

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:40 pm »
Every plumber/ roofer carries gas, whats the big deal.Its not a bomb. There are really some wanting to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Do you even have a water heater? For suck fake.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 08:51:57 pm »
I don't have a heater but I have fitted out two camper vans, completely, when I told the insurance that they would be carrying gas they wouldn't insure them - so I think I know what I am talking about!

Now I'll ask you do you carry gas?

Does your insurance know??

You can put your head up your ar*e all you want and try and belittle me but you will end up looking like a moron - so carry on!!!

Rob ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 08:54:53 pm »
Don't all camper vans carry gas?

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 08:56:04 pm »
Yes to both.I know every thing of  I build a camper van maybe you phoned the wrong insurance company.End of.