richie

Re: industry standards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 04:04:32 am »
It is not all about PSI that the machine gives.  A key factor is what the GPH of the pump is.  Set a portable at 100PSI and run it next to a TM set at 100PSI.  Look at the difference (HUGE), the water pressure on the TM will be alot stronger. This is all due to the fact that the TM is producing a much higher GPH compared to the portable.

Richie.

Dynafoam

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 05:22:16 pm »
Richie,

The scenario you paint is often the situation, however not all portables are equal.

With a Flojet 100psi pump the flow-rate is so low that once the trigger valve is opened the pressure will drop to <80psi (dependant upon jetting). With a better pump, however this does not apply. The pumps fitted to my portables have a flow-rate >2gpm, so with normal jetting can sustain both pressure and flow up to 350psi, which is a higher pressure than I normally use.

Barry Pearce

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2005, 07:30:34 pm »
Lee,
I was called in some time ago to inspect and quote  for the repair of split and worn seams in an M&S store, both  the general and district area managers who was there also asked me my oppinion on the cleanlyness of the carpet which had just been cleaned by a TM operator, I thought it was a poor overal  job and to proove a point they selected a one square metre area and I pre-vaced, pre-sprayed and rotorvated, and extracted with a low acid rinse using one of their own vax machines and an upholstory tool, it looked as if I had inserted a one square metre brand new carpet, its not the machine thats in question , it has to be the method, I prefer to work up to a standard not down to a price.
Barry

darrenlee

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 12:47:06 am »
may sound a bit thick here
but cant see how a truck mount is so much faster than portable
u still have to set up
u still need water, so u fill at home, hose pipe ?
how longs that take.
access to property, have to park at distance from job
and start running houses in. part of your hose in a puddle or gravel, getting dirty, next job closer to property bedroom, u now running yer dirty hose, over nice ladys cream stairs carpet.
from getting my porti out van and set up to start any room in home 10 to 15 mins clean average room say 4m x 4m 45mins
pack up 10 to 15 mins total 1hr 15 mins .
before get asked pre - sprayed rinsed ect , dont vac ask customer when qoute. price on average £28 to £35 depending location ect.
not slating truck mounts they have there place, post on this topic that 3 to 4 years porti no longer used cant see it.
commercial work yes probably expect truck mount, and i would say far better tool for the job.
but your average guy wanting to earn £25000 a year for 30 to 35 hours work a week. porti , training , experience, everytime

Mike Halliday

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 07:23:00 am »
wether you fill up at the sink for your portable, or fill up your tank at home, both take time so you could say things are equal.

but...

when you fill up your bucket, you have to stand thier and watch it, when I fill my tank I leave it and do other things.

darren, if I want to earn £2500 I'll go work for Asda, I don't know any carpet cleaner who'd be happy with this amount (apart from begginers)

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Barry Pearce

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 08:44:40 am »
Darran
you do yourself a diservice, most questions asked are those that most people  have thought about but are to embarrassed to ask it themselves.
Barry

darrenlee

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 12:04:41 pm »
mike i said £25000 a year for 30 hrs equals about £16 per hour
what asda do u work at then.
did not know they paid that well  ;D
and i am not a newbie to cleaning just internet .
been cleaning over 16 years and my father before me.
and have  not said what i earn, just the average guy in my opinion would be happy with above.
many thanks darren

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2005, 12:42:32 pm »
Darren

The T/M time saving advantages when cleaning a typical lounge are negligable, if any at all. If you were to clean a houseful of carpets, the time saving would improve but, IMO, not justify the capial outlay. However, when you get beyond the typical, just grubby, residential carpet and start getting high soil levels, trashed carpets, restaurants and licensed premises with all the associated issues, then a T/M will excell, perform the job much, much quicker and in many cases to a higher standard than your typical porty would achieve in just one visit.

In the real world, dirty hoses aren't an issue in the home. A couple of lengths of hose are reserved for use indoors and never touch the drive/pathway.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Mike Halliday

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005, 01:28:56 pm »
Darren, I know a nightstaff worker at asda who earns over 25k a year,  (perhaps not £16 an hour but he has some great bonuses & benefits)

you must have a low opinion of your fellow carpet cleaners to think they would be happy with 25k, most of the ones I ever meet are gready gits who all aim for over 60k ;D ;D

I use a T/M and it is quicker even on domestics, but then I don't pre-test, pre-vac or any other off those fancy things, jus go in with the pipes blast out the dirt and do an average living room 20x14 in 15 mins @ £65ish I can arrive and be away in 30mins if I want, but I always try and empty the biscuit barrel before leaving ;)

Mike

Chris Bailey

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2005, 01:54:16 pm »
As a 100psi boy, with a 9mth old steampro, I am able to get very good results in my work.

I'm not saying I shouldn't have more power, but I'm not willing to change my porty after only 9mths!!

The point I make is that yes, we should keep up with technology but as John states, if the operator works well, i.e. within the cleaning pie, excellent results can be acheived with less power.

Never had a complaint or a call back yet ;)

Chris

Carpet Care

Leicester

darrenlee

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 02:08:26 pm »
mike
u not listening to the point i am making.
well a would not be a happy customer if you flew in and out my home in 15 mins for £65, even if job looked okay.
we can all clean quick, but u have to let the customer think there getting value for money.
like i have said truck mounts have there place, and for me thats
commercial.
the cost of truck mount and van £25000 to £30000 no wonder u charge £65.
how many days do u have  to work to pay for that  ;D
be serious 30hours work for £25000 profit 60% nation would be happy with that, also have to look at quality of life, u would be getting.

darren

Martin S

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 03:22:14 pm »
Never thought i'd see Mike own up to being ''splash & dash''!!!  ;D ;D

Martin
Martin

Mike Halliday

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 03:42:38 pm »
I was only joking ::) ::) I don't really take 15mins more like 17 ;D ;D

darren,  you say you would'nt pay me £65 for 15mins work, thats why I don't want you as a customer, what if your wife spilled some nail varnish on a new bedroom carpet would you pay me £65 to remove it?  what if it only took me 15mins would you refuse to pay me?

you believe 'average' carpet cleaner would be happy earning £25,000, looks like I'm not 'average' 8)

Mike

Mike Halliday

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 03:46:37 pm »
forgot to mention ;D ;D

a £30,000 truckmount & van package would cost me 3.5 hours a week to pay for over a 5 year lease period

Mike

Barry Pearce

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 03:56:57 pm »
With Mike`s splash & dash attitude, you can understand why certain aspects  and individuals  within the trade are always frowed upon and the terms rogue traders and cowboys sort of comes to mind
Barry

darrenlee

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2005, 03:58:20 pm »
mike
14jobs @ 15min sorry 17 min a job x £65 equals £910 a week towards a truckmount i really dont want one  ;D

darrenlee

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 04:03:02 pm »
as for wife & nail varnish, be a little hard as he does not where nail varnish. ;)
darren

Mike Halliday

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 04:09:34 pm »
 I DON'T REALLY DO A LIVING ROOM IN 15MINS, IT WAS A JOKE!!!

some people have no sense of humour :) :)

darren I hope you're as good at carpet cleaning as your are at math ;)

Mike

ps are you saying you're a woman or a gay man?

*paul_moss

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2005, 04:10:25 pm »
Mike
My missus says your in and out of our house  in only 10 mins,job done ;D

Paul
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Mike Halliday

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2005, 04:15:29 pm »
yes I am, but only because she's so ugly if i look at her for any longer that 10mins I'm violently sick ;D ;D

Mike

ps; I also  hear your mammas so fat, when she lays face down on the bed she burns her bum on the lightbulb :D