Rob_B

How big is your pointer?
« on: October 21, 2003, 05:43:57 pm »
Hello all,

I've been making do with bog standard ladders for a year now, and after a lot of uming and aring I am going to buy a pointer.

I was looking at a set 2.05 metres closed 5.33 metres fully extended. ( sorry oldies, I haven't a clue how big that is in old money)

i mostly do residential a lot of bay windows.
Does this size sound about right, or will they be too big and bulky.
What's a safe height to go up to on a pointer, I have never used one before?

STEVE71163

Re: How big is your pointer?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 05:52:41 pm »
Hi Rob,
         I mostly use a 3.66m (Double 12ft) and this is fine for most residential jobs.

Hope this Helps!

Steve

Rob_B

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 06:11:48 pm »
Cheers Steve,

Hmm thats even bigger than what I was looking at which I thought might be too big and clumsy. Quite a bit of difference in price too. Any idea why pointers are so dear?

STEVE71163

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 06:17:04 pm »
Hi Rob,
         No i don't know why they are so much more expensive but i would not be without one because they are so much safer on uneven ground and they can get where a standard ladder can not.

Steve Lowe

Rob_B

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 06:21:12 pm »
Yes,

I have noticed a lot of people mention that they are safer which is why I'm going to purchase one. thanks for your time.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 08:31:45 pm »
Hi Rob
when you say pointers do you mean A-frame ladders
Cheers Alan

Rob_B

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 08:49:11 pm »
Hi alan,

Yes I do mean A frame ladders, I said pointer because the ladders I'm getting are called a Monarch Wooden Pointer by Titan.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 09:01:40 pm »
Hi Rob
I have just up graded all my ladders to A-frame and noticed on 1st job wish I got them years ago your right so much safer I got myself Heavy duty alloy double 21.7ft another double light alloy 14ft and a 6ft single point they also look far more professional I have had loads of comments about them, I use them to sell my business saying safer as I can work on top off the window as no more reaching and no slips and also eliminate any damage to the customers frames no scratching etc and it is worth a few bob more to the customer I put an extra 50p to £1 on all new jobs.
I got mine from Lansford www.ladders999.co.uk

Cheers Alan

Rob_B

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 05:48:23 pm »
I got my new ladders today, and I must say i can't beleive how much better they are.

I was a bit weary of them at first I couldn't get my head around ladders resting on a point, but felt a lot safer by being able to rest my ladder 1/2 to 3/4 up a window instead of on the sill.

All new starters these are a must, i remember when i was starting out, it wasn't too pleasent working up ladders until I got used to it. Forget about the price.

Steve Lowe, I got the same size as you use, and I think these will be perfect, I'm used to a small set of alloy ladders though, these wooden ones aren't half heavy. I'm going to be built like a brick s**t house in a few months.

STEVE71163

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 06:59:21 pm »
Hi Rob,
         They are better arent they :D You will soon get used to how heavy they are and you will be glad they are wood now the winter is nearly here ( A lot warmer to touch).

Steve