Where's the work gone
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:37 pm »
Come on let's be honest with each other, how many others are wondering where has all the work gone?
Even allowing for the snow element, my web hits continue at an average of 60 per day (on the main site only) but for weeks there hasn't even been a speculative e-mail about 'How much would it cost for.....'
Today over 100 letters went out to previous customers which should give some return but the new business is stone dead.
I've even managed to saturate the front page of Carpet Cleaning Basingstoke with 5 sites on the first page, 2 of the sites are on adwords and I have top spot on the google maps element.

fresh

Re: Where's the work gone
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 06:16:57 pm »
same dead at min

Henry Roberts

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 06:23:10 pm »
Also dead for me here in West Wales other that a few Bursts. No carpet cleaning ???
Can only think that custys are waiting for better weather??
Henry

Jim_77

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »
Don't worry mate, it'll turn around.  We've all been through it before and it always comes good.  That's the great thing about dirt, it is our lifeblood and will always be with us :)

It is frightening though, you just have to keep the faith and keep the marketing going.  This spring could be very busy ;)

Ian Rochester

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:24:40 pm »
Think, would you be looking to get your carpets cleaned when the weather is like this outside?

fresh

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:34:17 pm »
fingers crossed  ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
Well on the plus side, I took over the kitchen this afternoon and put together all the bits and pieces to create my auto dump box. Testing happens tomorrow when all the sealants and glues have set.
So all I need now is a quick thaw and some flood jobs and I'll be laughing.

But yes I can fully understand with all the gardens and paths etc still under inches of snow, the last thing on peoples minds is "I'd best get the carpets cleaned."

carpet_care

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
You wont get many people getting carpets cleaned in this weather its a fact.  

I finished early today and said to the wife I will clean ours while its quite to which she replied calnt you wait until the snow has cleared .

Most people will be of the same mindset unless its an emergency , I for one have taken 75% less than the start of january last year and know it is down to the weather.

Luckily I had my best November / December ever so not panacking.

Regards Andy Locke.

JandS

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:51:52 pm »
Full day tomorrow and half day Wednesday and that's it till next Monday.
First job of year wasn't till Saturday and was a pain, they hadn't moved
a flake of snow from their path since it started.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Colin Day

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »
I've got last weeks work to do this week then that's it.... But they're all jobs for friends and family!

A £32k job in the Falklands is looking attractive all of a sudden, but like Jim says, it all comes good in the end!!!!

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »
I've got last weeks work to do this week then that's it.... But they're all jobs for friends and family!

A £32k job in the Falklands is looking attractive all of a sudden, but like Jim says, it all comes good in the end!!!!

Blimey Colin, thats one big carpet or a helluv an oven  ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »
Build your business up and £32k a year in another cold country won't look as appealing especially when they cancel the contract after 18 months or so and you try starting your cleaning company again you'll have spent your money and then go back to day 1 again earning nowt.

Shaun

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:54 pm »
I completely agree with Andy, You won't get much in these conditions but what should follow is relative rush.

Just think of the state alot of people's carpets will be in.

Get your accounts up to date, do some mailers, make some calls, organise your office, service your equipment etc etc. thats what I've been doing (oh and sorting out something else that someone reminded me about)

Pete

D Ingram

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 07:10:07 pm »
I was thinking of taking up mugging but with all this snow about I'm bound to slip over and brake a bone or two :'(
Dave Ingram

paul moss

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 07:14:04 pm »
You wont get many people getting carpets cleaned in this weather its a fact.  

I finished early today and said to the wife I will clean ours while its quite to which she replied calnt you wait until the snow has cleared .

Most people will be of the same mindset unless its an emergency , I for one have taken 75% less than the start of january last year and know it is down to the weather.

Luckily I had my best November / December ever so not panacking.

Regards Andy Locke.

Andy thats not bad in your second year of trading. ;D

paul moss

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 07:14:55 pm »
 (oh and sorting out something else that someone reminded me about)

Pete, its getting boring now.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 07:16:33 pm »
Dave they probably follow your foot prints to your home.

Shaun

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »
Credit card bills for a lot of people end of the month, paying for christmas, weather crap
I find january always a bit slow come feb things start to pick up until the kids break up for 6 weeks and then people start to think holiday thats how it goes for me most years
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

garyfindlay

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
I`ve had a couple of calls cancelling jobs, with the reason being "not much point cleaning carpets in this weather". Hopefully with all the slush gone it will make people want to get cleaning top of their priorities.

Joe H

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:34:34 pm »
Whilst we have been sat around last week stuck in with no pay, so have many potential clients been stuck in and many probably with no pay. That may affect thiings at the end of the day - I wonder.