will_turton

When is a portable classed as a truckmount
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:02:51 pm »
As above
When  would you class a portable as a truckmount or van mount??

john martin

Re: When is a portable classed as a truckmount
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:30:46 pm »
I dont think there is any defination , you just stick a portable in the van and thats it . Some might do it better with onboard tanks or even heat systems .
If your asking when does a portable perform as good as a truckmount ... you really need four vacs for that  :)

tim handley

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:56:32 pm »
I class mine as a van mounted machine........ it never leaves the van, i will drive away from a job if i cannot do it without removing it from the van!   Do i class it as being in the same leaugue as a truckmount? nah, never in a million years.......

JandS

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 06:14:55 pm »
Find it strange that you would drive away rather than remove your "portable" to do a job.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

tim handley

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 08:41:52 am »
Thats how i roll!!!!! ;D

JandS

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 11:00:58 am »
Not utilising the vac power to their fullest leaving it on van.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

tim handley

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 02:28:11 pm »
If im parked 7/8 foot from the door is it really going to make that much difference??   Judging by the results im getting it doesnt seem to be an issue mate to be honest....  i ran 100 foot from my van into a large rectory today, no problem at all........
suppose it depends on what machine you are using???      Anyway, it suits me and my way of doing things.........

Glynn

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 02:48:55 pm »
"When is a portable classed as a truckmount"

Never.
Regards
Glynn

Robin Ray

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 03:41:30 pm »
It doesn't really matter what you call it, at the end of the day change happens, and a point will come when when an electrically powered machine can provide comparable results in a comparable time period to a petrol powered machine. When that point comes the only difference between the two will be cost, the cost of purchase, the cost of running, and the cost of maintaining. All of these costs reduce profit, and at the end of the day business is all about profit. If an electrically powered machine can work in a comparable way within areas of the industry then it is a no brainer.

Many will say that that a TM and an electrically powered machine can never be classed as comparable and at present that may be true, however that has been said about many things. It took Thomas Edison thousands of attempts to make the light bulb, but since he succeeded electric light is the main way of producing light. I'm sure many said to him that he was onto a loser, just like people sometimes deride electrically powered machines today. However electric is the future and those who don't embrace change may find themselves in effect holding a candle when they could be switching on the light.

Tony Stewart

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 03:54:20 pm »
63 hp machine and huge suction and able to work two men off one machine - a portable van mounted machine is never ever a truckmount. Its as far away as a rotary clean to a portable.  ;D
Starts at the bottom likes it and stays there

Raymondo

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 03:57:31 pm »
It funny when people buy an electric car and say its better for the environment they don't realize that electricity still has to be produced at a power station and then moved to there car it maybe nuclear or gas or coal powered but still harm the environment in some way.

But saying that it will be the future or maybe hydrogen.

Was behind a tesla a few week back that was fast.

At the moment a TM will outperform a portable unless you add a few more vac motors and plug it in next door.

But in the last few years portable have done a lot to narrow the gap between the 2.

You never know one days we may have a nuclear powered portable.

Doug Holloway

tim handley

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 05:25:13 pm »
quite right........... i have a portable in my van, i kinda like it that way...............
i would love a truckmount one day, have to see how it goes. I guess you have
to have a certain amount of work coming in  to justify a truckmount?
 not sure i can/do................

markbetts

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 06:00:10 pm »
Who gives a fig ?

They both clean carpets  ;D :)

Raymondo

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 06:07:32 pm »
Who gives a fig ?

They both clean carpets  ;D :)

The problem is if someone says they run a truckmount but they only have a portable in the van they are deceiving the public and trading standards may be interested in it.

A bane clean has been mentioned I tried a bane clean a few years ago was not really impressed  it not a TM in the true sense.

Robin Ray

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 06:17:40 pm »
 ;D ;D

The debate rolls on and it probably will do for many years.

Interestingly one of hydramasters newest machines is powered by an electric motor, the motor is powered by a generator running off the van engine, but it is electricity which moves the blower.
here it is... http://www.hydramaster.com/Portals/0/SellSheets/CDSxDrive_Booklet_WEB.pdf

Time will tell ...

*Hector*

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 06:21:12 pm »
quite right........... i have a portable in my van, i kinda like it that way...............
i would love a truckmount one day, have to see how it goes. I guess you have
to have a certain amount of work coming in  to justify a truckmount?
 not sure i can/do................

But .........................

If you invest in a truckmount, I guarantee you that the work will come in..... Because sub-consciously you will make it come in.....
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Anthony Parton

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 09:39:43 am »
It doesn't really matter what you call it, at the end of the day change happens, and a point will come when when an electrically powered machine can provide comparable results in a comparable time period to a petrol powered machine. When that point comes the only difference between the two will be cost, the cost of purchase, the cost of running, and the cost of maintaining. All of these costs reduce profit, and at the end of the day business is all about profit. If an electrically powered machine can work in a comparable way within areas of the industry then it is a no brainer.

Many will say that that a TM and an electrically powered machine can never be classed as comparable and at present that may be true, however that has been said about many things. It took Thomas Edison thousands of attempts to make the light bulb, but since he succeeded electric light is the main way of producing light. I'm sure many said to him that he was onto a loser, just like people sometimes deride electrically powered machines today. However electric is the future and those who don't embrace change may find themselves in effect holding a candle when they could be switching on the light.

If you put enough vacuum motors in a portable you can get the same airflow as a truckmount, however, generating truckmount comparable heat uses a lot of electricity.
Even a small truckmount will provide around 30kW of water heating capacity.
Imagine connecting up 10 x 3kW heaters in a portable!!

john martin

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 12:05:12 pm »
True , with house electrics you are not going to get tm heat all the time but the compromise is not so bad .
Until the Tesla style rechargeable truckmount arrives forget trying to get an exact tm replica .
All there is off the shelf etm wise is the mytee escape . Thing is woodbridges approach and even mytees is wrong for a carpet cleaning etm in this country. Woodbridge I believe put in a 1500psi pump and god knows what motors , those that bought it (luc on this forum ?) Have said it was tripping switches and giving various trouble .
The escape should have a simple pumptec 205 at 400psi ..and 1600w and 1200w vacs all on cord one ...just like an enforcer .
Then on cord two the same 1600w+1200w and the pumpout pump . all at about 12amps per cord , can be plugged into every standard double socket .then if you want heat a inline steammate can be used close to where your working .just plug that into a different circuit , u soon get used to finding that .
That setup could allow more convience in many situations that just a portable , ...no filling or emplyin ,better performance , the option to use  trex jnr or whatever .
The lack of consistent tm heat can be  made up for with a good polybrush scrub on the nasties .
For upholstery and low flow carpet cleaning you would have enough heat .

jasonl

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »
My car has 223 hp but I dont need them ever.

I have ownedd 2 truckmounts in the past and could go and get one tomorrow  if I wanted, it simply does not make business sense for me, though it does for others.

It is all about what works for you.  suction, lift, power, noise, speed, convenience all mean different things to different people.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Robin Ray

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
Lots of interesting comments.. Interesting because my Escape arrives on Friday. Heat is no problem at all because Diesel or propane can be used to heat the water which can actually be hotter  than some TMs,if desired. Mine will not be hotter but I have no desire for 120 degree C heat.

If there are any problems with the Escape of course I will want it sorted but I have looked at the design now for some time and followed those who use them along with experimenting with my existing machinery. I will keep the forum posted on how good or bad it actually is (for those who are interested).

According to the specs it will provide 325 cfm at 16.5hg along with my 80 degrees constant heat I will be adding. I'm not sure I will need any more power than that. Along with that I will have my porty for backup which I have been using van mounted for the past 2 years. For me I'm hoping it will be the perfect set up. It won't be every ones idea of great but as Jason said it's all about what works for you.   :)

mark shannon

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »
Looks interesting the Escape Robin.

will_turton

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 08:48:04 pm »
I was just seeing what people would say on this topic!!!
So is it mis-leading to advertise that  you use a truckmount when in fact you have a portable!! That is van mounted with wheels on,  so you can wheel it around
 Isn't that like saying I use a top end portable and turning up to a job with a Henry !!!
Very deceptive

Robin Ray

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 09:21:49 pm »
Im not sure many do market that way. And if they do who really cares?

Apart from that not many customers notice or care what machine is in the back of the van as long as it cleans the carpet. Before I started cleaning carpets I didn't even know what a truckmount was. I think the only people who really care about machinery is carpet cleaners.

john martin

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:29:29 pm »
Lots of interesting comments.. Interesting because my Escape arrives on Friday. Heat is no problem at all because Diesel or propane can be used to heat the water which can actually be hotter  than some TMs,if desired. Mine will not be hotter but I have no desire for 120 degree C heat.

If there are any problems with the Escape of course I will want it sorted but I have looked at the design now for some time and followed those who use them along with experimenting with my existing machinery. I will keep the forum posted on how good or bad it actually is (for those who are interested).

According to the specs it will provide 325 cfm at 16.5hg along with my 80 degrees constant heat I will be adding. I'm not sure I will need any more power than that. Along with that I will have my porty for backup which I have been using van mounted for the past 2 years. For me I'm hoping it will be the perfect set up. It won't be every ones idea of great but as Jason said it's all about what works for you.   :)
so did u just order it online , or did u ask questions ? like im not even sure if if woodbridge stick with the mytee vacs . 
are you getting it on wheels ?  might be usefull to bring it in to some commercials .   Anyway post lots of pics if u can and give a review .  Pretty sure you will like the suction .

Robin Ray

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 09:43:50 pm »
No I did not order it online, I had a chat with John first, as I have ordered loads of other stuff too. The vas are the same as the US machine, in fact the machine is totally US spec as it is coming directly from the US. It will be on wheels, I'm not sure i will use it like that though as I have a decent porty. I'm looking forward to getting it going!

john martin

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 09:51:24 pm »
No I did not order it online, I had a chat with John first, as I have ordered loads of other stuff too. The vas are the same as the US machine, in fact the machine is totally US spec as it is coming directly from the US. It will be on wheels, I'm not sure i will use it like that though as I have a decent porty. I'm looking forward to getting it going!
ok , thats interesting ... the one when they fitted a bigger pump might just have being a test model when thay sold them first .
yes the USA spec is 230v as they are intended to plug into the usa cloths dryer circuit ...or they come with some adapter splitter for 120v .
Keeping the pump down lowish , you might have no problems at all , it would be good to test with a amp meter to see whats drawing what though .
should be good , id be tempted to get one myself as i havnt the time to build one ... you can be the guinea pig  :)

john martin

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 10:59:12 pm »
whats the source of the 80 degress constant heat you mentioned ?

Robin Ray

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 09:23:31 am »
Webasto diesel water heater which will circulate and heat the water in the Escape buffer Tank. The Escape has a High Temperature pump so can take the heat. There is a way to further boost this heat at a later date but i'm not  sure if I will need to.

Another potential option for the future is to import a little giant from the US, but again I'm not sure if I will need or want to.

Glynn

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 04:59:59 pm »
Are you saying your wanting to heat the water with a Webasto diesel heater ?, i.e a Webasto Thermotop ?.
Regards
Glynn

Robin Ray

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 05:51:06 pm »
Are you saying your wanting to heat the water with a Webasto diesel heater ?, i.e a Webasto Thermotop ?.

Yes, Not as an inline heater, but a buffer tank heater. Giving me between 25 and 50 L of hot water always at hand.

Glynn

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 06:04:39 pm »
It wouldnt keep up with that and you would wear the thing out quickly.
Ive had these heaters on my boats for years, they are good but not for the use you want them to do.
Regards
Glynn

Robin Ray

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »
They keep up with a window cleaning system which uses a constant flow of water for hours on end, also i will not be using it as an inline heater. It will be heating a buffer tank first, then all it has to do is keep up with maintaining the temperature against the incoming water from the fresh water tank. I may find you correct in the end but I will take my chances.

Richard Tara

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 09:49:06 pm »

Nice Christmas present Robin  ;)  I  was looking at getting the Escape a few months ago but went for the Enforcer...Keep us updated on how you get on with it.  ( picture in the van or a video )

Richard ( was Carpet2Clean   now Shoreline Cleaning )   www.shorelinecleaning.co.uk
carpet, upholstery, caravan cleaning for Skegness www.rbcleaningskegness.co.uk

Anthony Parton

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 09:12:10 am »
Webasto diesel water heater which will circulate and heat the water in the Escape buffer Tank. The Escape has a High Temperature pump so can take the heat. There is a way to further boost this heat at a later date but i'm not  sure if I will need to.

Another potential option for the future is to import a little giant from the US, but again I'm not sure if I will need or want to.

Instead of burning fuel to just heat the water why not burn fuel to drive an engine and use the exhaust to heat the water? ;-)

Robin Ray

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 01:17:21 pm »
We are talking a lot... lot less fuel here. Also it will make a lot less noise, this was one of the main reasons I wanted an escape. I know that too much noise doesn't bother some people but I personally feel it will be unacceptable for me and my business.

Glynn

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 03:49:23 pm »
We are talking a lot... lot less fuel here. Also it will make a lot less noise, this was one of the main reasons I wanted an escape. I know that too much noise doesn't bother some people but I personally feel it will be unacceptable for me and my business.

The thing that would be acceptable to my business or any business for that matter is to make money and the sound of a Truckmount running = making money.
Regards
Glynn

Robin Ray

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 05:42:19 pm »

The thing that would be acceptable to my business or any business for that matter is to make money and the sound of a Truckmount running = making money.

Thats great.... for you

elliott cleaning

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 10:07:12 pm »
It's not often I disagree with Glynn - but it' s not the sound of a truckmount that = money.  It's the increased speed at which you can clean compared to a portable that = the increased profit despite the higher running costs of a t/m

Robin Ray

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 11:34:10 pm »
It's not often I disagree with Glynn - but it' s not the sound of a truckmount that = money.  It's the increased speed at which you can clean compared to a portable that = the increased profit despite the higher running costs of a t/m

Absolutely...

Just imagine if all that was possible without the added running costs, and the ear defenders!

Lewis Newby

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »
Hi Robin , hope you are well mate, saw you driving past in paignton while I was on the school run This morning lol.

Anyway just wondered why not keep to your heated tank and just run an inline heater ? Won't that give the same level of heat as your expecting from the new system?

The airflow and lift look good for that machine, looking at entry level tm and the lift is a few hg lower with similar airflow, should run nicely.

I fancy a tm one day but with other commitments taking priority over the business I'm not busy enough to warrant it, though it's appealing if I get away with working less for the same money .

Anyway all the best with the machine I look forward to your usual in depth review

Lewis

Robin Ray

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2016, 10:28:44 pm »
Cheers Mate, Yeh I was doing a job in Brixham, a bit out of my normal area, I did a massive karndean floor for them some time back and then they wanted their upholstery doing.

Yes i'm hoping the Escape will work really well. Yes I could use a heated tank and boost it with the magma but I wanted to keep the amount of cables at two.  Since I last posted about heat I have had some other options come up which should simplify thing even further. When I have fitted it all up i will make a video of how it all works. The machine arrives tomorrow so it probably won't be until after christmas now.

I hope business is going well for you. Cheers

Glynn

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:40 pm »
Sorry but imo your wasting your money.
Regards
Glynn

elliott cleaning

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2016, 09:54:34 pm »
Can't understand why anyone using a portable and then starts trying to adapt it to perform to the standards of a truckmount goes through all these scenarios.  Why not just upgrade to a truckmount?

Robin Ray

Re: When is a portable classed as a truckmount New
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2016, 09:55:35 pm »
Sorry but imo your wasting your money.

I obviously don't think I am wasting my money otherwise I would have not bought it.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else come too that, that this way of doing things is the only and best way. It's just the way that I think is best for me and for my business.

I do think that time will tell if it works well or not, and I will keep every one posted on the results. As the results will speak for themselves it will be a shame for some if my meager investment with miniscule running costs were to give equally good results as their 20k + TMs. Many will say this is impossible!! But the facts will speak for themselves.

Robin Ray

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2016, 09:58:49 pm »
Can't understand why anyone using a portable and then starts trying to adapt it to perform to the standards of a truckmount goes through all these scenarios.  Why not just upgrade to a truckmount?

What scenarios?

Richard Tara

Re: When is a portable classed as a truckmount New
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2016, 10:23:16 pm »
Hi Robin

Looking forward to the video after Christmas, just to see what i missed out on . :'(

I flip a coin and the Enforcer  won 2 out of 3 over the Escape.

Looking at getting the Ashbys booster box.

Richard   ex Carpet2Clean now Shoreline Cleaning

www.shorelinecleaning.co.uk

carpet, upholstery, caravan cleaning for Skegness www.rbcleaningskegness.co.uk