bazza106

School Gym Floor
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:45:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

Ive started a new job as a cleaning manager at a secoundery school.

Ive only done office, warehouse and health club cleaning for the last 5 years, this
easter ive been asked to do the best i can on the gym hall (indoor basketball court).
The old manger left on yesterday, without telling what has been used on the gym floor before.
I have noticed the only floor chemicals i saw was.....

CleanIT - Fragrant Multi-Surface Cleaner 5litre
Carefree Speed Stripper 5litre
plus some other Carefree floor stuff i think its No.2

Whats is the best way to clean the gym floor, its to late to order any more stock as finance is off for the 2 weeks holiday.
The floor is warn, but was ment to have been sanded and re sealed 2 years ago. You can tell its not been
looked after.

Excuse the spelling.

Jamie Pearson

Re: School Gym Floor
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:34:45 pm »
If the lacquer has worn through there isn't much you can do without and overcoat. What you have there isn't much good unfortunately.

bazza106

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:46:17 am »
If the lacquer has worn through there isn't much you can do without and overcoat. What you have there isn't much good unfortunately.

Thanks for your reply.
Now you have said that, i think i may have seen some of this
Carefree Eternum Floor Polish 5litre and im sure i saw some over coat, there is defo more carefree pruducts.

I will post on tuesday morning as soon as i get in, that way i can have a good nose around the cleaners lockups

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:41:19 am »
Carefree products are good however they can only overcoat sealed surfaces. Wood needs to be sealed with polyurethane not acrylics which is what the carefree product is.   seal the wood in the worn patches then apply the top coat to get an even finish.

bazza106

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:51 am »
Just got in and on my shelfs ive some
Renew TD
Daimond
Both are clover range.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
Diamond is an acrylic floor finish and the Renew is the maintainer for it.

Terry Guilford

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:33 pm »
Bazza,

We sand, seal, clean and maintain a good many sports halls and this is is a topic that deserves much more time than is ever given to it.

When sports floors and sanded and finished the product used is always slip resistant to BS and EN standards. Depending on usage this slip resistance will last a number of months before the manufacturer of the product ceases to be liable and whoever is responsible for the maintainence of the floor becomes liable. The reason for this is that body fat is deposited on the floor in the form of sweat when sports are performed, this body fat must be removed in order to maintain slip resistance and this should be done using a scrubber dryer or basic rotary and a wet vac to remove the slurry quickly. It is advisable to use a professional cleaning product such as Junckers Sylva Sports Cleaner,

Believe it or not, proper gym maintenance involves dusting  the floor daily (again to maintain slip resistance and stop scratching) with a golden magnet and basic wet mopping weekly, this rarely happens needless to say. In any case as Jamie says cheap acrylic seals must not be used on these floors and unless you want to be responsible for any accidents do your self a favour and DON'T DO IT! Sports floors are supposed to be cleaned, screened and re-lacquered at whatever time interval is necessary to stop them wearing through and maintained as above until such time as this process needs doing again.

Its funny how there is always enough money to build these facilities but never enough to maintain them!

Terry