easy clean

Block Pave Cleaning
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:01:54 pm »
after cleaning and resanding block paving, i want to treat the clean surface with an anti growth treatment to stop any weeds growing back through. the solution is diluted in water so its gonna be the same as watering the drive literally. is it advisable to do this straight away or should i wait until all surface sand has gone? or is there another solution?

thanks in advance.

Roger Oakley

Re: block pave cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:09:41 pm »
I would do a bit more research if I was you, as there should be NO sand left on the surface after re-sanding block paving.

easy clean

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:39:37 pm »

I don't mean lots of sand but there's always gonna be some left on the surface and if you was to pour water on it surely it'd make it all go messy

mike roberts

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:15 pm »
What  ??? ??? as Roger says if you re sand properly why would there be sand left on the blocks  ???

Sorry whats the solution you are using  ???

Blast Away

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »
Nothing will stop weeds.

Kenny83

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »
by a leaf blower to blow surface sand off, alot easier then brushing! And if you were putting weedkiller down, (which I don't bother as they will grow back as sand is the ideal bedding for them) I would be tempted to put it down staight after the wash, before you sand.
Also I think you need some kind of licence to put weed killer down as a business? not sure though, would be interested to know if there is a weedkiller available that can be applied by someone without a licence?
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

easy clean

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:22:05 pm »
its a product called chikita, its meant to stop growth of weeds. what do other guys do?

mike roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 07:00:11 am »
Chikita is a residual and works really well bloody expensive - can last for 6 mths - we use it combined with roundup pro spray using knapsack sell as seperate service as a weed kill program. There are restrictions on its use - need license Pa1/ Pa6.

Generally after wash we spray round up pro to kill any remaining weeds before resand.

If any contractor uses a Knapsack require a license - law  :o - crazy but there you go.

Simon@Pristine Pathways

Re: Block Pave Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 11:27:10 am »
How do you get a licence? what law are you breaking? are there weedkiller police around i dont know about? 

easy clean

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 11:29:40 am »
WMike, do you have a contact number I could call you on, would like to ask a few questions you may be able to answer for me, many thanks

mike roberts

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 05:46:31 pm »
How do you get a licence? what law are you breaking? are there weedkiller police around i dont know about? 
;D ;D ;D ;D very funny  ;D ;D or maybe not ;D

If youre a contractor spraying pesticides you need a NPTC pesticides certificate of competence - uk law. I found this out about 5 yrs ago initially same as you thought it was a joke ;D  ;D ;Dworking on a private road one resident (Nutter!) asked for a license (she knew her stuff fair play i didnt)  Enviro agency almost got involved  :o I quickly got license ;D i think it cost around £300 2 day course! We use it now as another service 3 mth weed kill program gooood money. ;D ;D

So yer if someone knows their stuff 'weed killer police' and reports you, you can be in real serious s##t - not so funny now is it  ;)

It is crazy as you can use a knapsack at your home no law - as soon as you work for someone else contractor you need it - law.

mike roberts

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 05:50:42 pm »
WMike, do you have a contact number I could call you on, would like to ask a few questions you may be able to answer for me, many thanks

Questions 4 u are u just starting up - have u used Chikita before ? How did you get it without license ? suppliers are supposed to ask you for license! If you spray that in wrong area - drift u can easily wipe out lawns! b carefull!

Simon@Pristine Pathways

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »
Mike, i wasnt trying to be funny. i do loads of weed killing commercial and domestic. noone has asked for a licence so far, or when i buy it?

Kenny83

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
is there anyway round this law? Like a loophole....? say... if i didn't use a knapsack and run it through the chemical pick up on my washer? That wouldn't be a knapsack... or is the law against spraying the weedkiller, not just using the knapsack?
Pressure Washing -
www.powerwashcleaning.co.uk

mike roberts

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 09:37:40 pm »
sorry mate i can be a bit arsey sometimes ;D

Most washers are unaware that you need this licence until some smart arse points it out (guess its my turn ;D ;D)

The law is an arse as well sometimes - if you spray pesticides as a contractor you need to have licence Nptc... (if you do it at home ;D ;D u dont need one) suppliers should ask if you have a licence most dont bother as not their problem they want the sale! We have only be asked once, trouble is if you are caught spraying by enviro agency you havent got certificate/licence I dont think ignorance will save you.

To spray for the councils they ask for this certificate Nptc pa1 to spray using knapsack is i think the pa6 part. check on net

Its all crazy most of the stuff we use is pretty safe ie round up pro we spray stronger chemicals carpet cleaning - no licence required and thats in peoples houses!