andy roberts

Which machine?
« on: May 28, 2006, 08:56:10 pm »
Hi all, I'm totally new to this forum - in fact this is my first post!

I am a carpet fitter (18 years) and have decided to commence a CC business. I have brochures from Extracta, Prochem, Ashbys & Alltec and have franchising information from Rainbow. A franchise seems an expensive option so I've ruled that out. I understand about the need to do a good training course first, however, im just trying to work out what im going to need and overall costings. I've been adviced that I need a min 100psi pump & 2 3-stage vacs.

The question is which machine do I go for:- Excel, Steempro 2000 powerplus, alltec advantage or the Ninja

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Andy.

andy roberts

Re: Which machine?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 03:39:56 pm »
Well I've had no replys, but I think im gonna go with Prochem & the Steempro powerplus. The ninja appears better spec. but from what I have read on here, Ashbys after sales service needs improving. Also, we have a local Prochem distributor in Jersey (where I live) stocking chemicals and parts, which I didnt know about till this morning. So that should save me a few pennies!

Anyone know if Prochem offers a discount on their CC course if I buy their machine?

Andy.

stains-away

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 03:55:08 pm »
If you buy a machine from prochem they will include a voucher for training with it which i think is a 2 day course but i may be wrong, best thing to do is check their website, Andy

spickandspan

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 04:06:42 pm »
Prochem did it for me Andy and they will throw in a free training program which has always done me ok.
good luck.
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

the red carpet

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 04:07:30 pm »
The ninja offers the best spec, but i have heard there aftersales isnt great
I have the excell and its a decent machine but im thinking of upgrading to the ninja, so i may be selling the extracta soon if your interested in a second hand machine.

Any manufacturers chemicalls will work in all the machines, and most places that service or repair machines or sell parts will be able to fix and supply parts for most makes, so dont tie yourself to prochem just because you have a distributor near you.

I own the extracta excell, and have had it repaired by alltec and woodbridge

Another model that might be worth considering is the (mytee speedster) good spec and good price, i know nothing of reliability or the after sales but its worth considering as its a better spec than the prochem, alltec, and extracta and only about £1300.

Try matt at cleansmart, or woodbridge for details

andy roberts

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 05:43:12 pm »
ok thanks for your advice all, you've got me thinking again now. If the Ninja is one of the best British made portables (top spec 400psi pump etc) then I might just go for one of them from the start even though it looks like a wheelie bin!?. My mate owns an Excel but it costs him a fortune to get parts and chemicals to Jersey from Newcastle. Im gonna have good hard think. Cheers!

Andy.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 06:19:42 pm »
Andrew,
I own the extracta excell and they are a good machine, a bit heavy tho :(

You might want to think about the cfr recycling machines that are on the market which obviously ::) recycle the water and reduce the refilling time, i'm seriously considering one myself!

It would be good to get a demo on one before you shell out any serious money.
regards
steve

the red carpet

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 06:46:26 pm »
Theres a 3rd clip on vac for the ninja available now as welli dont think its in there catalouges or on website yet as its just come out

Len Gribble

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 08:41:26 pm »
Andy as one donkey to another both Ashby’s and Prochem offer free training, both are good courses, however you may be out of the remits, yes Ashby’s have had bad pub on the forums but at end of day good machine (never had a problem with it), Prochem machine good cant comment on afters sales agents my be a problem, direct dealing no comment! :P

Think the word is British assembled. ;D

Word of advice, don’t go for a TM. ::)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Phil Marlor

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 08:54:54 pm »

Word of advice, don’t go for a TM. ::)

Len

Len, why do you say that? ???
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

spickandspan

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:56:56 pm »
I agree with Len leave T/M alone.

andy roberts

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 04:11:15 pm »
Thanks all for advice.

I've just had an email back from Brian at Extracta and he says in it that anything more than a 100psi pump may/could cause damage to carpets/fabrics. I'm abit confused now!

Most of u chaps though seem to want to upgrade for a higher spec pump? And yes I'm getting a portable not a t/m.

Thanks everyone,  andy.

the red carpet

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 04:17:14 pm »
They would say that they dont sell anything more powerfull, dont ever listen to sales people, if you want advice ask on here.

With a big pump you can turn it down, you dont have to use the 400-500 psi all the time
with a small pump you cant turn it up if the job needs it

spickandspan

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 05:44:57 pm »
I have never needed more than 100psi cant imagine why anybody would???

andy roberts

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 05:56:21 pm »
Ok thank you.

Im gonna go with Prochem, they seem a professional solid company with good training, and I like the Steempro Powerplus. The only draw back is that they dont do an independent 'scrubba' power brush to go with it which I wanted.

Cheers,  andy.

the red carpet

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 06:19:13 pm »
use the extracta scrubba deluxe with it

Ian Rochester

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 08:05:43 pm »
Well, I never realised that there were so many of us Extracta Exel lot out there!!

This is the machine I have used since starting nearly 4 years ago, we have two of them both with scrubba deluxe's and I can honestly say that they have done the job for me admirably.  My main reason for going for this was the robustness of the machine and the locality of the manufacturer (30 miles from me, which is a first!!)

However today, I have just been out with John Kelly from Restormate and had a go with his Prowler T/M, a very impressive machine, especially when you consider the modest price they are selling them for (£5999+vat).  I am now seriously considering purchasing one of these to use as my primary machine, with the portables as back up and for jobs where the TM would not get to.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 09:21:21 pm »
it is true the extracta only uses a 100 psi pump, but if you  use it right you don't need any more than that, and consider that the higher the psi the quicker you will get through the water as well.

Cleaning carpets isn't about blasting as much water as possible into it but about getting a few different things right and thats why the extracta with the scrubba works so well, plenty of agitation and just enough moisture,  in fact using the scrubba uses even less water ( dont ask me why)  :) but it is very efficient and that means less time refilling which is what most porty users hate.
regards
steve

boshravie

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 12:08:06 am »
hi arthur.
just go for this machine and you wont look back.
its the best machine we ever had.
The C.F.R.

Michel Roberts

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:51 am »
Andrew

I am a carpet fitter in London

I began fitting In 73 and cleaning in 78

80 per cent fitting 20 per cent cleaning in the average week

Cleaning is not as good an earner as fitting  for me but cleaning is good for filling the gaps

Call me me If you want on 020 8743 3977

Jason ,the NICF are running a carpet fitter starter course 2days  21-22 june in Loughbourgh and 18-19 september in nelson lancashire

Regards Michel Roberts

PS Andrew I would'nt personally use the banging down technique referrerd to in your post before this but would prefer to use the Roberts compressed edge starting technique. So named not after you or me but John Roberts of the USA who in the mid 1930's invented smoothedge carper gripper and founded Roberts smoothedge inc the worlds largest manufacture of gripper. My typing is slow for me to explain it here but it is all on the web site last time I looked.

Michel Roberts

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 12:12:04 am »
Andrew

I am a carpet fitter in London

I began fitting In 73 and cleaning in 78

80 per cent fitting 20 per cent cleaning in the average week

Cleaning is not as good an earner as fitting  for me but cleaning is good for filling the gaps

Call me me If you want on 020 8743 3977

Jason ,the NICF are running a carpet fitter starter course 2days  21-22 june in Loughbourgh and 18-19 september in nelson lancashire

Regards Michel Roberts

PS Andrew I would'nt personally use the banging down technique referrerd to in your post before this but would prefer to use the Roberts compressed edge starting technique. So named not after you or me but John Roberts of the USA who in the mid 1930's invented smoothedge carper gripper and founded Roberts smoothedge inc the worlds largest manufacture of gripper. My typing is slow for me to explain it here but it is all on the web site last time I looked.

andy roberts

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 11:31:13 am »
Michel

Thanks for advice. Would like to know more about Roberts edge starting technique. Have tried to look on your web site but wont let me on for some reason. I dont use the 'tapping down' technique everytime cos its more time consuming and when im working with other fitters i use standard fitting technique otherwise we end up with one room with two finishes.

Interesting to read that your earning more from fitting than cleaning, I thought that might be the case. But as I am nearly hitting 40 I thought id get into cleaning before my fitting sell by date! My dad used to have a large cleaning company in the 70's which incorporated carpet/upholstery cleaning and I suppose its in the blood to give it ago. Ive read previous posts and im taking advice from them ie training course/s, good machinery/chemicals, professional set up etc etc

Perhaps ill give you a call to have a chat,

Andy. 

Michel Roberts

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 05:00:18 pm »
Andrew

Call me all means if you want. I can explain more in 30 secs than I can type in 30 mins

If you go to my web site from the profile section here, it does nt seem to work for some reason but if you go to it directly it works fine. www.carpetfitter.uk.com

However, the info I was talking about was not on my web site but somewhere on the roberts web site, if you can t find it  let me know and I will track it down.

Regards Michel 

Len Gribble

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 03:21:20 am »
Phil

Have you ever been to donkey land (a motor bike has trouble parking, not to mention there lanes, was on two months secondment a few years ago) I note Ian has been there! So I will eat humble pie as I forgot about the porty TM, which is not mains connected! ;D

spickandspan

Please quantify or are you agreeing with me on location.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

andy roberts

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 07:57:22 am »
Len

Just to put you right on one point. People living in Jersey like me are called 'JerseyBeans' or 'Crapos' by Guernsey people and we call Guernsey people 'donkeys'. This name calling dates back a couple of centuries when the Islands used to vigourously compete exporting potatos and tomatos to the mainland. These days you very rarely hear Jersey people mention the word 'donkey', the only time being once a year when they hold the inter-island football match.

As a 'Jersey Bean' i'm hoping to 'clean up' soon with my new business. Are there any other 'beans' out there willing to give me some advice?

Andy.

andy roberts

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 12:38:26 pm »
One last question on machines guys then I'll drop the subject.

Is there any need for me to buy a dry solvent cleaning machine ie spirit 2 to clean curtains, fine fabrics & rugs etc etc? Or would I manage with a HWE machine.

Andy

John Kelly

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 12:49:14 pm »
Save your money

Ian Rochester

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 10:51:43 pm »
I agree, save your money, buy your HWE machine then wait to see how many times you are asked for or need a solvent cleaner.  If it is anything like me it will be very rarely, perhaps once a year.