Ian_Giles

Vans, Lease or buy.. where is best??
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:27:44 pm »
 Who are the best out there for buying a new van from? Either leaseback or leasepurchase, hire purchase or bank loan?

I've decided to go for a Vivaro/Traffic/Primestar (whichever offers the best deal).
Have a sciatic nerve problem, my Osteopath (who also happens to be my Dr) has said this has probably come about through humping eight 25l water containers in and out of the back of the car a couple of times a day.
Says I cold well be in a high risk catogory for a serious spinal/disc injury if I don't change  :-\

So that is my final spur!

Anyone else got sciatica? Drives you around the bloody twist!

So...who out there is offering the best deals on vans? New ones not second hand though!

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Moderator David@stives

Re: Vans, Lease or buy.. where is best??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:35:40 pm »
Ian

All i know vehcle leasing is only an advantage is if you are vat registered ,because you dont pay the vat or something and can work out about 10% cheaper.

Dave

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 10:36:50 pm »
Evening Ian,

When we were looking the two manufacturers who offered the best deals (apr etc) were Citroen and LDV.

Both vehicles were suitable for the payloads we needed and the new LDV Maxim were only launched recently so we were offered one for £10500 and susect theres a deal to be had there.

Regards,

Sarah

PS :  Went for older LDV in the end R plate for £3K - work horses used by the Post Office !!
Sarah

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:43:32 pm »
Sciatica?  Did I ever tell you about how I developed Sciatica?
               Along with my 4 & 5 lumbar discs thinning?
               All partly aggravating my chronic strain of my sacro/illiac joint?

Remind me again.....It all began when I was about 19.....

Pj

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 05:18:11 pm »
If I was told right
Leasing = you can claim all the payments against Tax plus they maintain it... then for a nominal payment you buy it

Buy = you can claim payments against tax-or- claim the depriciation over a period of time ...

I get confussed every time I think about it..

The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

S.C.S

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 08:58:09 pm »
Good subject,

I was talking to my accountant the other day i explained to him that i was gonna get a loan to buy a brand new van cause i was fed up with second hand ones.
He advised me to consider leaseing as all payments would go against tax.

I went to vauxhall on friday i picked a 05 plate brand fine new only 14 mile on clock in silver becuase i leased 2 on a 2 yr lease they work out at £149.00 a month plus vat that includes rac cover for both vans and also free servicing every 10.000 mile which if i work it out would be about every 12 month.

Pick both vans up October 28th well happy so from my experience id lease , You got no major payment, you get brand new van which if it brakes you take back plus its only 2 years after that you give the van back and carry out another lease on a brand new one again which looks good for the buiness if your driving around in brand new vans.

O yeah i had to put £250 deposit on each van that was all.

Hope this helps
 :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:45:05 pm »
About buying the vehicle back at the end of the lease.... I think you cannot buy it yourself but it has to go to a 3rd party. (Which could be a relative?wife?)
It's a game of three halves!

DASERVICES

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:11:08 pm »
  I looked into this but after weighing pro's and con's and bought a second hand
  van as this was the best option.

The best option options for leasing or buying I found was http://www.virgincars.com/

They had the best offers around.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:35:20 am »
S.C.S.
WHich model van did you actually go for?
Engine size, turbo/non turbo
Extra's?
And so on.
That price is very good if it is the Vivaro.
What restrictions are there on things such as getting it sign written, or bolting a tank & cage into the back?
Would you be allowed to waterproof the floor in any of the three ways possible for our trade? (i.e. Speedliner, Fibreglass or Protecta-kote)

Malc,
With leaseback or lease purchase you are correct, to get the tax advantages you are not allowed to own the van at end of term, butthe company you go with  usually build in the re-sale value of the van at the end of the term, you either pay a little extra per month, or a larger lump sum at the end.
But they will do all that stuff for you.

I intend to give the tax man a ring and see what he has to say.
Apparently, if you keep a vehicle for a long time, 5 years or more, then the tax advantages of leasing are no better than buying your van :-\
So perhaps I'll just go for whatever works out the cheapest at end of term ;)

Unless as S.C.S is going to do, change vans every couple of years!

Regards,

Ian

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 09:44:33 am »
I intend to give the tax man a ring and see what he has to say

You got it

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 10:03:00 am »
Don't take it from me, but you are right Ian, over 5 year period there is no tax advantage either way. ie. leasing/buying.  Tax Accountants are no fools, they have thought the figures through and through, it's what they do all day.
As for what works out cheapest in the end, I think my accountant had it right, he said, "If you want to loose money, buy a vehicle!"  It really all depends on how much you can afford to loose over a 5 year period.
You got £500?  Buy an old banger, it'll be worthless in a year.  Spend £10,000 it'll be worth maybe 3-4k.

Pj
tea break over

S.C.S

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 10:12:06 am »
S.C.S.
WHich model van did you actually go for?
Engine size, turbo/non turbo
Extra's?
And so on.

Ive gone for the astar 1.7 cdti envoy van in silver which is the turbo extras are the colour as they are normally white also they fitted roof bars and for this price i cannot exceed 10000 mile a year as a milage allowance comes into play but i wont go nowwhere near this i reckon.

picture below of similar van

As for sign writeing its fine as long as its the stuff you can peel off which is what i use anyway

cheers

andy

mark f

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 10:48:53 am »
Looked into this myself and i have a friend who runs a leasing company and could get good deal. He wouldnt allow bolts to be put through chasis. Also any damage is picked up on and you pay when leasing.

I dont think it makes much difference e.g

Payments on new dispatch are  about 200 a month

The lease payments are similar but you end up with nothing, and maybe a big bill for damage!

I opted to by from auction a 51 plate dispatch for just over 3k plus vat but i dont think i will do it again, i havnt the nerves!!

I think i may look next year to buy new and trade what i have bought in. (I bought it in april).

I was worried what my customers would think if i bought a nice van but they think it is good! So 06 plate here we come! ( well maybe)

neil100

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 07:15:55 pm »
Ian.

Just had a fiat ducato van deliverd yesterday.Its a special series known as dynamic.£ for £ its the best value van avlailable at the momment.

Remote c/locking,e windows.e mirrors,airbag,abs, cd player,and the best bit ,steel bulkhead with window in and fully lined.

1145kg payload. reanult traffics are only 1023kg payload.

Its been pre registerd by Fiat,and left in their compound at Avonmouth.Its 05 plate
but had 5 miles on the clock.Belive you me Ive researched all the vans and if value for money is high on your list. BUY it while you can.

For the smart alecs who turn their nose up at fiat.Know this its exactly the same as the peugeuot boxer, and citeron relay. But they dont have the extra kit.

Got a 2.0ltr d engine which is newer and better then hdi.

i allways buy.dont rent my telly. I certianly wont rent or lease.I like to know its mine.
£8300.+ vat. YOur traffics are £2500. more,smaller in width,less payload.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 10:14:02 pm »
Neil,
Is that really all a new Ducato costs??
You surprise me there, a bigger van I would have thought would have been more expensive.
And I know they are the same as the boxer and relay.

What is the fuel economy like?

And what about performance?

I drove a relay some months ago and it trundled along nicely at a ton and drove like a car, though I'm not sure which engine it had in it.

With the Traffic/Vivaro/Primestar the load rate you quoted is the starting rate, they also go up to 1250k or so.
They are all the same van of course, just like the Ducato/Boxer/Relay are in their range.

If the van is actually that much cheaper I'll have a look at that range too.

Regards,

Ian

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 10:22:10 pm »
Ian.

Just had a fiat ducato van deliverd yesterday.Its a special series known as dynamic.£ for £ its the best value van avlailable at the momment.

Remote c/locking,e windows.e mirrors,airbag,abs, cd player,and the best bit ,steel bulkhead with window in and fully lined.

1145kg payload. reanult traffics are only 1023kg payload.

It depends what sort of Trafic.  Some are 1216 payload.

neil100

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 11:01:24 pm »
Ian,

I know the traffic payloads can go up according to size,but so does the price.
And in my book price is the king.

I'm switching to wfp, my son is working with me so i have bought a van that can happily have 2 wotking from it. The width was important as I wanted to run two hosepipes from the back.Its better then a traffic.Ducato as 7.5 cubic meters space compared with traffics 5.

Dont know about econemy,but then again nobody tests a van when its fully laden anayway. It depends more if its hilly or flat.

The bulkheads free.so the cab should not smell like a pair of old wellies.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 04:37:18 am »
Ian,

I know the traffic payloads can go up according to size,but so does the price.
And in my book price is the king.

I'm switching to wfp, my son is working with me so i have bought a van that can happily have 2 wotking from it. The width was important as I wanted to run two hosepipes from the back.Its better then a traffic.Ducato as 7.5 cubic meters space compared with traffics 5.

Dont know about econemy,but then again nobody tests a van when its fully laden anayway. It depends more if its hilly or flat.

The bulkheads free.so the cab should not smell like a pair of old wellies.

Price was an issue for me too Neil so I am buying second hand.  The tank was already installed as the Trafic was owned by a WFP window cleaner so I've also saved a bit on speed lining and being off road for a few days.  Maybe I should have gone for longer wheelbase but the longer poles fit on the diagonal OK (diagonal along one side as opposed to diagonal across).

stephen d

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 10:25:47 am »
neil, did you buy your van locally or did you get it off a web site,cheers steve

Paul Coleman

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 11:51:31 am »
Neil,
Is that really all a new Ducato costs??
You surprise me there, a bigger van I would have thought would have been more expensive.
And I know they are the same as the boxer and relay.

What is the fuel economy like?

And what about performance?

I drove a relay some months ago and it trundled along nicely at a ton and drove like a car, though I'm not sure which engine it had in it.

With the Traffic/Vivaro/Primestar the load rate you quoted is the starting rate, they also go up to 1250k or so.
They are all the same van of course, just like the Ducato/Boxer/Relay are in their range.

If the van is actually that much cheaper I'll have a look at that range too.

Regards,

Ian

Ian.
If you want to borrow the money for purchase, Abbey are doing loans at 5.7% if you arrange it online.  I think that vans are regarded as business items but new cars can be spread over 5 years and they are OK with self-employed.  Not that I would suggest funding a part of your business from a personal loan of course.
Having any loan as a general loan rather than being specifically attached to a vehicle (i.e. the vehicle NOT being collateral) can be an advantage if the finances all go pear shaped.

neil100

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 08:20:30 pm »
steve,

http://www.thevanwebsite.co.uk/ this is a good web site to check what the best offers are on the net. Just put the make and model in top left hand corner and hey presto, best deals on the net.

http://www.newauto.co.uk/ This is where I orderd my van from.click new prices and you have a price for all their vans. Ducato is on their for £8,395. +vat.Ask john or Richard to price match at £8,300. +vat.Deliverd for free on transporter.

http://www.airevancentre.co.uk/vans.htm.Good site.click on van info,then make, it gives you all payloads etc.Good if you are comparing vans.

hope it helps.nel