hi there

why?

regards

martin

sherco

Re: Area Supervisor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:11:14 pm »
You supervise an area....
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

stalwart

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:18:10 pm »
Your the man/woman in charge basically your staff do it the way you want it done,i'd wear a different type of hi vis top,that way if anyone asks whos in charge they'll all point at you  ;D
Been there,seen it,done it,just cant remember when

newbroom

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »
Not really helpful answers, perhaps bogbrush is looking for guidance on the role an duties for area supervisor, and how to monitor & evaluate that particular role. 

Big Al

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »
Well thank you broom........well said, I had better luck on **** cleaning site :)  ;D

Cheers Sir Chris  ;D

cml

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 07:28:06 pm »
Hi

You may want to firstly decide what it is you want your superivisor to achieve because not all supervisory roles will be the same for every company. 
Some will involve recruiting and monitoring staff, monitoring staff performance and ensuring they complete works according to specification, checking service standards, liaising or reporting directly to the clients, producing timesheets, order and delivery stock, training and in most cases to roll up ones sleeves and be hands on if it is the solution to solving a paticular problem.

Hope this helps

Adam P

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 11:59:06 pm »
Not really helpful answers, perhaps bogbrush is looking for guidance on the role an duties for area supervisor, and how to monitor & evaluate that particular role. 

they aren't helpful answers as the first post isn't a helpful post. if we were to do as the guy/girl asks our answer would be yes. is that our fault that that's all that was asked?

Big Al

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:25:10 pm »
Green, read the 'subject' what else can you say about it!!!  :P

derek west

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:55:49 pm »
what sherco said, simple questions warrent a simple answer.

newbroom

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 02:05:56 pm »
He asking about a area supervisor has the topic header suggests, some people can't see the wood for the trees

Bob Robertson

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »
The role would be to look after clients in your given area, carry out quality audits make sure supplies are ordered and delivered to your sites, doing staff wages, starter forms ,bank details etc, making sure you don't go over budget on your sites. Equipment up to date with PAT testing and getting your balls kicked from your regional manager when things go wrong.

Big Al

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »
ok, next time i will write a book for the sarcastic people

martin19842

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »
hi there

the original question was very broad

an area supervisor in one company is totally different to an area supervisor in another.

the area supervisor of a small company may be in charge of a number of clients overseeing the cleaning, the staff and the recruitment of them, even holdng client meetings.

the area supervisor of a larger company might only supervise onsite staff at potentially one site, but may never meet the client, or infact deal with staffing issues.

therefore the clarification of the type of role is required before a sensible and commerical answer can be submitted.

a classic example is that of a business development manager in one company it means a person earning18k plus commission and selling services, in another company it means 45k and developing strategy and potential clients, two totally differing roles but same job title.

regards

martin

newbroom

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »
pedantic

stalwart

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 09:38:03 pm »
Anyone know the job role?  ???

Might be an idea if you explained what your going to be supervising,ie
What sort of work is it?
How big is the job ie how many staff for eg?
Any H+S issues.

A bit more details from your 1st post might not get you all those silly answers in the 1st place.

Area supervisor........................back 25 yrs ago he was called the forman..........the one bloke you didnt *iss off

BDCS

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »
I think if you call yourself bogbrush you expect to be covered in brown stuff and rubbed round the rim, do you expect to be taken seriously having asked an "open" question like that? Lets face it your could call any job any title you wish and involve any duties you see fit

stalwart

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 10:00:49 pm »
I think if you call yourself bogbrush you expect to be covered in brown stuff and rubbed round the rim, do you expect to be taken seriously having asked an "open" question like that? Lets face it your could call any job any title you wish and involve any duties you see fit
LOL     ;D ;D

Any luck with those email links i sent?

Big Al

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 10:08:45 pm »
ummm, bogbrush...........BDCS, im covered in brown stuff and you are full brown stuff!!!! be positive and help others, thats what this site is about

BDCS

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 11:40:15 pm »
Thanks - I'm glad you appreciate my help ::) ::)

newbroom

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 06:27:26 pm »
Cant' believe the guy is simply asking for advice, not comment on his screen name.

Perhaps if people don't have anything positive to give regarding the subject they should refrain from posting.

dianegreenwood

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »
I think our equivalent of an 'area supervisor' is our Operations Manager role whose sole purpose is to ensure the cleaning team have all the equipment and training and support they need to do a fantastic job and to cover for team absences/busy times when necessary.

If you'd like to message me via the contact page on my website bog brush I'll send you a job description (provided you're not in my area).

Cheers

Diane

www.freshlymaid.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:38 pm »
Cant' believe the guy is simply asking for advice, not comment on his screen name.

Perhaps if people don't have anything positive to give regarding the subject they should refrain from posting.

isn't that slightly hypacritical as you have not put anything positive regarding the subject in your post.

in fact youve put 4 posts up and not one bit of help on the subject.

Pristine Clean

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »
very interesting reactions,

Yes the job role will vary from company to company. A managing director for a small company will get his hands dirty, still be making his own tea and most likely still drive a Ford KA.

An MD for a large coporate company will get the red carpet treatment. Have his own personal PA and teaboy and probably an Aston Martin. They both get the title Managing Director so which one really is an MD in your own eyes.

I think the first question is you need to ask yourself after finding out what role he/she will play in your hierarchy is: Do we require an area supervisor.

Now if you dont know what one is, then I would say you do not require one. But on the other hand that does not mean you do not require more staff or expansion plans.

You need to find out what you want this person to be doing for you, your company.

You need a goal or several goals that this individual is to acheive.

They have to bring something to the table in making your company flow and possibly allowing you to take a step back or allowing you to move forward so you can concentrate/focus on a certain area within your company.

If after reveiwing, all you want is someone to deliver some supplies and check the odd site or just one site then I would not call them an area superviser. Just employ a cleaner with varied duties or call them a mobile cleaner. Some companies pay an area superviser around £18 - £20,000, area Managers are on around £25,000 plus

I hope this helps.

Dave

"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

BDCS

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 11:38:20 pm »
You say interesting - this is someone who buys a rotary for a job then comes on here and asks how to use it and what products you use with it. Now he asks about a area supervisor ? Bogbrush ? I'm sorry but he gave himself a derogatory tag

newbroom

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 08:29:52 am »
Not hypocritical at all, whilst you are right i haven't posted anything about the actual job title or description.i haven't posted sarky irrelevant posts either.

Big Al

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »
BDCS you are very wrong.

I bought a machine, I know how to use it, I was after more advise, that's what this forum is for, but maybe I'm wrong?!

I think maybe you are on the wrong forum?

As with the area super job, different comanies have different roles for this position, as we have found out from these posts!!!!

I'm not the good at explaining so feel you somewhat taking the p**s!!

sherco

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 02:41:46 pm »
BDCS you are very wrong.

I bought a machine, I know how to use it, I was after more advise, that's what this forum is for, but maybe I'm wrong?!

I think maybe you are on the wrong forum?

As with the area super job, different comanies have different roles for this position, as we have found out from these posts!!!!

I'm not the good at explaining so feel you somewhat taking the p**s!!
I wasnt taking the pee...just needed to know a bit more about the question....Dont take things to heart on here, just a bit of banter..
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk