dazmond

the talk is of 6 months now........for those that employ surely its time for a rethink? (1 man,1 van)and send them out if you can to save your business?...... ???
price higher/work harder!

Dave Willis

Re: maybe a 6 month lockdown/restrictions...will some of you go back?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:16:26 am »
If you were an employee you might not want to be ‘sent out’

Dave Willis

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:18 am »
“Daddy what did you do during the pandemic”

Bugger all son I just carried on didn’t affect me.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:20:41 am »
No re-think - lockdown will get stricter before it eases off

It's been barely a week - thats not even a third of the time of the original "lockdown"  so as yet things stay the same  - most of my guys have other half that work in care or the NHS - they know they need to stay at home for the greater good

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

simon w

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 08:25:53 am »

It's been barely a week - thats not even a third of the time of the original "lockdown"  so as yet things stay the same  - most of my guys have other half that work in care or the NHS - they know they need to stay at home for the greater good

Darran

Are they all still on full pay Darran? How many of them are there? How long do you think it'll be before all of your business income stops? Will you be using savings or overdraft to pay wages? If these questions are too personal I'll understand you not wanting to answer them mate

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:21 am »
Everyone was paid in full to the end of the month.

they are all no of furlough including myself (5) we have one on zero hours - at the present time IF things go as they should then we will pay the 80% and claim back ( hopefully this is paid before the following months wages are due ) the zero hours chap I believe will get an average of his last 3 months @ 80% - TBH im still sceptical that the gov. will ever reimberse but time will tell.

Our situation is this ( no Bragging, no BS just honest as to where we are )

We just completed the busiest 3 months we have ever had - completing over 200K of work - unfortunately 80% of that has been for the leisure industry (holiday parks etc) I have in excess of 60K outstanding, if I get paid then things are not so bad - if I don't then I will have to hold on.
Im looking at the business loans, but these seem to be a waste of time applying for at the present as the banks are not playing ball, then finally we may get the 10k grant being a ltd co. and have premises - if that happens it will all go to help keep the lads with wages

When we stopped last Tuesday I had 25K of work on hold ( not including the reg. windows ) so I would love to get going but not t the risk of getting corona

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

deeege

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:05 am »

Darran

I don’t know what area you work Darran but in my area there would be literally no point in making the guidelines any stricter. People are 100% abiding by them in the semi rural area where I live.

Making them stricter will have such a negative impact on people’s lives, creating a whole new bunch of problems, for very little benefit.

What’s it like where you are?
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Jonny 87

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:35 am »
Much the same as Deeege for me in a rural part of scotland.

It’s a ghost town. People are listening.

The more research I’m doing, the more I’m thinking the experts are right in saying April 5th will be the peak. Then we will see a decline.

I do think this exact lockdown that we are all under will continue for many months though. A stricter lockdown will have a worse effect, not better.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:51 am »
I'm not sure if they will get stricter either, I think they will want to keep the economy running to some extent unless the virus gets totally out of hand.

I think they want a certain amount of infections just at a controlled level, people getting it and getting better may provide some immunity.

Anyway time will tell, and 6 months isn't news, anyone who thought this would be weeks is kidding themselves but hope I'm wrong.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:23 am »
hopefully you ll still have most of your customers to go back to if it does go to 6 months......ill work through the next 6 months doing my normal part time hours if allowed.....

if the lockdown does become more restrictive(so i have no choice to go to work)then obviously ill be sitting it out like some of you guys.....but personally i dont  think a more restrictive lockdown will be for long due to the mega serious impact on the economy.....
price higher/work harder!

Jonny 87

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 08:51:38 am »
I'm not sure if they will get stricter either, I think they will want to keep the economy running to some extent unless the virus gets totally out of hand.

It's eerily out this morning.

Anyway time will tell, and 6 months isn't news, anyone who thought this would be weeks is kidding themselves but hope I'm wrong.

For me this is why I’m working shortened hours, but keeping on working.

Could be like this for 6 months quite easily I think, and I still don’t think I’m eligible for the 80% grant.

Time will tell. 
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

deeege

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 08:54:52 am »

Could be like this for 6 months quite easily I think, and I still don’t think I’m eligible for the 80% grant.

Time will tell.

Why don’t you think you’ll be eligible Jonny? I won’t be either.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 08:57:43 am »

Time will tell.

If you can believe what you read on other forums and Facebook (I know you can’t) then a few sole traders have had their accountants say they aren’t eligible.

My feeling is that because we can still work we aren’t covered,

And most importantly I haven’t heard or read anything from hmrc that says I am.

I think we will be part of the 5% that aren’t covered. Who knows though yet?  ???

Missing Link

Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 09:20:54 am »
the talk is of 6 months now........for those that employ surely its time for a rethink? (1 man,1 van)and send them out if you can to save your business?...... ???

Daz.

I know that to some this post may seem harsh but the motive is  to help you get a better perspective. Your overcoming family dynamics and working hard and getting on in life is much to be admired and over the years you have been an inspiration on this forum - I know there are times when I have not felt like going out to work and your positive attitude has fired me to get out there on days when I haven't felt like it.

This Corona situation is different. Our internal compasses often swing back to our default settings in a crisis - and to quote Captain Blackadder "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'.

For someone who believes they are "doing ok" you seem to have an obsession with the subject of working or not working and justifying, even reinforcing your decision to "crack on regardless" - even haranguing others on the forum to follow suit.

Having read your description of your Dad's life being in mortal danger, your mum's need for support and the deeply concerning actions of your parents with regard to spreading coronavirus perhaps now is the time for self-reflection and attending to family needs rather than sounding off on here?

If you wish to work then I understand that within social distancing rules government guidelines allow this. I also understand others view it as unnecessary work in the current circumstances. Please respect their decisions as you would wish yours respected.

It seems you will be having added pressures to cope with and I cannot help but think that persistently posting antithetical views which contribute to forum polarisation helps no-one - not least yourself.

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with everything Daz.
It's a game of three halves!

gary999

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 09:42:39 am »
They stated at the press conference yesterday they were happy with the general compliance at this point..by the way the deputy
medical officer was talking can't see there being a complete lockdown over 6months or increassed measure unless necessary..i have no doubt this lock down will go on longer than 3 weeks but over the long term if numbers of infected drop if the present measures have worked we will be subject to various measures..likely reverting back to social distancing then if there is a bump in the road approaching back to lockdown....My current position on working now is .. we are entering the surge weeks towards peak of infection..with the death toll climbing rapidly and real fear and over reaction kicking in to the general populace i'm going to sit these initial 3 weeks out and then reassess then. If numbers of infected/deaths turn a corner for the better ..likely i will return to work.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 09:59:58 am »

Daz.

I know that to some this post may seem harsh but the motive is  to help you get a better perspective. Your overcoming family dynamics and working hard and getting on in life is much to be admired and over the years you have been an inspiration on this forum - I know there are times when I have not felt like going out to work and your positive attitude has fired me to get out there on days when I haven't felt like it.

This Corona situation is different. Our internal compasses often swing back to our default settings in a crisis - and to quote Captain Blackadder "This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'.

For someone who believes they are "doing ok" you seem to have an obsession with the subject of working or not working and justifying, even reinforcing your decision to "crack on regardless" - even haranguing others on the forum to follow suit.

Having read your description of your Dad's life being in mortal danger, your mum's need for support and the deeply concerning actions of your parents with regard to spreading coronavirus perhaps now is the time for self-reflection and attending to family needs rather than sounding off on here?

If you wish to work then I understand that within social distancing rules government guidelines allow this. I also understand others view it as unnecessary work in the current circumstances. Please respect their decisions as you would wish yours respected.

It seems you will be having added pressures to cope with and I cannot help but think that persistently posting antithetical views which contribute to forum polarisation helps no-one - not least yourself.

If we could have a vote for best post of the year, for me this would be it!

Dry Clean

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 10:27:13 am »

Time will tell.

If you can believe what you read on other forums and Facebook (I know you can’t) then a few sole traders have had their accountants say they aren’t eligible.

My feeling is that because we can still work we aren’t covered,

And most importantly I haven’t heard or read anything from hmrc that says I am.

I think we will be part of the 5% that aren’t covered. Who knows though yet?  ???

The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 10:31:08 am »

Daz.

If we could have a vote for best post of the year, for me this would be it!

You're easily pleased John.

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:43 am »
”The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.“

I’m not entirely convinced of that argument. For many factories and businesses an overnight closure would prove difficult. Many have commitments to customers I would imagine and so probably have run till friday just gone to complete orders and tie up the business. Depends on what they are producing too.
A bed company near me kept running all week. For all I know they could be supplying mattresses to the hospitals?