Griffus

Advice / Opinions Please
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:15:27 pm »
Carpet cleaning is a recent add on to our business and so I am still very much in the learning stage.

I am writing to request advice / opinions on unusual (in my limited experience) staining that I encountered earlier today.

I have already cleaned this carpet and I thought the marks had gone but after looking at some pictures taken afterwards I am not so sure.

The customer is a friend and was not charged for the job but for my own peace of mind I need to know.

The marks appeared to be grey almost metallic in appearance. I did ask if the underlay was as new as the carpet as I have heard about old underlay wicking up through newer carpet but the underlay is the same age as the carpet (three years or so). The carpet is synthetic (polyprop as far as I could tell, burn test results and it floats).

The worst of the marks were in high traffic areas, doorway and in front of settees, but too spotlike in appearance to be that simple (again in my opinion).

I asked about foot creams and spillages was told no to both.

If anyone can advise on what the stains are and how to approach for future reference I would be most grateful.

p.s. just to add that I vacuumed thoroughly, pre-tested prespay, presprayed with Prochem Multi Pro at 1:4, agitated, more so in the affected areas and then extracted with Prochem Fibre and Fabric Rinse (1:20) in the tank. On site all loked well but pictures left me in doubt.

p.p.s. the two pictures added are taken before the clean. They just about show the staining.

The Great One

Re: Advice / Opinions Please
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:36:39 pm »
Hi Ian

By the looks of the pictures it looks like wear & tear and crushed carpet which has occurred by simply being walked upon.

You can see the original pile that has been untouched under the sofa.

Regards

Martin 8)

Griffus

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 04:58:21 pm »
Hi Martin

Thanks for your reply.

The pictures do not show the marks to be as bad as they were. So much for the camera never lies!

There was a lot of crushed pile in the walkways and in front of the settes and my friend knew these would not be rectified. The marks were something different. As I said, they were greyish in appearance.

Just spoke to my friend who is very happy with the clean (which is reassuring). She tells me that all but a couple of the marks have gone and these are now very faint.

I would love to know what they were though and what you experienced guys would have done to identify.

derek west

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:01:49 pm »
sun bleaching and foot rub wear in front of settee, could try a M/S with a long dwell time after agitation on the foot wear to be sure but other than that, can't see nothing wrong.
derek

Dave_Lee

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »
Looks fine to me. These Polyprops do discolour easier than others in heavy wear areas and you are never going to bring the original colour back. Its clean but discoloured. Permanent stains whether the size of a pea or a dinner plate always look bad when still damp but often almost disapear when dry.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »
The photo doesn't do any justice I'd guess that the dye has come out and left the 'filament' colour ie whitish as this is the base before it's dyed. If it is this nothing will bring it back and it is a wear issue, if it was greasy oily dirt I would use with ultrapak renovate.

Shaun 

Griffus

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:23:56 pm »
Hi all and many thanks for your reply's.

I guess I just need to continue to get as much experience as possible and learning as much from every job.

Derek, if I am asked to clean this same carpet again then I will try your suggestion. At this point in time I am solely using Prochem with a couple of Chemspec products being considered. I think when I am fully proficient with these then I'll look to try out microsplitters.

Thanks again

Ian

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:37:20 pm »
Ian
I wouldnt bother with microsplitters, nothing wrong with Prochem or Chemspec, IMO,just need more practice.
Regards

Daryl

Griffus

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:56 pm »
OK Daryl thanks.

Onwards and Upwards.

Another job tomorrow; Dining Room, Hall and Stairs. Two different types of carpet so looking forward to it.

All the best

Ian

derek west

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 07:53:05 am »
certain things come out with microsplitters that detergents can't get out, don't be affraid of M/S's, there a god send in my opinion.
but they take a lot of getting used too which some people haven't got the patience with them.
daryl

John Kelly

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:12:30 am »
It looks a simple case of post clean spotting being required. Sometimes your clean doesn't get all the marks out and you then have to spot the individual stains with an appropriate product, then rinse again.

Derek_Walker

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 09:11:43 am »
Have they used any high foaming products to try and remove spots etc? if so then it may be that the foam is still in the carpet which leaves it a slightly lighter colour. Another problem with these type of carpets is carpet burn, this happens when furniture is dragged over the pile causing it to melt, it would normally be a line rather than a spot. Apart from that, what John said.

Griffus

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 04:23:40 pm »
Hi Guys and thanks for the replys.

Derek; I will almost certainly try microsplitters in the future. I think I better master what I already have for the moment.

John; I think you're right. Similar situaution today where a couple of spots remained after cleaning. Came up easily with a dab or two of Stain Pro. Although yesterdays carpet was much worse to start with I am now told that all but a couple of spots are completely gone. I may pop back round and take a look at the faint spots that remain and try the same as today.

Derek; They have never tried cleaning themselves but good advice for future jobs. I don't think the marks were friction related as you say the marks were spots rather than lines.

Thanks again guys.

Ian