Richy L

chewing gum removal - hot washer
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:13:51 pm »
Im thinking of getting a hot box for my pressure washer, but concidering getting a steamer.
What would you guys reccomend for removing chewing gum?

I also remove paint with a cold washer at the mo, but i was thinking i could use this also.

Do you think I should buy a hot box add-on (£1,000ish) or a steamer(£1,000ish)?

gutterman

Re: chewing gum removal - hot washer
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:09:28 pm »
Chewing gum removal is best done hot
I  have a hot box which converts my cold p/w and i also have an osprey deep clean system,
both systems work, the osprey uses a lot less water.

Dependant upon the customers remit - then either use both or one or the other.
Follow up with a flat surface clean.
Have a few jobs on the cards- with a view to sealing surface after to prevent staining and improve clean up process during normal year round cleansing.
If i had the cash would invest in a recycling machine from Tensid, but at 34k is way out of my league.
Hot box £600 and makes the job easier

Richy L

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:48:38 pm »
where can you get a hot box for £600? do you have a link?

With a hot washer how long will it take to remove 1 piece of gum?

Does it take a while for the water to heat up?

How hot do I need to get the water for chewing gum removal?

Sorry about all the questions...  :)
Thanks

gutterman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:52:46 pm »
google -taybur pressure washers bury lancs- the hot box is very basic build no thrills 
Basically a coil on a frame BOLTED INTO VAN with a control switch -fuel is suppled via 25 litre drum into which you insert fuel line which is pumped to electrodes
- the water heats up almost instantly -
90-100 degrees or more and you will have no problem shifting gum.
The higher the temp the more the water converts to steam, tends to destroy o rings in quick release fittings. Need a small generator to power fuel pump,

Richy L

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 01:25:08 pm »
is 80 degrees hot enough to remove gum or do i need hotter?

Ive decided i will hire one for my first job but I dont know which one i should be getting.

there is this one:
http://www.jewson.co.uk/en/templates/toolhire/templateA.jsp?pageType=Product&itemId=prod450278
or this one
http://www.hss.com/g/59311/Super-Hot-Washer-110v.html

Any suggestions?

trevor perry

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:40 pm »
 i would go with the karcher it goes to a higher temperature wich makes the gum removal much easier, you can also alter the pressure so if moving gum of tarmac the pressure can be lowered so as not to do any damage to surface, it will only be good for the gum removal part of job as not powerful enough to run a fsc from so the rest of cleaning do with your cold wash as it will have more power.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Richy L

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 10:38:45 am »
ive had to go for the lower temp one as the other one wont be available for 2 weeks.
this'll be a nice job to start on i hope - about 200 pieces.

Price wise, how much is the going rate for aboutr 200 pieces over about 40Mtrs?  (on tarmac)

BDCS

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 11:00:54 am »
When removing gum from tarmac don't clean it afterwards or you will expose more gum. Clean it first then count the pieces or keep the fsc in the van.

Richy L

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 01:48:45 pm »
When removing gum from tarmac don't clean it afterwards or you will expose more gum. Clean it first then count the pieces or keep the fsc in the van.

When you say count the pieces what do you mean?

BDCS

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:46:20 pm »
You stated in your earlier pos that there was 200 pieces of gum - the point I'm making is that the older pieces of gum will be "black top" ie the same colour as the tarmac. You will find more gum after you clean with the fsc

Richy L

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 06:56:57 pm »
i see.
So how much could you do in a day normally?

If I buy a hot box then, I dont need to reclean the same area because I can do it all in one go. It seems like buying a hot box eventually would be the best option.

BDCS

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:21:37 pm »
I have an osprey steam machine and its slow - up to 15 secs per piece but you can work it in a crowded area, 20 ltrs of water will last all day but you have to have at least a 3 kva generator or an electric supply but then you have the problem of trailing leads.
I have been pressure washing for almost 7 years and am only just now buying a hot box. I have cleaned all sorts with just the cold - grafitti you use a lot more chemicals which are expensive but as time goes on you are always looking to improve your service and the hot is another string to the bow.
Flags and blocks I'd say yes clean it after removing the gum but when you clean tarmac you will uncover as much as you have just removed, if you clean tarmac then estimate this into the price. If your using hot then you will need to work out of hours or barrier off large sections and then theres the problem of water supply. Have you decieded where you'd get the hot box from yet ?

Richy L

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 10:46:48 pm »
There's a local supplier to me, he can get me a volcano lavor hotbox for about 1k, or he can get someone to custom build a static system which stays in the van for £650 (all prices plus VAT).
I'll still not sure what to do. Im hiring a washer on monday that reaches 80 degrees, but the ones i can buy will reach 150ish. So it makes sence to buy one, only if i get enough work.

Does it speed up graffiti removal then or do a better job on old graffiti?

I've been pressure washing straight from school so about 9 years or so and cold has always been fine. Is gum removal the only reason to get a hotbox?

BDCS

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 07:27:10 am »
Gum would be my last reason for the hotbox as I've never had a specific gum job only paving with gum included - I have the steamer just in case. Heat will make the grafitti considerably easier and save money on chemicals and also make those stubborn black lichen come off easier. I've opted for a brayton engineering box - only because their a British firm as most of the coils are based the same, exchange eng will sell you an un- built kit also.
 The pressure boxes take is usually 200 bar which is unloader pressure and you just knock the revs off a bit but to see much over 80 degrees you have to keep the flow down anyway.

Rob_Mac

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 06:43:53 pm »
I've got a hotbox on order for when i come back off holiday, cracking bit of kit. They gave me a demo, I don't need it but I am buying it to see if there is an edge to heat before I invest further.

I also have a twin operator chewing gum machine and a single operator unit. I used the single operator unit last Sunday & Monday on a store front at Dartford - Kent.

I cleaned about 120 metres by 4 metres, just less than 500 m2 in a 8 hour day of heavily soiled slab. By heavily soiled I mean an average of about 25 pieces per metre. I was absolutely belting it out, completely knackered by the end.

The chewing gum removal machines I have have a lance, trigger for chemical & a brass brush to agitate the pats.

Chewing gum is hard work to remove and I am not confident that you can just remove gum by heat alone. I will let you know when I get my hotbox but I would not have wanted to tackle the job I had to do without steam @ 180 Celsius, chemical & brush to agitate.

Rob ;D

joe.b

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 08:29:17 pm »
Hey Rob, how much has that gothic cost you?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 08:33:19 pm »
Joe

Gothic???

Rob ;D

joe.b

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »
Sorry Rob, im on a new phone that's got a stupid predictive text, hotbox I meant

Rob_Mac

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 08:52:31 pm »
Britclean - I think it is £750.00 - not sure if that is inclusive or not. On four wheels, looks a tidy bit of kit and from the demo that Julian gave me a couple of weeks ago, it does what it says on the tin!!!

Rob ;D

joe.b

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 08:56:43 pm »
Good good, seems an ok price, how you getting on with that airport job?