M.Acorn

Been asked to price up cleaning and re sealing a stone floor
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:37:39 pm »
Have done tile and grout before,this is the first sniff at a real floor though,apparently bricks,it's a listed cottage,so will be old bricks.
41 sq m clean and re seal.
So aqua mix,scrub with brush on rotary,suck up slurry,dry with snail fan,and then seal,not sure which sealer though..
Price I was thinking £5 a sq m ?

Is that about right ?
What goes around comes around

AshWhite

Re: Been asked to price up cleaning and re sealing a stone floor
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:50:53 pm »
Mark,
The first proper hard floor job I did (all the way back 2 weeks ago!) I allowed 7 hours of work. In the end, it took me 15 hours - although the end result was fantastic. This was on 110 year old porcelain. Its a great accomplishment when it turns out nice, but by the time I finished, I felt like I had cleaned a 100 carpets!
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

terrazzoman

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »
£7.50 per sq m would be a average price

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »
In my opinion Mark, £5 per m2 is miles out.

It's a listed cottage, is there a damp course ? How long will the floor take to dry ?
Will you have to make another visit to apply a coat or coats of sealer ?

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:19:56 pm »
Going top call in tomorrow and have a butchers,cheers for the info  ;D ,will go in and say £7.50 ish

jim mca

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:14:26 pm »
mark

Give Kev Martin at tiling logistics a call for advice and get some training before you try yourself mistakes can be very costly for a strip clean and seal £20-£25 per sq metre
Jim

mike roberts

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:19:12 pm »
£7.50 per sq m would be a average price

£7.5 sounds very cheap just for cleaning.... surely not including sealing as well ?

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »
I would not get too bogged down with price per sq m .  have a look and see what is required and what you will have to use .   but i would say that £7.50 per sq m is very cheap. 

M.Acorn

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »
Well I am booked in to go and see it on Monday,got a job 2 doors from the quote so that is pretty handy,I said it would be in the region of £7.50 p,s,m but it's still over £300 so not so bad,will see what I think,but won't be taking it on if I get twitchy.
I bought the Aqua mix from tiling logistics,so will give them a call tomorrow,as they say call us if ever you need help or advice  ;D

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:39 pm »
You will get great advice from Kev. Identification of the floor will be key for him to give you best advice. Check for heating etc as it can take up to a week for certain types to dry completely.

peter maybury

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:45:28 pm »
"OLD BRICKS" is probably not the technical description for this floor. It is more likely to be flagstone, if it is a listed building then then it likely that there is no damp course below the floor. You would need to take damp readings before proceeding with any cleaning or sealing. Even if there is a dpm you would have to dry the floor thoroughly and totally rinse any chemicals before sealing because any moisture/ residue will build up underneath the seal. The average punter thinks that hard floors are easier to maintain than carpet buts by far the opposite exists.
If you are equipped and qualified then take the job on but "OLD BRICKS" might bite you in the arse.
Good luck
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

M.Acorn

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:27 am »
The listed cottage I used to own had Cambridge whites,it's in the same sort of area,and I assume it will also be circa 15th century,my place didn't have a dpc either,so kind of hoping it will be those.
Would anyone else be interested in taking on the job,if I decide to pass on it ?
Possibly with a little kick back from me,or even get some on the job experience ?
Don't want to mess it up,as the place is really close to 2 of my regular customers,and bad news travels fast

robert meldrum

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:10 am »
Quite a selection there !

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:04:42 pm »
Quite a selection there !

Not all brick too.

M.Acorn

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
Righty some more info now,first job of the day,regular customer to clean a rug,mentioned I was down the road quoting on hard floor cleaning,her reply,oh didn't realise you also did that,can you quote for ours too ?

;D This one has dpc,clay paviours,some cement where they have removed cupboards over 20 sq m

here are pics,they don't want it sealing so just a case of Aqua mix,suck,rinse and dry..

Next one,this also has dpc,and they require it sealing afterwards,it is as I expected a mix of bricks,another well know company  in the area quoted,but she said she nearly fell off her chair,when she got the price in,I have said I will do it for a lot less,as it's one of the first I have done,she accepted that..

Also booked her for 2 flights of stairs,4 in total in their house  ;D

Any input appreciated,said it will take half a day to clean,then a gap of 3 or 4 days to dry,before sealing,house is about 3 miles from me,so not an issue with travel...Will call tiling logistics for info n sealer,she wants matt finish

Neither floor looks too bad,I personally would be happy with them both as they are,but hey,not my house,and it's all money in the bank...

sherco

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:56:56 am »
Yes explain to the customer that on these old floors you could get efflorescence (salt) coming out of the old floor once you start to clean it. This dosent always happen but if it does the problem will need to be sorted before any sealer is applied. Speak to Kevin about this as he supplies the product for this. Just make sure the customer knows this, as this would be an extra cost.  Also the bricks look like the have a wax polish on them which will need to be removed..Show kevin the photo's.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

M.Acorn

Re: Been asked to price up cleaning and re sealing a stone floor New
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:06 am »
Thanks Sherco,was hoping you would see this and give some input !!
Off to the dentist now,so depending on the outcome I will call when I get back,chipped a massive lump out of a tooth eating cereal at the weekend,thought it was a bit too crunchy !!!
Aqua mix will remove the wax  no ?
I have the same brick floor in my lounge,so I will be attempting to give it a good clean this week,to see how I get on.  ;D