cannon

concrete floor
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:42 pm »
Ive been to look at a job today kitchen area and toilets are altro which i can take care of.

The corridors however are what appears to be just painted concrete ive attached a couple of pics.

They would like it cleaned up and advice given on machine to buy for the regular cleaner to maintain it.

Would a rotory scrub with ultrapac, rinse and extract with a hard floor wand to the trick?

Is there a product which could be applied after to give it a nice finish.

Any advice appreciated.

Re: concrete floor
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »
Why don't you check with the people who put it down.

cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:18:42 pm »
They are going to get in touch with them Neil, but it appears to be just painted concrete.

It was supposed to be screeded etc but there was a wrangling over price and the manager says before it was properly resolved they had packed up and gone.

John Kelly

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:02 pm »
Thats an absolute mess. it is always going to be a nightmare to keep clean. It should really be scabbled to remove the paint and re-screeded.

Len Gribble

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:59 pm »
Looks like a resin/epoxy coated floor. Not that easy to clean but can be done.

If I were doing it rotary with shampoo brush and wet vac (ant got a hard floor wand) understand a spinner is good for this flooring (ant got one of them ether)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

cannon

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:30 pm »
Thats an absolute mess. it is always going to be a nightmare to keep clean. It should really be scabbled to remove the paint and re-screeded.

You should see it in the flesh looks like sh**te and its a citizens advice bureau

I told him i wouldnt just clean it for cleanings sake and for them to still end up with crap looking floor, im concerned that cleaning wouldnt make much of a visual improvement but they said it did look ok/presentable and would be happy with an improvement in appearance.

Ill give them your advice john and just put a price in for the altro and offer to do a demo patch.

Paul Heath

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:23 pm »
If they done such a crap job i would be worried that the paint would flake away.
I think i would use paint stripper then sceed the floor, so at least if would all be one leval, then re paint.
Like you say keeping it clean is going to be a nightmare.
Best of luck

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:11:34 pm »
Crb will work well on this.if you don't have one another trick is some really fine abrasive like honing powder for stone 500 grit, old school scouring powder or even cif with a tynex or medium  brush. Hot alkaline detergent and a good rinsing.

We would offer them a PU coating to level it out a bit and reduce the areas dirt could be trapped.

peter maybury

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 01:01:34 am »
this is a surface that a crb machine come into its own......... Apart from being the best carpet aggitation system as well........
If applied properly the coating in this floor will out last a smooth floor. A similar finish to the old thermoplastic "travertine" tiles.
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

cannon

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »
I was hoping you would be along Jamie Ill drop you an email if you dont mind.

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:18:32 pm »

cannon

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »
Just had a call back from this job and the price was to high for them, well it was more of a case they didnt want the same expense yearly.

They are now considering other options and different floor coverings, what advice can I give them?

They basically want flooring that is easier and cheaper to maintain, carpet tiles yeah?

I imagine there would be a significant cost involved to change this floor to anything else so would the better option be for them to have me clean it and sell them a 6 monthly maintenance clean, get myself a rotowash or similar.

Thanks

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:31:50 pm »
Karl,

The coating I spoke to you about has a 3 year wear warranty and requires no stripping and reapplication on an annual basis.
You dont even need to buff it! Clean only.

The main reason for using it are its savings when it comes to maintenance.