david washbrook

Vinyl floor
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:54:03 pm »
i have been asked to quote for cleaning a large vinyl floor which normally isnt a problem as i would just use a rotary a red pad but this one has loads of paint splattered everywhere and they also want a shine put back on it

so does anyone have any suggestions of what is best to clean it and also what to use to put a shine on it afterwards, the reason its got loads of paint is that its the art room in a collage and its a fairly large room

any ideas

Jamie Pearson

Re: Vinyl floor
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 03:08:29 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aqua-Mix-Sealing-Coating-Remover-946ml-AquaMix-/130537273584?pt=UK_Flooring&hash=item1e64a0b8f0#ht_2106wt_706

I have used this for a church floor restoration this week and have to say I am mighty impressed. Make sure it is definately a vinyl floor. Heat a paper clip with a lighter and push into the floor. If it melts in its vinyl. If not its more likely rubber or marmoleum/linoleum. If its the latter you won't get away with aggressive chemistry or pads.

The above is a little like paint stripper in its make up and applied neat and thin to surface then rinse scrubbed off. If its only a small amount of paint a pocket scraper will do. If its a lot then you really need chemistry to shift it. The worst stuff to move is the fine mist of splatters from emulsion rollers.

I hate painters. They do earn me a lot of money though. We always give 2 quotes 1 for cleaning and sealing and another for cleaning and sealing removing the paint spots. This way the project manager can see how much their painters have cost them. Sometimes they make them clean it off before we arrive. Usually this involves the use of thinners, brush cleaner etc which cause some pretty impressive damage to new marmoleum.

david washbrook

Re: Vinyl floor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:15:49 pm »
when i say there is loads of paint i mean loads this room has been used as an arts room in a college and i think the students must have had a massive paint fight its everywhere

thanks for your advice will look on aqua mix web site

thanks
dave