Chris Small

non slip lino cleaning
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:21:01 pm »
Hi guys, I have a large hotel kitchen floor to clean which is that grey non slip lino. It's pretty manky so am hiring/buying a rotary.
Can someone give me some pointers on procedures, chemicals etc?
Thanks in advance

Chris Small

Jamie Pearson

Re: non slip lino cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »
A high alkaline product is best. Put down hot with good dwell time. Scrub with a medium grade pad. Vac. Rinse Vac.

The only exception being shower areas where an acidic product is better.

Denise l

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:43:09 am »
It probably altro flooring. Put Ubik 2000 in hot water and slosh with a mop, leave to dwell then scrub it with either a machine or deck scrubber. Then either wet vac it off or mop off, whichever method you prefer. I,ve used both.

Denise

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:43:36 am »
Ubik2000 is a high alkaline product.
If you use this just be sure to give it a good rinse, it has quite a sticky residue.

If you are in a hard water area you may wish to consider an acid product to remove scale build up.

I would take both to site and do a small sample before you proceed.

They key to either product is dwell and agitation as Denise mentioned.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:58 pm »
Hi guys, I have a large hotel kitchen floor to clean which is that grey non slip lino. It's pretty manky so am hiring/buying a rotary.
Can someone give me some pointers on procedures, chemicals etc?
Thanks in advance

Chris Small

Hi Chris,

This is a link to a video showing how to deep clean and maintain anti slip/safety floors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2D2aXC5Fms

We developed this system after many years of using high alkaline floor cleaners to do the exact same job. We found over the years that in actual fact the high alkaline floor cleaners caused detrimental damage to the safety floors in that they were becoming chemically burned. You will see a yellow residue on many safety floors which is a direct result of this.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »
The yellow residue is from oils contained in some cleaners such as Pine/Lemon Gel cleaners.
As the vinyl is unsealed these residues bond to the floor and oxidise.
Removal of this yellowing is impossible.
Unfortunately degreasers and hard surface cleaners are often the first choice for this type of flooring along with mopping which gives incomplete results.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:40 pm »
Hi Guys

In the past i would of agreed with you on lemon/pine gel cleaners causing the yellowing
on safety floors,and yes you are right its impossible to remove this yellow staining.
but we looked at this problem in many facilities and in all cases the contract cleaners or
janitors were using heavy duty kitchen degreasers, i might add we were making the same
mistake ourselves for many years but never understood why this yellow staining was appearing on the safety floors after awhile, It was on a trip to the USA where we were
introduced to colloidal micelles technology one of this centurys most promising advances
in environmental science,we explained the problems we were having in deep cleaning
safety floors and the chemist there with over 30 years knowledge producing safer cleaning
solutions explained to us the damage that high alkaline based floor cleaners can cause to
hard floors, such as they are so corrosive that they can just grind soils into the subtrate or
in the case of safety floors they can chemically burn them over time and thats what causes the yellow staining which can never be removed. he did tell us never to use a floor cleaner
which has a ph value of between 11 to 14 because these high alkaline based floor cleaners
are the ones causing detrimental damage to floors right across the industry.
We took his word on this and ordered some of their heavy duty degreaser which is plant
derived and has a ph value of 8.7  i can genuinely say that we have never had a problem
with using their product and we will never use high alkaline based floor cleaners again for
deep cleaning hard floors or safety floors. Now as you will see from the live video we posted
we used the heavy duty degreaser based on micelles technology in combination with microcleaning mop pads and when you bring these two technologies together as you can see the results speak for themselves.I hope this information can be of benefit, as again i can say genuinely we have introduced this new concept in deep cleaning hard floors and safety floors to many contractors and the response from all of them has been just amazing.

Kind regards

Tadgh

Chris Small

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 08:36:42 pm »
Thanks for the tips folks, all kitted out and ready to go tomorrow

Chris ;D