Dave Willis

How safe is your gas?
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »
My heater has been smelling a bit 'gassy' lately. I thought it might be the windy weather blowing fumes back down the flue. Anyway it was a calm day today and the whiff of gas was even stronger. I checked the gas pipe and jubilee clips with fairy liquid and all seemed fine. Carried on working then thought I'd check the regulator was tight - it was. Then I poured some soap onto the threads of the regulator and it bubbled up straight away. Took the van into the marine centre where I bought the cylinder to get it checked out. Turns out the valve was badly corroded on the cylinder itself preventing the regulator from seating properly.
Quite worrying really.

Michael Peterson

Re: How safe is your gas?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:15:57 pm »
should be part of checks all the time, keep fairy liquiding all the joins and all will be fine mate

Deangsi

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »
should be part of checks all the time, keep fairy liquiding all the joins and all will be fine mate

good post

steven ainger

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 05:25:24 pm »
i had a few problems when i used the lpg cylinders from the garage,
i used ptfe tap around the threads when i replaced the cyclinders.
i now use the refillable tank which you dont have to unscrew the regulator and its alot better.

bobplum

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:17:35 pm »
you should not use fairy,get the proper stuff from a plumbers merchant,fairy corrodes metal

steven ainger

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:20:23 pm »
So does this mean wfp is better on metal frame windows than trad guys using fairy ???

bobplum

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:43 pm »
it probably relates to copper more than most metals(i think)
it was found to corrode metals? because it contains various oils and i believe salt,a lot of gas engineers use to use it for detection reasons and this is how the found out it corrodes.
I was also told you should never use it to wash cars for the same reason so i guess it can corrode other metals

...............you have haven't you............washed your golf sticks

steven ainger

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 07:48:59 pm »
Also another point on gas safety,
I was told at the caravan service garage, where i fill up my gas cylinder, that the gas hoses have a sell by date on them as they degrade after a few years & should be replaced,

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:09 pm »
On my Camping Gaz cooker to bottle hose it says "remplacer avant 1989!"

:o :o :o

It's a game of three halves!

LBWCS

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 08:10:34 am »
Excellent post I think we should talk more about gas safety. A do's and don'ts checklist.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 10:00:54 am »
A good reason why gas bottles in caravans are always on the draw bar outside of the living areas. Motor homes have them in a sealed to the van compartment vented outside.

Wasn't the company Reach it selling their gas heater conversion with a sealed gas container vented to the outside through the floor?

Personally I think the safest way is a 'Gas It' tank and external filler system. Yes, it much more expensive but a least its safer.

Countering that, I haven't heard of a report of a builder's van/roofer's van 'blowing' up because of a faulty gas bottle, although I have heard reports of a couple of caravans catching fire.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ronnie Bryce

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:20 am »
Transporting cylinders in cars, vans, or in any enclosed vehicle is extremely dangerous, and should be avoided. Never transport flammable gases in the trunk or passenger compartment of a vehicle. Many persons disregard this warning every year, and there are many vehicle explosions as a result. We urge you to have the cylinders delivered in an appropriate vehicle.

LINK..
http://www.airgas.com/content/details.aspx?id=7000000000010

I don't use gas myself. Is it not extremely dangerous to have your boilers fitted to rear door's though? What would happen if you had a hard impact from the rear and sparks hit a ruptured pipe or joint on the unit. Would that be kaboom or am I missing summat?

home6442

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 10:56:53 am »
Another point to remember is that gas is heavier than air so can build up on the floor
of the van if leaking.
That why motorhome gas compartments have the air vents at the bottom.

Scrimble

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15:48 am »

I don't use gas myself. Is it not extremely dangerous to have your boilers fitted to rear door's though? What would happen if you had a hard impact from the rear and sparks hit a ruptured pipe or joint on the unit. Would that be kaboom or am I missing summat?

you shut the gas off at the bottle when not in use, if a pipe to the heater itself is ruptured gas wont just pour out of the bottle

Ronnie Bryce

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 11:21:45 am »

you shut the gas off at the bottle when not in use, if a pipe to the heater itself is ruptured gas wont just pour out of the bottle

But it will come out the pipe and whatever is in the boiler unit, potential for a fire?

Have a look at this link. The problem here, at least to me is that boilers are not intended to be fitted to vans, nor is the coupling devices to the gas container. I am not scaremainering but think many of you fail to realize just what you are playing with at times.
http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/assets/petroleum-pdf/safety_alert050.pdf

mattstanley

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
I think it will be only a matter of time before we hear about a window cleaner who has a nasty incident with their cobbled together hot water system - I agree with Ronnie, I fear some are being a bit complacent  :-\

Scrimble

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 01:15:26 pm »
I think it will be only a matter of time before we hear about a window cleaner who has a nasty incident with their cobbled together hot water system - I agree with Ronnie, I fear some are being a bit complacent  :-\

i agree, however i do believe that with the right measures in place they can be fitted and used safely,

wfp master

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 03:57:10 pm »
yes a D I Y  job. gas & electricity is not something to mess around with & defo a no no in a confined space like a van.

i agree, however i do believe that with the right measures in place they can be fitted and used safely,
some will still try & D I Y thats when problems could start.

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:30 pm »
Mine was obviously seeping out gas during use. So the heater could ignite it or quite possibly a spark from the pump could ignite any gas build up particularly as I leave the controller on all day. The fact that I always work with the tailgate fully open helps (Toyota Hiace) but there is potential there for trouble. I think some vents through the floor would be a good idea.
Gone back to cold water today.  ;D

Paul Clapham

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:46:43 pm »
Have you guys had your Gas water heaters fitted by a registered "Gas Safe " fitter ,

and how does it affect your van insurance?

cheers

Paul

This is the season for fine wine, and drunken friends, enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life.