Temple cleaning services

pressure washing advice please!!
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:41:00 pm »
Hi all, ive been window cleaning 6 years and wfp 2 of them, and im looking to add pressure washing drives and patios to my bussiness. ive been researching set ups and looking back through alot of helpful posts, it seems to me a honda engine around 13hp and a 18-20"whilaway surface cleaner is a gud way to go? ive got a 500ltr tank in the van, can u just put the hose in and let it take water?Also the thing is i only want to spend around £700 as i dont think ill get massive amounts of work would a 5.5hp pressure washer at £170 not be gud enough? Any advice would be most greatful!!!!!! :-*Also any1 with anything for sale? maybe sum1 cud reccomend me a setup for around my price range? Best regards

Rob_Mac

Re: pressure washing advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:06 pm »
Where are you based

Rob ;D

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »
nottingham

Rob_Mac

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »
You're not that far from me. I live near to Alton Towers in North Staffs.

I am going to be selling a full 2 man pressure washing set up in an Ifor Williams trailer. This may be a little bit much for what you want but if you want to pop over for a chat or ring me for advice happy to help you. Contact info on my profile.

Rob ;D

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:47 pm »
thankyou rob, that would be a little 2 much 4 me and i guess will b a bit over £700. ::)

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:45:44 pm »
The whirlaway isn't essential, spend money on a decent machine & buy the accessories later. A 13hp is spot on,.. 5.5 isn't up to the job IMO and defo wouldn't run a whirlaway properly. Honda is best, but if your budget is tight go for a loncin engine. This machine is good,.. add a turbo nozzle & an x-jet & you're in business:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13-HP-PETROL-PRESSURE-WASHER-2-YEAR-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ330417813104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item4cee6fb670

JSMC

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:44 pm »
The whirlaway isn't essential, spend money on a decent machine & buy the accessories later. A 13hp is spot on,.. 5.5 isn't up to the job IMO and defo wouldn't run a whirlaway properly. Honda is best, but if your budget is tight go for a loncin engine. This machine is good,.. add a turbo nozzle & an x-jet & you're in business:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13-HP-PETROL-PRESSURE-WASHER-2-YEAR-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ330417813104QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item4cee6fb670

i have that very machine and use dti a few times and seems ok. I also have this

http://www.northerntooluk.com/pressure-washer-accessories/general-accessories/500mm-surface-cleaner_157626E.html

AC Pressure

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:33:33 pm »
I use the 500mm flat surface cleaner from Northern Tool as well good bit of kit and not to expensive if you are just starting up.

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 07:09:30 pm »
Yes i must agree although i brought the same model off jetwash direct just branded differently (and now more money).This is its 2nd season and the only problem i had was one of the bars cracked close to the bearing.Couldn't just buy one of the bars though had to get the complete system - 2 bars and the bearing,but all in all quite a good reliable piece of kit.

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 04:08:50 pm »
what do you think to the north star 9.4lpm, 3000psi honda engine pw from northen tools for £634.99?

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »
ive just noticed that this pressure washer is only 6hp yet has 3000psi but only 9.8lpm cud some1 help plz! just some advise plz i have only 600-800 pounds to play with and i need a set up within 2 weeks!!

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 05:06:05 pm »
doubt that machine would have enough lpm to clean properly and would not be big enough at 6hp its a bit underpowered.Not quite sure what Loncin are like but this may be more  suitable http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13-HP-PETROL-PRESSURE-WASHER-2-YEAR-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ330418799832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item4cee7ec4d8

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 05:13:54 pm »
Im sure you have done your homework but its not just the hp of the engine but also the lpm you have to watch out for.Other things to look for are -

reduction boxes / gearboxes that simply reduce the need for a high revving engine although these may not be available with the budget you have and not an absolute essential.
the outer returning bypass system which means when the machine is running but not being used the water is being returned to your resevoir and not circulating in the pump which would soon get hot.
ceramic pistons last lot longer than the normal steel ones.

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »
ive just had a look at the loncin it does actually look quite good, ive looked online and cant c any1 that seems to have had any probs with them. would it be to powerful to run the flat surface cleaner i mentioned a few post back?

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 07:17:02 pm »
This is the washeR I have http://www.jet-wash-direct.co.uk/pressurewashers/sigma-gx13hp.html as you can see the stats are nearly identical and mine runs with a 20" rotary washer with no probs.
As you may of read on here before though these rotary washers dont always shift moss and weeds inbetween joints and you may will have to go over some joints with your lance.

I cant see why this washer wont do for your jobs, it may or may not last for years,it seems to have all the right qualitys, but please dont go and take my word as gospel, use your own judgement and common sense and do what you think is best.

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 07:28:08 pm »
thankyou for your advise its been most helpful 2 me. if a surface cleaner says max pressure 3000psi and max lpm 9.8, would a more powerful pressure washer in effect blow it up?

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »
On the washer there is a regulating valve to reduce the output pressure and you can also reduce the revs on your machine to do the same if you think its to powerful .all will come to light when its set up and you can try it and keep reducing the pressure gradually to find the right settings.
Saying that i think mine is set at max pressure most of the time  :o

AC Pressure

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 07:40:24 pm »
I took delivery of a new PT250E from Tech-Clean last week excellent machine whatever you do DO NOT buy a Kiam pressure washer if you can up your budget and buy decent machine it will save you money in the long term.

Temple cleaning services

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »
thanx guys! sorry to be a pain and probably at risk of sounding really dumb, but r pressure washers generally compatible with most surface cleaners?

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »
yeah , you will just have to check which connection are on your pipes that come with your chosen model and match them to any accessories you buy although i believe that you may be able to adaption kits to swop them over ie threaded m22 couplings to quick release, its a thing thats never bothered me so i have not had a lot of dealings with it.
One more thing you may need to buy is more pipe i think i have got about 50 metres which so far has been enough for me altogether theres some places you can get with your washer like narrow alleys and some steps etc.

karygate

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 07:30:51 am »
been using the 13hp off ebay now for two years plus and it is a great little machine. will get a honda next time but only cos i can afford one now. since getting a turbo nozzle i hardly use a fsc now.
gary

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:12 am »
are turbo nozzles just as quick as a fsc ?

derek west

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:44 pm »
are turbo nozzles just as quick as a fsc ?
a lot messier on surroundings, surely its fsc first then turbo to finish?

AC Pressure

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 04:55:00 pm »
I always use sfc first then turbo nozzle  ;)

drive surgeon

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »
on some jobs you will have to turbo the lot especially if its tough grass and weeds all over. fsc does not have the same power.  just see yourself. :)

AC Pressure

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 10:32:08 pm »
If it is really bad with weeds and grass you could use the turbo first to remove this then go over with the fsc i suppose.

JSMC

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 11:01:46 pm »
what brushes ye all use for sanding? ihave yard brush for pushing water off but dont have another one

Blast Off Stoke

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 04:47:06 pm »
I have a seperate brush one of those that are about 20" wide with a medium coarse bristle.