dazmond

the talk is of 6 months now........for those that employ surely its time for a rethink? (1 man,1 van)and send them out if you can to save your business?...... ???
price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

Re: maybe a 6 month lockdown/restrictions...will some of you go back?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:16:26 am »
If you were an employee you might not want to be ‘sent out’

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:18 am »
“Daddy what did you do during the pandemic”

Bugger all son I just carried on didn’t affect me.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:41 am »
No re-think - lockdown will get stricter before it eases off

It's been barely a week - thats not even a third of the time of the original "lockdown"  so as yet things stay the same  - most of my guys have other half that work in care or the NHS - they know they need to stay at home for the greater good

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

simon w

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 08:25:53 am »

It's been barely a week - thats not even a third of the time of the original "lockdown"  so as yet things stay the same  - most of my guys have other half that work in care or the NHS - they know they need to stay at home for the greater good

Darran

Are they all still on full pay Darran? How many of them are there? How long do you think it'll be before all of your business income stops? Will you be using savings or overdraft to pay wages? If these questions are too personal I'll understand you not wanting to answer them mate

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:21 am »
Everyone was paid in full to the end of the month.

they are all no of furlough including myself (5) we have one on zero hours - at the present time IF things go as they should then we will pay the 80% and claim back ( hopefully this is paid before the following months wages are due ) the zero hours chap I believe will get an average of his last 3 months @ 80% - TBH im still sceptical that the gov. will ever reimberse but time will tell.

Our situation is this ( no Bragging, no BS just honest as to where we are )

We just completed the busiest 3 months we have ever had - completing over 200K of work - unfortunately 80% of that has been for the leisure industry (holiday parks etc) I have in excess of 60K outstanding, if I get paid then things are not so bad - if I don't then I will have to hold on.
Im looking at the business loans, but these seem to be a waste of time applying for at the present as the banks are not playing ball, then finally we may get the 10k grant being a ltd co. and have premises - if that happens it will all go to help keep the lads with wages

When we stopped last Tuesday I had 25K of work on hold ( not including the reg. windows ) so I would love to get going but not t the risk of getting corona

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

deeege

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:05 am »

Darran

I don’t know what area you work Darran but in my area there would be literally no point in making the guidelines any stricter. People are 100% abiding by them in the semi rural area where I live.

Making them stricter will have such a negative impact on people’s lives, creating a whole new bunch of problems, for very little benefit.

What’s it like where you are?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:35 am »
Much the same as Deeege for me in a rural part of scotland.

It’s a ghost town. People are listening.

The more research I’m doing, the more I’m thinking the experts are right in saying April 5th will be the peak. Then we will see a decline.

I do think this exact lockdown that we are all under will continue for many months though. A stricter lockdown will have a worse effect, not better.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:51 am »
I'm not sure if they will get stricter either, I think they will want to keep the economy running to some extent unless the virus gets totally out of hand.

I think they want a certain amount of infections just at a controlled level, people getting it and getting better may provide some immunity.

Anyway time will tell, and 6 months isn't news, anyone who thought this would be weeks is kidding themselves but hope I'm wrong.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:23 am »
hopefully you ll still have most of your customers to go back to if it does go to 6 months......ill work through the next 6 months doing my normal part time hours if allowed.....

if the lockdown does become more restrictive(so i have no choice to go to work)then obviously ill be sitting it out like some of you guys.....but personally i dont  think a more restrictive lockdown will be for long due to the mega serious impact on the economy.....

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:38 am »
I'm not sure if they will get stricter either, I think they will want to keep the economy running to some extent unless the virus gets totally out of hand.

It's eerily out this morning.

Anyway time will tell, and 6 months isn't news, anyone who thought this would be weeks is kidding themselves but hope I'm wrong.

For me this is why I’m working shortened hours, but keeping on working.

Could be like this for 6 months quite easily I think, and I still don’t think I’m eligible for the 80% grant.

Time will tell. 
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

deeege

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 08:54:52 am »

Could be like this for 6 months quite easily I think, and I still don’t think I’m eligible for the 80% grant.

Time will tell.

Why don’t you think you’ll be eligible Jonny? I won’t be either.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 08:57:43 am »

Time will tell.

If you can believe what you read on other forums and Facebook (I know you can’t) then a few sole traders have had their accountants say they aren’t eligible.

My feeling is that because we can still work we aren’t covered,

And most importantly I haven’t heard or read anything from hmrc that says I am.

I think we will be part of the 5% that aren’t covered. Who knows though yet?  ???

Missing Link

Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 09:20:54 am »
the talk is of 6 months now........for those that employ surely its time for a rethink? (1 man,1 van)and send them out if you can to save your business?...... ???

Daz.

I know that to some this post may seem harsh but the motive is  to help you get a better perspective. Your overcoming family dynamics and working hard and getting on in life is much to be admired and over the years you have been an inspiration on this forum - I know there are times when I have not felt like going out to work and your positive attitude has fired me to get out there on days when I haven't felt like it.

This Corona situation is different. Our internal compasses often swing back to our default settings in a crisis - and to quote Captain Blackadder "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'.

For someone who believes they are "doing ok" you seem to have an obsession with the subject of working or not working and justifying, even reinforcing your decision to "crack on regardless" - even haranguing others on the forum to follow suit.

Having read your description of your Dad's life being in mortal danger, your mum's need for support and the deeply concerning actions of your parents with regard to spreading coronavirus perhaps now is the time for self-reflection and attending to family needs rather than sounding off on here?

If you wish to work then I understand that within social distancing rules government guidelines allow this. I also understand others view it as unnecessary work in the current circumstances. Please respect their decisions as you would wish yours respected.

It seems you will be having added pressures to cope with and I cannot help but think that persistently posting antithetical views which contribute to forum polarisation helps no-one - not least yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with everything Daz.
It's a game of three halves!

gary999

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 09:42:39 am »
They stated at the press conference yesterday they were happy with the general compliance at this point..by the way the deputy
medical officer was talking can't see there being a complete lockdown over 6months or increassed measure unless necessary..i have no doubt this lock down will go on longer than 3 weeks but over the long term if numbers of infected drop if the present measures have worked we will be subject to various measures..likely reverting back to social distancing then if there is a bump in the road approaching back to lockdown....My current position on working now is .. we are entering the surge weeks towards peak of infection..with the death toll climbing rapidly and real fear and over reaction kicking in to the general populace i'm going to sit these initial 3 weeks out and then reassess then. If numbers of infected/deaths turn a corner for the better ..likely i will return to work.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:58 am »

Daz.

I know that to some this post may seem harsh but the motive is  to help you get a better perspective. Your overcoming family dynamics and working hard and getting on in life is much to be admired and over the years you have been an inspiration on this forum - I know there are times when I have not felt like going out to work and your positive attitude has fired me to get out there on days when I haven't felt like it.

This Corona situation is different. Our internal compasses often swing back to our default settings in a crisis - and to quote Captain Blackadder "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'.

For someone who believes they are "doing ok" you seem to have an obsession with the subject of working or not working and justifying, even reinforcing your decision to "crack on regardless" - even haranguing others on the forum to follow suit.

Having read your description of your Dad's life being in mortal danger, your mum's need for support and the deeply concerning actions of your parents with regard to spreading coronavirus perhaps now is the time for self-reflection and attending to family needs rather than sounding off on here?

If you wish to work then I understand that within social distancing rules government guidelines allow this. I also understand others view it as unnecessary work in the current circumstances. Please respect their decisions as you would wish yours respected.

It seems you will be having added pressures to cope with and I cannot help but think that persistently posting antithetical views which contribute to forum polarisation helps no-one - not least yourself.

If we could have a vote for best post of the year, for me this would be it!

Dry Clean

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 10:27:13 am »

Time will tell.

If you can believe what you read on other forums and Facebook (I know you can’t) then a few sole traders have had their accountants say they aren’t eligible.

I think we will be part of the 5% that aren’t covered. Who knows though yet?  ???

The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:08 am »

Daz.

If we could have a vote for best post of the year, for me this would be it!

You're easily pleased John.

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:43 am »
”The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.“

I’m not entirely convinced of that argument. For many factories and businesses an overnight closure would prove difficult. Many have commitments to customers I would imagine and so probably have run till friday just gone to complete orders and tie up the business. Depends on what they are producing too.
A bed company near me kept running all week. For all I know they could be supplying mattresses to the hospitals?

G Griffin

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:49 am »
Blow a whistle and send 'them over the top'?
It might not be the best time to do this- ordering new vans, systems, poles, contracts, insurance etc.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:10 am »
”The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.“

I’m not entirely convinced of that argument. For many factories and businesses an overnight closure would prove difficult. Many have commitments to customers I would imagine and so probably have run till friday just gone to complete orders and tie up the business. Depends on what they are producing too.
A bed company near me kept running all week. For all I know they could be supplying mattresses to the hospitals?

Good point. A friend of mine works selling glass for a glass manufacturer. His company continued until last Friday completing orders and I believe the factory shut Friday and final deliveries go out today and tomorrow. My friend was instructed to stop selling glass by the end of last Tuesday.

He is self employed and his accountant says he qualifies for the £2,500 S/E payment as his three year "profit" average scrapes under the 50K limit.

The factory workers laid off on Friday and the delivery drivers laid off tomorrow get Furloughed.

Interestingly many of the deliveries couldn't be made to the double glazing unit manufacturers because they had shut up their shops and sent their workers home.

Now - making double glazed units doesn't generally seem to be a necessary occupation (unless they are being used in a new hospital?) and so they have shut.

Do you really think the government is going to say to these businesses that they could have continued so that Mr and Mrs Homecastle can have their new conservatory or replacement windows?

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:02 am »
Here you go, if you have lost trading profits/income due to Covid-19 you are eligible. I have and so according to the Gov, I am eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme
Comfortably Numb!

Granny

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »
The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed, you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
There will be many of us who " have  lost business due to government actions over the virus" O.K we haven't been forced to close but ringing round this morning seeing who's open for tomorrow's work there are loads of places closed for 12 weeks.
I may still be working whenever I can but the loss is real.

JackieW

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 12:19:39 pm »
I thought it  was ''lost income due to coronavirus'' .

So if i get coronavirus and so do other members of my household which means I have to self isolate, for an extended period,
if  customers say please leave it for a while because of coronavirus,
if my supplier cannot supply me with resin because of the coronavirus,
surely I will have ''lost income due to coronavirus'' and therefore should be able to make a claim. Doesn't mean the claim will be accepted of course.

What it is not clear is if I decide of my own volition to down tools for three months? :)

James Styles

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 12:36:50 pm »
I don’t think lockdown will happen for 6 months, more like 2 months then social distancing

G Griffin

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 12:50:30 pm »

So if i get coronavirus and so do other members of my household which means I have to self isolate, for an extended period,
surely I will have ''lost income due to coronavirus'' and therefore should be able to make a claim. Doesn't mean the claim will be accepted of course.

What it is not clear is if I decide of my own volition to down tools for three months? :)
You've been asked to stay home though. And what's to say that you won't be affected later in the year because of corona and you've already received the grant?
As things stand, I think the grant is a one-off payment for most self employed people and I think some are being a bit too suspicious.
We're still at the beginning of this. 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 01:51:28 pm »

It not an argument Dave, I'm not saying that factory's staying open is a black and white issue, I'm just explaining what the DUP said in regards to the 80% pay out and why they felt the need to clarify it to the public.

Dry Clean

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 02:03:42 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing, if you employ and walk away from work then your employees get nothing, that has been made brutally clear by the DUP MP's in N. Ireland, believe me if they where wrong or lying the BBC would have pointed it out.

davids3511

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 02:45:57 pm »

You've been asked to stay home though. And what's to say that you won't be affected later in the year because of corona and you've already received the grant?
As things stand, I think the grant is a one-off payment for most self employed people and I think some are being a bit too suspicious.
You haven't been asked to stay at home, your making a moral decision to stay at home against government guidelines.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »

Time will tell.

My accountant said unless the government have a major re-think on the support package (which is highly unlikely)I will definitely be elegible whether I’m working or not.

Dave Willis

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »

It not an argument Dave, I'm not saying that factory's staying open is a black and white issue, I'm just explaining what the DUP said in regards to the 80% pay out and why they felt the need to clarify it to the public.

That’s ok Dry Clean, prob the wrong word there 👍

Crystal-clear

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 03:44:47 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing, if you employ and walk away from work then your employees get nothing, that has been made brutally clear by the DUP MP's in N. Ireland, believe me if they where wrong or lying the BBC would have pointed it out.

This is a good statement I'd be well surprised if we drop tools to get back dated 80% payouts. Thats because the whole country can do the same cant see how that can be sustained. Those business told to cease trade or semi trade such as restaurants to go take out only.
But those told not to specifically stop  ??

Paul-kent

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:56 pm »
Social distancing cash payment issue sorted   ;D ;D ;D

Slacky

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 03:55:41 pm »
Thats a 20lb’er.

You should’ve seen the one that got away.

Dry Clean

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:54 pm »
For anybody interested heres the link

Democratic Unionist Party - Decisions on manufacturing ...
https://www.facebook.com/democraticunionistparty/videos/350738669198287

DAERA Minister Edwin Poots on BBC Sunday Politics. Only businesses severely impacted by COVID-19 can avail of the 80% employment support grant. If you are calling on some other businesses to close you may be asking workers to go home and receive no pay.

Paul-kent

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 04:18:59 pm »
Thats a 20lb’er.

You should’ve seen the one that got away.

Took me around 20 min to land that sucker couldn’t do that working from home  :-X :-X

G Griffin

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:52 pm »

You haven't been asked to stay at home, your making a moral decision to stay at home against government guidelines.
You've interpreted the message differently to me then, David.
How am I going against government guidelines? I didn't go out for food today, so is that going against government guidelines, too?
And you don't know my situation, so don't tell me it's a moral decision. If I went to work I would be going against government guidelines. Would you like me to explain?
And are you saying that I wouldn't be eligible for the government grant by not working and breaking the government guidelines, in doing so?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing,
I'm not having that.
How can they possibly police that?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

p1w1

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 05:22:58 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing,
I'm not having that.
more second-guessing I'm afraid, like nearly every other topic regarding all the virus problems.

p1w1

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 05:26:58 pm »

I'm not having that.
They simply can't.

Shrek

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »
Germany has got testing spot on.

They plan to test hundreds of thousands for the presence of the antibodies and issue 'Immunity Certificates' to those who test positive-allowing their work to be exempt from the lockdown.

This information will be a huge weapon against the virus.

Dave Willis

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 07:15:23 pm »
Does that mean there’s going to be a mad rush to catch it ?????
Or are you saying some are naturally immune without catching it.
Confused

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:22 pm »
Germany has got testing spot on.

They plan to test hundreds of thousands for the presence of the antibodies and issue 'Immunity Certificates' to those who test positive-allowing their work to be exempt from the lockdown.

This information will be a huge weapon against the virus.

i agree...lets hope they get this implemented over here ASAP.......

Dave Willis

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 07:18:53 pm »
Even if immune you can still carry it from place to place surely?

dazmond

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2020, 07:20:11 pm »
Confused

do you not know anybody whos had the virus and recovered  yet dave?........one of my customers today said both her and her husband have had it....they are both well now........they reckon 80% of the population will get it... my mum has also recovered from it....

CleanClear

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2020, 07:33:26 pm »
Tescos now issued notices to their staff to inform Police (if stopped) they are essential workers going to work and detailing their shift times. Thats where we are headed, can't see them doing that for fun.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Dave Willis

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2020, 07:39:57 pm »

Confused

do you not know anybody whos had the virus and recovered  yet dave?........one of my customers today said both her and her husband have had it....they are both well now........they reckon 80% of the population will get it... my mum has also recovered from it....

No I don’t personally know anyone who’s proven to have it near me. What I don’t get is how some recover and yet others who are healthy die from it.
I still don’t understand the German theory do you?

G Griffin

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2020, 09:45:28 pm »
Even if immune you can still carry it from place to place surely?
I don't think they know a lot about immunity yet.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Slacky

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:32 pm »
Thing is about testing people and they are shown to have anti-body resistance is they cant then go out there and carry on as if these restrictions wern’t  happening ir anyone else was in any danger. Those people  can still be carriers even once the virus had left their body.

Its not as plain sailing as it might initially appear.

Slacky

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:13 pm »
Its about herd immunity not individual immunity.

dazmond

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 10:34:07 pm »
the testings dodgy too......they swab your mouth and if they dont find anything they give you the all clear(like they did with my dad)and sent him home......they then phoned him up later that day and said they found the virus in his sputum that he d coughed up off his chest..... ::)roll

Slacky

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:56 pm »
They’re never going to detect it immediately Daz. The test takes time. A few days ago the test they were using took 3 days.

Your Dads experience sounds par for the course.

G Griffin

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2020, 01:10:29 am »
A science-led scientist has modelled that we might develop agoraphobia after six months confinement.
The longest that I've ever done before is a four month stretch in Walton, That was for not going to work during a 'Stay Home' lockdown. But I was let down badly my briefs; they kept falling down in court. And my solicitor was useless; he had about as much idea about the law as a window cleaner.
I don't believe the science-led scientist though. I won't catch agoraphobia; I love spiders.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

edward1

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2020, 01:35:25 am »
I know I'm not getting any help as earnt over 50k for last few yrs.
so I'm going to continue although not a full round.

deeege

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2020, 07:58:10 am »
A science-led scientist has modelled that we might develop agoraphobia after six months confinement.
The longest that I've ever done before is a four month stretch in Walton, That was for not going to work during a 'Stay Home' lockdown. But I was let down badly my briefs; they kept falling down in court. And my solicitor was useless; he had about as much idea about the law as a window cleaner.
I don't believe the science-led scientist though. I won't catch agoraphobia; I love spiders.

We’re just coming upto day 8 and agoraphobia has already kicked in for a few people on here, It’s scary to think what they will be like after 3+ months.

Missing Link

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2020, 09:49:40 am »
We’re just coming upto day 8 and agoraphobia has already kicked in for a few people on here, It’s scary to think what they will be like after 3+ months.

Curled up, hands around their knees, rocking in a corner of their front room.

:'(

AuRavelling79

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2020, 10:39:43 am »
"March 27, 2020, 08:30:42 pm »
I closed on Tuesday and felt it right to shut but as I read the advice from the government I can see the guidance to work as well if you aren't specifically shut down.

I have two opposing feelings...  One is to stay at home and show solidarity with that over-arching view and two... to work and not be an unnecessary financial drain on the country's coffers.

I am thinking of returning to work next week as I believe that 75% of my round can be done with no risk to my customers but if deaths and an increasing number of cases are the catalyst for a more emotional shift in opinion I may defer."

I posted that on Friday. At that point I had seen "Our Nicola" saying window cleaners and gardeners may work and read government advice that occupations not specifically banned should work.

Having seen the "meeja" headline "heavy handed Police tactics", ITV's Coronavirus Q&A that (via Choi) window cleaners may work and the "Metro" headline I feel there is now a public awareness that working is allowed.

I personally know 3 less "comfortable financially" relative window cleaners who at the end of last week restarted and who are working but who are circumnavigating commercials who largely say "no" or who have shut and a minority of customers who say no.

My compass is swinging towards maybe I "should" work but is till magnetically pulled by "stay at home".

Undecided here but not worried about being undecided.

"Not getting a payout" - certainly during this three week period is no concern to me because ...

A) I believe I will be paid (as I have experience of several non-banned companies furloughing their staff and shutting shop) as the HMRC have emailed me to what I believe is that effect.

B) I (hopefully) have another smaller income.

C) I have enough financial resources to last and beyond.

So I have the luxury of sitting on the fence and painting it.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2020, 10:41:06 am »

Is that after expenses? As in "Profit" before paying yourself.

JackieW

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2020, 12:24:15 pm »
I closed on Tuesday and felt it right to shut but as I read the advice from the government I can see the guidance to work as well if you aren't specifically shut down.

I have two opposing feelings...  One is to stay at home and show solidarity with that over-arching view and two... to work and not be an unnecessary financial drain on the country's coffers.

I am thinking of returning to work next week as I believe that 75% of my round can be done with no risk to my customers but if deaths and an increasing number of cases are the catalyst for a more emotional shift in opinion I may defer."

I posted that on Friday. At that point I had seen "Our Nicola" saying window cleaners and gardeners may work and read government advice that occupations not specifically banned should work.

Having seen the "meeja" headline "heavy handed Police tactics", ITV's Coronavirus Q&A that (via Choi) window cleaners may work and the "Metro" headline I feel there is now a public awareness that working is allowed.

I personally know 3 less "comfortable financially" relative window cleaners who at the end of last week restarted and who are working but who are circumnavigating commercials who largely say "no" or who have shut and a minority of customers who say no.

My compass is swinging towards maybe I "should" work but is till magnetically pulled by "stay at home".

"Not getting a payout" - certainly during this three week period is no concern to me because ...

A) I believe I will be paid (as I have experience of several non-banned companies furloughing their staff and shutting shop) as the HMRC have emailed me to what I believe is that effect.

That's my thoughts  and position  exactly. It frightens me how similar my views are to yours.

Shrek

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2020, 01:21:19 pm »
I’m so glad I don’t lease anything or have any large bills!

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2020, 01:21:26 pm »
Tescos now issued notices to their staff to inform Police (if stopped) they are essential workers going to work and detailing their shift times. Thats where we are headed, can't see them doing that for fun.

It's just their due diligence in case it happens.   
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

AuRavelling79

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2020, 12:29:31 am »

That's my thoughts  and position  exactly. It frightens me how similar my views are to yours.

Common background?  ;)

G Griffin

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2020, 01:06:55 am »
I'm surprised at how things have changed since last Thursday. I'm sure that the government will come through on the payment.
I didn't realise that there'd be so many jittery people; especially being self employed.
If you have to earn, go to work and explain your position if you have to.
Even Sturgeon told you that life shouldn't seem normal.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:21 am »
On a positive note.... it's lovely, quiet and a much more sensible arena now Tosh has had his wee backside spanked and sent to the naughty room!! Can only hope Gold loses the key!👍💪💪
Comfortably Numb!

G Griffin

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2020, 01:24:20 am »
On a positive note.... it's lovely, quiet and a much more sensible arena now Tosh has had his wee backside spanked and sent to the naughty room!! Can only hope Gold loses the key!👍💪💪
I'm not sure about that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

deeege

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2020, 06:43:44 am »
I'm surprised at how things have changed since last Thursday. I'm sure that the government will come through on the payment.
I didn't realise that there'd be so many jittery people; especially being self employed.

This amazes me also.

I’ve not really involved myself in the should I / shouldn’t I argument on here, everyone has different reasons to need to work and not need to work but the amount of people that seem to live hand to mouth is amazing. Especially when every time a pricing post pops up and most people are a lot more expensive than me.

What is everyone doing with their money? I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I was only one twisted ankle or broken foot away from not paying my bills or being evicted.

In the ‘what will you change about your business when things return to normal’ thread there wasn’t a single person that said they’d like to get a bit of money behind them to stop living hand to mouth. This should be every self employed persons top priority.

Dry Clean

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2020, 07:39:54 am »

This amazes me also.

I’ve not really involved myself in the should I / shouldn’t I argument on here, everyone has different reasons to need to work and not need to work but the amount of people that seem to live hand to mouth is amazing. Especially when every time a pricing post pops up and most people are a lot more expensive than me.

What is everyone doing with their money? I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I was only one twisted ankle or broken foot away from not paying my bills or being evicted.

In the ‘what will you change about your business when things return to normal’ thread there wasn’t a single person that said they’d like to get a bit of money behind them to stop living hand to mouth. This should be every self employed persons top priority.

Hand to mouth has nothing to do with it deeege, guys like Griff have decided not to work and are full of bile because others aren't doing the same,  I am able to keep to the social distancing rules (which is the important factor in this) and continue working so it would be nothing more than laziness if I didn't go out.

Stoots

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2020, 07:40:00 am »

This amazes me also.

Whilst that will be the case for some not everyone who chooses to work will live hand to mouth.

We all have our reasons.

Maybe people want to work because they don't warn to be stuck in the house or they want to save their money and not spend it. Some may be getting a payout and some wont.

Just because you earn decent money and have savings doesn't automatically mean you want to sit at home.

As for being jittery, that's down to personality. I'm naturally a worrier and anxious person who always fears the worse. whereas others will be laid back and chilled about it all.

Jonny 87

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2020, 07:45:04 am »
Good points made above.

I’m certainly not living hand to mouth, but I feel using savings now when I don’t need to would be foolish.

What happens when after a few months of normality another pandemic was to hit? A pandemic which means we absolutely can’t work?

We are being told to work while practicing safe distancing. That’s what a lot of us are doing.
We might not be as fortunate to work if there is a next time.

Assess each situation and act accordingly.

That’s what we are all doing.

Neither are wrong if it works for you. 👍

deeege

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2020, 07:48:20 am »
Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying Gomo/ Dry Clean/Jonny.

Whilst there are people that actually desperately need to work to pay their bills, their are also plenty that have decided to work for other reasons. (In no way am I saying that everyone out working is living hand to mouth)

I was just pointing out that a situation like this actually highlights the amount of people that seem to live hand to mouth.

dazmond

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2020, 08:30:26 am »
I spent many years living hand to mouth when I was a drinking alcoholic.i also got into a fair bit of debt 15 or so years ago.......I never want to go back to those days.....

So for me it's just instinctive to go to work and keep earning.....the low level anxiety felt by many of us is due to not knowing how long these restrictions will be in place......this will be devastating for my missus business,stepdaughter and stepson....their incomes have vanished overnight with no sign of it coming back in the near future(non essential shop and pub/club work)........so being in a position where I can help financially is a must......

Its took me 10 years to turn my window cleaning round into what it is today........I'm not gonna let it slide if we ve been given the ok off the government to keep working......

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2020, 08:55:30 am »

What’d I miss  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2020, 08:56:54 am »

Errr ... being on a last warning is not the same as actually being in the naughty room. Some people step back from the brink. Maybe they self isolate for a while?  ;)

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2020, 09:46:21 am »
I put my guys back to work this Monday.

We will carry on working through now unless we are asked to close when I will do so immediately.

We closed down last week when i believed it was what the government was asking us to do.

When I read what they had put on the Gov website it was clear to me that they are encouraging us to go in to work if we can do so safety with distancing etc. All our customers pay us by DD so there's no need for face to face at all.

My wife and family are NHS and I have heard that side of it and am not taking the C19 thing lightly. In fact I was an NHS health care professional for 5 years.

However if the government are asking us to carry on working if we can I see this as doing our bit.

We are about to start helping our local veg store with their deliveries business too. I have offered my staff and vans to help them through this bump.

R

iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2020, 10:04:23 am »
"We are about to start helping our local veg store with their deliveries business too. I have offered my staff and vans to help them through this bump."

Only an ex-healthcare professional with inside knowledge could use understatement like that!  ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2020, 11:00:45 am »

This amazes me also.

Morning, deeege, it was more about the panic of some people.
Understandably, many were worried about how they'd cope financially. But the government have promised reasonable assistance for at least three months. People were relieved, briefly, but then panic sets again because they can't wait for the money or they don't believe the government. I think there's more to it than money.
If someone has to go and earn, fair enough, just go and do it. You don't need to justify it.
If you want to work for your own sake, again, I understand. Some people just want normality in these testing times but you don't need to explain yourselves by telling us the weather was great, everyone was pleased to see you etc.
During some low points in my life, I've gone to work simply because it was a taste of normality. Reminding myself of what life was like before and what it could be again.

Some of the hardest hit, like yourself, have handled the crisis better than a lot of others.
Respect to you.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:54 am »

This amazes me also.

Hand to mouth has nothing to do with it deeege, guys like Griff have decided not to work and are full of bile because others aren't doing the same,  I am able to keep to the social distancing rules (which is the important factor in this) and continue working so it would be nothing more than laziness if I didn't go out.
Bile? Don't be silly, Dryo.
I have my reasons for not working and I'll willingly go through them with you. Some of these reasons are out of my hands, as well.
At the moment, I know my position and there's no room for any doubts. This is the biggest crisis that we will ever face, hopefully, and I can, and have to, stay at home. Tackling the spread of the virus is the most essential thing. Look at the news, lad, it's not just me.
That could all change in a few weeks or months though.
If you think I'm full of bile, it's because you're having doubts about working. That's not my fault.
Just go and do it, I'm not here to make you feel better about it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

edward1

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:24 am »

Is that after expenses? As in "Profit" before paying yourself.

yes earnt earnt around 60/64 I think after costs, work 6 days mostly 350 /400 most days. paid 19 in tax.

only household income with 2 kids left at home and wife volunteers at local hospice.

and no help from govt. I have some savings so will carry on working and use savings of I need,

but yes that was  my personal taxable income as a sole trader

deeege

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2020, 12:41:06 pm »

This amazes me also.

Morning, deeege, it was more about the panic of some people.
Understandably, many were worried about how they'd cope financially. But the government have promised reasonable assistance for at least three months. People are relieved, briefly, but then panic sets again because they can't wait for the money or they don't believe the government. I think there's more to it than money.
If someone has to go and earn, fair enough, just go and do it. You don't need to justify it.
If you want to work for your own sake, again, I understand. Some people just want normality in these testing times but you don't need to explain yourselves by telling us the weather was great, everyone was pleased to see you etc.
During some low points in my life, I've gone to work simply because it was a taste of normality. Reminding myself of what life was life before and what it could be again.

Some of the hardest hit, like yourself, have handled the crisis better than a lot of others.
Respect to you.

I fully understand also if some want to work and some don’t, and there will be, like you say, many different factors for each individual that helps them make a decision. I respect that decision that each individual makes also. For some it will be an easy decision and for some far more difficult.

For me personally, I don’t need to work, I’m ok financially and would dip into my savings if needed, but that’s just one factor in making my decision.

After it’s been made clear that I won’t receive any financial support I’ve made the decision to carry on with the commercial work which I’m able to clean. I’ve done 2 short days this week and it has earnt me enough to cover my modest monthly outgoings (not including my mortgage which is on hold for 3 months)

Next week I have most of my domestic work due and I havnt made a decision on what to do about that yet. Tbh I will probably just crack on with a day on Monday like i usually would and make the call on the rest of the week depending on how Monday goes.

Each of us don’t know another persons family/financial/business priorities so let’s not judge others on the decisions they make.

The groups on FB are unbearable at the moment for this reason, the crowd on here is better than that. ✌️

Missing Link

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:53 pm »

You stupid idiot. ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2020, 12:50:37 pm »
FB has always been a no go area for me.
A lot of mindless time wasting morons on there, not all, but a large percentage  :(

Missing Link

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2020, 12:51:52 pm »
Errr ... being on a last warning is not the same as actually being in the naughty room. Some people step back from the brink. Maybe they self isolate for a while?  ;)

Or maybe they've got 30 feet of picket fence to remove and replace?

Shrek

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2020, 01:19:52 pm »
Social distancing works.

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine estimate that before the lockdown one positive person would infect 2.6 other people.

Now it's just 0.62.

This means the virus is cornered - it has nowhere to go and will burn out. Good news.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2020, 01:41:16 pm »
Social distancing works.

The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine estimate that before the lockdown one positive person would infect 2.6 other people.

Now it's just 0.62.

This means the virus is cornered - it has nowhere to go and will burn out. Good news.

i have heard that it won't burn out.  that is why we didn't social distance from the start.

i understand a virus needs to run its course through the population. we are social distancing so that it doesn't run amok and so that the NHS can cope with the level of critical illness. we dont want too many people ill at the same time else hospitals and critical care units will be overrun and people will die needlessly.

so social distancing works, because exactly as you say it slows the amount of people getting sick, and that is what the NHS and medical advisors want us to do
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2020, 03:05:32 pm »

You stupid idiot. ;D

Damn, looks like we're in for a second wave!!😲😬
Comfortably Numb!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2020, 03:30:47 pm »
Social distancing works.

Now it's just 0.62.

It's putting up a pretty strong fight in the meantime. 563 more deaths in the UK today ...  :'(

AuRavelling79

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2020, 03:33:01 pm »

Or maybe they've got 30 feet of picket fence to remove and replace?

Why not offer to do your neighbour's across the road as well?

Shrek

« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2020, 04:22:25 pm »
Social distancing works.

Now it's just 0.62.

It's putting up a pretty strong fight in the meantime. 563 more deaths in the UK today ...  :'(

Today's death toll is tragic.

But please, don't think the lockdown is useless. It will work.

With the long incubation period of the virus it will take some time before we see the benefits.

Staying at home does make a huge difference.

Missing Link

Re: maybe a 6 month lockdown/restrictions...will some of you go back? New
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2020, 04:37:39 pm »
Social distancing works.

Now it's just 0.62.

The deaths are a time-lag; they'll follow two-or-three weeks behind any changes that were made. 

A better target indicator is the hospitals daily admittance numbers for corona problems.

Missing Link

« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2020, 04:38:25 pm »
Why not offer to do your neighbour's across the road as well?

He's posh and has brick walls.