Russell Baillie

Advertising help
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:49:49 pm »
Hi guys,

This site has been a great help to me, thanks for all those who contribute.

Can i ask what is peoples main means of getting business?

i have been leaflet dropping for the last year putting out thousands of leaflets, my returns have been quite good generally generating one or two jobs per houndred but i recently put out over 2000 leaflets and havn't had one lousy call :(

so .... what methods and means do you use to advertise, excluding word of mouth and what sort of response do you get?

i'm looking for about 30 jobs a month if that is at all possible?

thanks
russell

derek west

Re: Advertising help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »
russel
i'm new to the business but have quickly realised that no advertisig really works well in january, this is the time where most rely on repeats and referals.
looks like january is a time for marketing your database. i'm hoping mid february and early march will get back to normal and leaflets and other forms of ads will work just as well as usual taking into consideration the down turn though.
just my thoughts.
get ready for a mixed bag of advice.
which is a good thing as it will give you lots of ideas.
derek

JandS

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:26:29 pm »
Do people really get that many repeats and referrals.
I've had a few butnot the amount some claim on here.
Best scource of work for me last year was local, paid for ads in 5 local papers with approx 70,000 readership.

John

Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Russell Baillie

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:39:54 pm »
thanks guys,

when you say readership of 70000 is that the total between the five papers? roughly how many jobs were you pulling in with that?

its something i havn't tried yet as our advertising rates are quite expensive for what you get in return!

but... if i were to be pulling in the jobs i really wouldn't mind!!!

thanks
Russell

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:59 pm »
Russel, I cannot commit to give you advice on what you should do, but I can definately say that one thing you shouldn't do, and that is advertise through "Thomsons Directory"! It's just a way of throwing your money in the bin..... Yellow pages is only fractionally better!

clinton

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:40:09 pm »
Russel

Most of my work is repeats and rec,s and had two new clients this morning from yell.com,think till march and april you will find its slow if your starting off in c cleaning ???

Russell Baillie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:51:27 pm »
ive been doing this part time for a year and a bit but was looking to go full time this year. ive only ever had word of mouth and leafleting as my form of advertising and was wondering what works for you guys?

i'm looking to do a steady 30 jobs a month and basically wated to know what is most likely to produce this.

i've tried the yelow pages and i know what you mean

dave123

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:56:29 pm »
Ha Ha Colin get your penny's worth in .I totally agree with what Colin says I've had just two jobs out of YP since the new book came out ,not had anything from yell.com as yet .Come june/July they will be trying to get me to pay out again ,not anymore ,I'll just tell them where to stick it .Going to stick with leaflets and reminders.Have my fair share of recomondations and regulars though ,which helps .With new customers I  send them a letter after about 2 days to thank them and ask if everything was ok and if so whether they have any new furnishings they wish to be protected or any friends or relatives who may wish to have their furnishings cleaned .It works for me and all it costs is a stamp .

derek west

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 03:27:55 pm »
dave
do you put any referal type offers on the letter?
derek

neil 47

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 03:28:52 pm »
Colin  

I had a look on thompsons to see what no you came up and I cant find you on it ,mabye thats why you arnt getting many calls,as most pepole look online first .

I had a ad with a local directory for a couple off years got 2 jobs dropped it to just a free listing and got 5-6 :-\

Neil
IICRC

pete sween

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:52:05 pm »
Geographics play a huge part in what works and what Does'nt Russell. Where are you based.

Pete

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:57:38 pm »
Colin  

I had a look on thompsons to see what no you came up and I cant find you on it ,mabye thats why you arnt getting many calls,as most pepole look online first .

I had a ad with a local directory for a couple off years got 2 jobs dropped it to just a free listing and got 5-6 :-\

Neil

It's only in the book Neil, I do have a web site and I use ad words but to be honest I'm biding my time and once YP and TD are no more, I'll plough money into a better web site and hosting.... "Proper job!"

Robert Watson

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 05:21:01 pm »
How long does it take to deliver 1,000 leaflets, 4 hours or about?
What if you spent that time going out and personally speak to local businesses?.
I guarantee you I`ll pull much more work and a bigger ticket price.
As Pete says geographics can play its part.
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

Robert Watson

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 05:31:30 pm »
Hi Colin, Just Googled your location.
The coastline looks very nice. I bet your fuel bill is hefty.
Cheers
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

derek west

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 05:36:02 pm »
rabby
8 hours in cheshire for 1k leaflets.
not sure i could door knock, even on businesses. need a good opener i suppose.
"is the manager in? could i leave you one of these(business card and leaflet), we do free estimates if you like, i could do one now for you, no obligation of course, if you like the price we could clean a small room so you can see how good we are"
something along these lines maybe????
derek

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:45:51 pm »
Hi Colin, Just Googled your location.
The coastline looks very nice. I bet your fuel bill is hefty.
Cheers
Rab.

Depends on what car I'm driving.... the van's brilliant on fuel.... But then maybe I'm comparing it to the gas guzzling disco...
It's worth it though, the quality of life down here is fantastic....!

Regards, Colin...

carpet_care

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »
Jands once you have been going at least 3 years then yes most your business should be coming from repeats and referals and I hate to say it but if this is not the case I am afraid you are doing something wrong.

For me at the moment If it wasnt for my repeats and referals the job would be garbage .

As the year goes on I tend to average about 4 jobs a day typically of that 4 jobs , 2 of them would be repeats 1 recomendation and one from advertising

I would hate to be starting from scratch in the current climate.

Andy Locke.         Ps Jands that answer is not directed at you personally I dont know your situation or years of experience just answering your question in general ;)

Robert Watson

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 06:10:05 pm »
Hi Derek, It`s about being in the right place at the right time, call it luck.
But, it`s funny how the harder you work the luckier you get.
You don't have to give a big presentation, just dress smart, big smile and introduce yourself.
You could do much more, get contact name, send letter, follow up call.
The hardest part is getting your ass out there. Don`t make a big deal of it in your head.
Just do it.

Must get down there sometime with my wee boat Colin.

Face the FEAR  ;D
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 06:19:17 pm »
Spot on there Rab. Leafleting in the snow is a lot easier than picking up the phone for most. Those that can force themselves to do it are at a distinct advantage.

clinton

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 06:26:42 pm »
Andy

Do you do the leaflet drops?

Or web site ???

cheers clinton