garyfindlay

Re: Where's the work gone
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »
Always the optimist Joe, or is it the realist ;D

carpet_care

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 08:00:37 pm »
Cheeky bugger paul  ;) ;D 16 years for me now oh what joy its been ::)

Andy Locke.

sherco

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 08:05:55 pm »
Got four bathroom to tile so im sorted for a couple of weeks, but floor cleaning a bit slow due to the weather.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

Colin Day

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:16 pm »
Build your business up and £32k a year in another cold country won't look as appealing especially when they cancel the contract after 18 months or so and you try starting your cleaning company again you'll have spent your money and then go back to day 1 again earning nowt.

Shaun

I posted something last year after I was offered another job (Aircraft Technician) and all the guys on CIU told me to forget it back then. It was a tongue in cheek statement because I'm determined to stick at it and make it a success!!!!!

paul moss

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:33 pm »

Andy Locke.

Billy told me it was only 16 months. :D

carpet_care

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 08:32:29 pm »
No paul you got mixed up its 16 months since Billy stopped batting for the other side :P :-*

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 08:48:10 pm »
Good steady stream of enquiries coming in  and being converted; and between me and the client agreeing that I would phone back once the thaw had set in to sort out a mutually acceptable date. It obviously makes sense if i take responsibility for ringing back-that way it'll actually happen.

Did a minger yesterday on Sunday. Big Victorian semi: the attic carpets hadn't been cleaned for absolutely ages. So long since i wielded a wand I thought I'd forgotten how to use it. I kept thinking "I hope this guy knows what he's doing!"

And I felt so tired all the time. I felt just like I did when I was being forced to do homework at school. I would try and think of anything else to do. No real incentive to finish. Still the lady of the house seemed absolutely thrilled. But the payment for the job was virtually nothing. Wondered why I ever agreed to do the job on a Sunday and wished I'd never started it.

But that's how it is when you come to clean your own carpets ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

paul moss

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »

Andy Locke.

Billy told me it was only 16 months. :D
Andy, Billy  has only just got back from Cuba, but with moving house he is not on the internet till 11th Jan.
So I have just put all his gear up for sale on Truckmounters ;D Get over there and make a bid. ;)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:15:28 pm »
The work will come in, we've booked in 4 jobs today, only one was carpets though, others were two leather jobs and a flood job. 

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 09:19:07 pm »
Roger, as always, you are a ray of sunshine.

richie

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »
Commercial work is none stop.  2 of us were due to go to swansea today to clean night club carpets.....6am just about to set off & the phone rang.  I ended up going to Swansea on my own whilst Chris went to London.  Domestics are dead though.

Richie.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 09:30:08 pm »
Hi Guys

I too have picked up a couple of nice City jobs but domestic is quiet although at least I can get out again.

You have to be realistic, it's January, it's cold, there's snow everywhere, not many are going to want their lounge carpet cleaning BUT on the bright side think of all that muck thats being walked in, roll on the good times!

Cheers

Doug

robert meldrum

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »
I was in my Bank a couple of days ago and the carpets were filthy with the salt / grit being walked in. I mentioned they'd need cleaning as soon as the weather improved and have been asked to give a price for the work.

There must be loads of buildings in a similar state.

Get round and about and sell your service before they get their " cleaner " to have a go.

Might be a good time to look at the possibility of supplying - with maintenance cleaning - entrance walk off mats.

Roger Koh

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 02:36:13 am »
When the weather reaches the coldest, it is also the right time to "snow clean" your orientals traditionally.

Roger Koh
Master Textile Cleaner - IICRC #942

clinton

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:34 am »
Things will pick up next week when the snow all goes.

Guess its going to be cleaning all the slush thats been troden in over these last few weeks.

Mike_Roper

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 10:53:41 am »
Robert made a good observation that I have noticed in public buildings- walkways white with walked in salt from gritting.
In readiness whats the best way to clean this ?
What products would you use / avoid?
Mike

carpetworx

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »
Don't any of you guys do schools this time of year?

Colin Day

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »
Don't any of you guys do schools this time of year?

No, usually Summer time for me!!!

carpetworx

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:25 pm »
Well it's summer here too, but some also get us in at winter hols for a spruce up i.e staff rooms and admin areas etc.

Give them a call, you never know. ;)

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 02:53:23 pm »
Before Christmas I got a burgundy red leather three piece suite to re-spray and rejuvenate. I took the two arm chairs away first and left them with the two seater to sit on while I got on with the chairs in my workshop.

Returned the two chairs just before Christmas and collected the two seater to do over Christmas. Didn’t touch it over Christmas but realised I needed to pull my finger out today and get it sorted and delivered this week.
Got the existing bottle of red from the cupboard this morning and was surprised to find more paint in it than expected!
Got on with the job and couldn't help thinking the paint looked a little brighter than normal, but realised that it would darken as it dried as it normally does........... It didn't.

Looked at bottle - AB 3 (Antique Base 3)! >:( Had sprayed the whole thing with the wrong red!
Found the original burgundy paint bottle in workshop which was virtually empty. ::)

Re-ordered paint now, stripped all my hard work off the sofa ready for another attempt on Thursday!

Regards
Peter