mike roberts

Gloss paint on tarmac road/s
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »
Hi
following on from graffiti tag prob.... have seen job today.... white gloss paint spilage over road  actually 3 different roads ranging from thin line's to large 'dumps' 12" sq size ... tarmac looks to be cold rolled.

Also on blocks but can remove using std chems washer... chems not suitable for tarmac as they will soften it!. .. From Matt / Lee coments wet blast - soda Do you think it would work on this prob  ??? ???

Cheers Mike

Blast Away

Re: Gloss paint on tarmac road/s
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
Hi
following on from graffiti tag prob.... have seen job today.... white gloss paint spilage over road  actually 3 different roads ranging from thin line's to large 'dumps' 12" sq size ... tarmac looks to be cold rolled.

Also on blocks but can remove using std chems washer... chems not suitable for tarmac as they will soften it!. .. From Matt / Lee coments wet blast - soda Do you think it would work on this prob  ??? ???

Cheers Mike

Don't ask me about paint removal, I've no patience for it...

;D

Matt Gibson

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:56:55 pm »
mate, i think the soda/wetblast would be too abraisive for the tarmac...maybe not so much the soda, you would have to give it a try ..turn the pressure down abit and go for it..

have never done any paint from tarmac in large areas, i used chems when i removed spots here and there and the tarmac was fine..

Alan McTernan

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:28:07 pm »
Give Richard at Tensid a call we just used one of his strippers and it was the dogs do dars!!!

Blast Away

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:47 pm »
Give Richard at Tensid a call we just used one of his strippers and it was the dogs do dars!!!

How much do they sell stripper for? I would imagine a ridiculous price.

Alan McTernan

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:00 pm »
The Stripper we just used was just under £200 for 20 litres but was very good stuff ;)

Even though the job run over by 2 days :'(

Blast Away

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:53:33 pm »
The Stripper we just used was just under £200 for 20 litres but was very good stuff ;)

Even though the job run over by 2 days :'(

Is it Dichloromethane like AS10?

Alan McTernan

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:01:40 pm »
Not sure its called Tavec 201.

And the guys managed to get 3 small spots on a car 40 feet away but none anywhere closer, go figure ::)

Blast Away

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »
Not sure its called Tavec 201.

And the guys managed to get 3 small spots on a car 40 feet away but none anywhere closer, go figure ::)

I've had it on my van but not someone else's car.  ;D

Anyway AS10 is £80. Save your pennies for a good xmas... ;)

Matt Gibson

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 08:11:12 am »
All the paint strippers have the same stuff in them. They all contain that dichloromethane stuff. AS10 is good gear.

Alan McTernan

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:44:57 am »
Thats where my profit went  :'(

mike roberts

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »
Dont think stripper is an option, paint is on 3 roads housing estate...  locally as roads turn into cul de sac tarmac is replaced via blocks.. as there is less traffic to manage stripper would be ok, But on the 'main' roads tarmac just to busy would be stripping passing traffic  ;D ;D - For price thick may try demo using soda with care ??? ???  what price do you pay for it  ??? ???

Blast Away

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:40:47 pm »
Dont think stripper is an option, paint is on 3 roads housing estate...  locally as roads turn into cul de sac tarmac is replaced via blocks.. as there is less traffic to manage stripper would be ok, But on the 'main' roads tarmac just to busy would be stripping passing traffic  ;D ;D - For price thick may try demo using soda with care ??? ???  what price do you pay for it  ??? ???

Mosmatic with vacuum recovery?

Soda is about £30 for 25kg bag.

I managed to buy 60 bags bulk of ebay for £400 that a guy was getting rid of.
They've got some lumps in them which need to be broken up by hand as they were stood so long the bags have compacted. Good enough to go through a wet blasting nozzle but too much hassle for soda blasting with air as Damien found when he took a few bags.

Kenny83

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 06:16:33 pm »
there is some eco friendly stripper that you can buy, it's like  white cream, not sure if it will work though, but i'm pretty certain it wouldn't damge the tarmac as it's not solvent based, I think this would be your best bet as it's designed for things like gloss etc
This looks ver similar stuff to what ive used around the house -

http://www.celticsustainables.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d7.html#p17

Not sure where to buy it in bulk though, i know that chemicals ltd sell it but theyre quite expensive
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »

Mosmatic with vacuum recovery?

Yer was thinking similar but will still need dwell time for stripper, paint in some areas really thick, have to post pics !no way to cordon off... Road looks really bad, dripped / dropped from refuge vehicle why the muppets didnt stop god knows instead carried on around hsg estate! But if find solution.... xmas paid for  ;D ;D

Blast Away

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »
there is some eco friendly stripper that you can buy, it's like  white cream, not sure if it will work though, but i'm pretty certain it wouldn't damge the tarmac as it's not solvent based, I think this would be your best bet as it's designed for things like gloss etc

Not sure where to buy it in bulk though, i know that chemicals ltd sell it but theyre quite expensive

http://www.centurywise.co.uk/view.asp?pid=123

mike roberts

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »

Thks looks good ... still have problem of stopping traffic driving over stripper dwell time 30 min !!
b4 wash off  ??? ???

Kenny83

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »

Thks looks good ... still have problem of stopping traffic driving over stripper dwell time 30 min !!
b4 wash off  ??? ???

i'd just do something simple like cover it with a large rubber mat, or sheet across the road wih bricks holdong it down, would be tempted to go with some rubber matts, or even old carpet as a sheet could possibly get wrapped round someones wheel!
apply the stripper, cover it with mat/carpet (if using carpet i would put a visqueen sheet under to stop the stripper soaking up into the carpet), leave it for your dwell (longer the better), then wash off. Also I would aggitate it half way through the dwell time, doing this would also let you see how it's working
hope it works for you mate
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:01 pm »
pics of prob... yer mayb able to cover work in sections....

Andy Foster

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »
Hi Mike

On this sort of tarmac you should be able to get rid of that using a hot pressure washer (steam).  I have done loads of this outside Homebase stores and never had a problem with melting the tarmac.
It is not your domestic rubbish, this is industrial tarmac and doesn't give as easy as the cheap stuff they put on your drive.

You still need to go carefully, but you shouldn't have any problems with using steam.
No chemicals to worry about either.

Andy