myvanwi

Re: Recruiting staff
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 09:22:30 pm »
i have 4 ladies working for me, they are all stars, 2 i recruited via the jobcentre one is a friend and the fourth is my friends step daughter..........i always ensure i recruit staff that love to clean and not just someone that needs a job. they dont necessarily have to have experience tho its an advantage and I have to be honest the business just about runs itself. on of the ladies (my friend) has ben with me for near on 4 years, and her step daughter is an obsessive cleaner who adores working for me...nutter lol  ;D

Jan K,
Would you mind me asking how many hours are you doing with four staff and are you making a decent profit?. We started over a year ago charging £12 per hour, we find that no-one wants to pay more than 2 hours as we send two cleaners to each house. Also you say that your staff have their own transport. Do they have any signs on their vehicles to advertise? Lastly where do you find the majority of your customers come from. local paper, leaflets delivered, directories etc.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 09:55:56 pm »
If you are charging an hourly rate there is a risk that the client will dictate to you how many hours they are willing to pay for. If you can reverse the situation by giving the client a quotation for the jobs, not the hours, that they want doing then you have the upper hand, not them. There are two types of clients, those who are used to an hourly rate and those who are more  in tune with the modern way of charging by the job. If you can attract the latter type of client then you can charge more pro rata than £12 per hour. I have read on here with huge interest the debates as to an hourly rate or a fixed-price job. As an employee i was always on an hourly rate no matter who i worked for or how they as a copmnay charged. I managed a cleaning company for a lady who used to charge per-job for all of her clients and if i was running my own buisiness then i would probably do the same. I have for many years, off and on, cleaned for families privatly and charged by the hour because i was using all their cleaning materials and it was only ever a casual arrangement. They paid me for my time/labour. This is why people still sometimes expect to pay per-hour for a 'service' when in fact most 'services' now are charging for the job.

myvanwi

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 10:19:11 pm »
We want to charge by the job but for a weekly clean for example on a large house we would charge £40, as people will not pay any more weekly. In order to carry out the tasks of cleaning the whole house it takes 2 cleaners 2 hours and can not be done in any less time. Worked out on an hourly rate this is less than £12 per hour so we dont gain any more income.
How would you work this one out?

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 10:33:16 pm »
Are you saying that people pay for 2 hours and get 2 cleaners, i.e. they pay 4 x £12 per hour? Or are you saying that they get 2 cleaners for 1 hour i.e. 2 x £12? If it is that they are getting 2 cleaners for 2 hours then i am not surprised that they are not willing to pay for more. I know that the time taken to do the cleaning will vary from house to house, even the same task in different houses will vary in time, but it is about setting a time limit per house and making sure that your staff complete all the cleaning tasks in that time. Whereever you work there are targets that have to be met, if your girls worked in a call centre they would be expected to handle X amount of calls per hour, in  a factory they would be expected to pack or assemble X amounts of goods in an hour, the list goes on and cleaning is no different. It is about finding out what cleaning the client wants and charging accordingly wothout doing extra work. They may have a 6 bedroom house but few will want every room cleaning. If you are sending staff in with instructions to clean the house top to bottom, room by room, they will be at it forever. Your client is the best person to tell you what they want, it is then down to you to pick the best staff you have for the job in question and makes sure they can turn it around in the time. When you are also providing transport -even if just the costs- and equipment then that comes out of the hourly rate, thus if you are charging £12 per hour and your staff do 4 hours cleaning between them you charge £48 but then have to take out all your costs as well as paying staff. This is another reason why companies dont charge an hourly rate as they have to pay for the staff to commute between addresses. How do you run your service exactly at the moment?

mike peters

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 01:27:52 pm »
Go to gumtree.com find your nearest town within that site, and free ad your way to 50+ calls or so.many wil be foreighn student/travellers/etc but you can still find good guys. My last was S/african and was the best guy we ever had. Gone back now :(           Carefull with employment laws etc:

Alan Rowley

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »
I use Gumtree to advertise our business. Placed an ad in the Nottingham and Derby sections and have had a few replies. Simply update the ad weekly to keep it at the top of the pile.

If you want to have a look, the Nottingham ad is here.

drive surgeon

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 10:10:12 am »
sounds good for recruting staff.

Lesley J

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 07:59:43 pm »
try offering your existing staff a recruitment bonus.
Lesley Tyrrell