Luke Johnson

REACH AND WASH ( NOT LOGO ), LEGAL ON DIY SYSTEM VAN?
« on: June 19, 2007, 04:55:50 pm »
Is it legal to use the "reach and wash" name on you'r van, even if you don't have an ionics system. I've noticed Brodex have used it recently

Majestic

Re: REACH AND WASH ( NOT LOGO ), LEGAL ON DIY SYSTEM VAN?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:06:23 pm »
The way I understand it is if you have a Reach & Wash van system you can use there logo . If you have a ionnics  pole you cant

Luke Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 05:50:25 pm »
I'm not talking about the logo, I'm talking about the term "reach and wash" :)

NWH

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:53:09 pm »
I think the prase Reach and Wash is also protected by something or other.

Helen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:37:41 pm »
I think the prase Reach and Wash is also protected by something or other.

Can't see anywhere where after the words Reach and Wash is the symbol in a circle 'c' or 'tm'.
I can understand a name such as Ionics or Prochem having it but not everyday words from the dictionary.

Clear Vision

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 08:06:46 pm »
I'm not talking about the logo, I'm talking about the term "reach and wash" :)

So is it legal to use the logo?

Helen

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:25 pm »
The Logo...No unless it is an Ionics system fitted by Ionics.
The words Reach and Wash..can't see a prob with unless you copy it exact i.e font etc

macmac

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:38 pm »
Anyone wanting to use their logo or prase just use it, i do, & have done for some time & dont have any of their products. Have they ever contacted me? no. has anyone ever complained? no. How likely is it that even if they did, that anything would actually happen? not very likley IMO.
Go on, be double hard, use it, i dare you ;D

tony

poleman

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:29:33 pm »
Watch out

I know Ionic staff view this forum

Andy

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 09:10:08 pm »
Tough titty for them.
They can't decide what people put on their van. ::)

It is a reach and wash system.
It's another name for it, like water-fed-pole.

They won't know anyway.
They won't do anything.
Just tell them to stick to overpriced systems.

matt

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 10:35:10 pm »
Tough titty for them.
They can't decide what people put on their van. ::)

It is a reach and wash system.
It's another name for it, like water-fed-pole.

They won't know anyway.
They won't do anything.
Just tell them to stick to overpriced systems.

fighting talk is that

watch out, you wil be joining the rebelion and fighting the dark side  ;D ;D

“Do or do not... there is no try.”
“Happens to every guy sometimes this does”
“Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you.”
“Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”

all classic quotes from the master ;)

NWH

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 10:37:27 pm »
Ionic read this forum,yeah maybe but the tossers never return your calls.

matt

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 10:41:44 pm »
Watch out

Andy

cheer andy, we have caught a few of the "plants" in the past  ;) ;)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 10:45:11 pm »
Watch out

Andy

Better than smoking them... ;D

Philip Hanson

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 01:39:51 pm »
This subject comes up time and time again, is it legal to use the words "Reach & Wash" "Reach and Wash", Reach n Wash" etc etc and the reach and wash logo.  Window cleaners like to use the term "reach & wash" and the logo because its usually recognised by building owners.  Other times, window cleaners use it without even realising its a trademark.

Until relatively recently only the reach & wash logo (with the water man) was a registered trademark, this one here:

It is notoriously difficult to trademark descriptive phrases, and of course, "Reach and Wash" is a descriptive phrase.

The only time you can trademark a phrase like this is if it has essentially been established as a trademark purely through use in a trademark sense.

After having used the phrase "reach & wash" for over ten years, the Intellectually Property Office last year granted Ionic the right to register the phrase "reach & wash" as an international trademark.

A few months ago I was talking to a window cleaning supplier, and we got talking about this subject and he said "ah yes, so you can't use Reach & Wash, but what about 'reach n wash'? or 'reach-wash'?"

This is called "passing-off" (in that someone is trying to "pass-off" their product as something that it isnt).  When it comes to trademarks, you cant use the actual text of someone else's trademark, or even a similarity.  If it came to it, you would have to justify in court that using the phrase "reach n wash" was not trying to piggy-back from the brand "reach and wash".  You'd simply have no chance.

It would be a bit like launching a soft-drink and calling it "coke and cola" and then expecting Cocacola not to be too bothered about it.  They would be bothered, and you'd just have no hope of defending that in court.

Interestingly, the supplier who I was speaking to didnt believe me and started to use the phrase "Reach + Wash" on their website.  It wasn't long before Ionic contacted them and asked them to stop.  When they refused, Ionic's lawyers began legal proceedings, and only then did the supplier stop using the trademark.  But, that isnt the end of the story, because that supplier became liable for the legal costs that had been racked up so far, which was just over £1,000.  If it had gone to court, there would have just been no defense, and they would have had to pay damages as well.  (This was a supplier, so no doubt Ionic played hard-ball, I don't know what would have happened had it been a window cleaner)

Some window cleaners I have spoken to have said "ah well, whose gonna know if I use it or not?  They gonna watch every window cleaner are they? Don't think so"
Enforcing a trademark is often difficult, but in this case Ionic have a helping hand - window cleaners who have bought reach and wash systems.  They call ionic all the time and report that one of their competitors is using  a trademark without having bought a system. 

It never ceases to amaze me that there are plenty of people around who will openly slate ionic for this and that - fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion.  But why, then, if ionic is so terrible are people falling over themselves, even illegally, to use its trademark?  I remember a thread on here a while ago about a cheeky beggar who had copied the name and graphics from a forum member's van, and was using it to get work.  Of course, all the forum members commented how bad this was etc, unfair, unprofessional and so on.  That window cleaner was trying to get work on the basis of someone else's brand.  Sorry, but I don't see much of a difference.

here it is : http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=26144.0;all

So anyway, to clear up this debate, the phrase "Reach and Wash" is a registered trademark, and the water-man logo is a seperate trademark.  see here:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=E4682308

You can't use it or anything that is similar unless you have a license from the trademark proprieter, which is Ionic.  They license its use to window cleaners who buy their systems.  If you do use one of those trademarks without permission, and I have seen plenty of examples, sooner or later you're likely to get a letter from Ionic probably quite politely, asking you to stop.  My advice would be - STOP!  Because otherwise you'll end up forking out for the legal costs involved in enforcement, and they can be steep.

But also, you could get trouble from another quarter - saying you use reach & wash when you dont is a violation of the Trade Descriptions Act, and there's nothing to stop ionic, another window cleaner, even a customer from reporting you for this.  It can and has happened.

-Philip
Editor, Professional Window Cleaner Magazine

"The irony of the information age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion"
John Lawton

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 02:45:04 pm »
Watch out

Andy

Triffids?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 02:52:06 pm »
This subject comes up time and time again, is it legal to use the words "Reach & Wash" "Reach and Wash", Reach n Wash" etc etc and the reach and wash logo.  Window cleaners like to use the term "reach & wash" and the logo because its usually recognised by building owners.  Other times, window cleaners use it without even realising its a trademark.

Until relatively recently only the reach & wash logo (with the water man) was a registered trademark, this one here:

It is notoriously difficult to trademark descriptive phrases, and of course, "Reach and Wash" is a descriptive phrase.

The only time you can trademark a phrase like this is if it has essentially been established as a trademark purely through use in a trademark sense.

After having used the phrase "reach & wash" for over ten years, the Intellectually Property Office last year granted Ionic the right to register the phrase "reach & wash" as an international trademark.

A few months ago I was talking to a window cleaning supplier, and we got talking about this subject and he said "ah yes, so you can't use Reach & Wash, but what about 'reach n wash'? or 'reach-wash'?"

This is called "passing-off" (in that someone is trying to "pass-off" their product as something that it isnt).  When it comes to trademarks, you cant use the actual text of someone else's trademark, or even a similarity.  If it came to it, you would have to justify in court that using the phrase "reach n wash" was not trying to piggy-back from the brand "reach and wash".  You'd simply have no chance.

It would be a bit like launching a soft-drink and calling it "coke and cola" and then expecting Cocacola not to be too bothered about it.  They would be bothered, and you'd just have no hope of defending that in court.

Interestingly, the supplier who I was speaking to didnt believe me and started to use the phrase "Reach + Wash" on their website.  It wasn't long before Ionic contacted them and asked them to stop.  When they refused, Ionic's lawyers began legal proceedings, and only then did the supplier stop using the trademark.  But, that isnt the end of the story, because that supplier became liable for the legal costs that had been racked up so far, which was just over £1,000.  If it had gone to court, there would have just been no defense, and they would have had to pay damages as well.  (This was a supplier, so no doubt Ionic played hard-ball, I don't know what would have happened had it been a window cleaner)

Some window cleaners I have spoken to have said "ah well, whose gonna know if I use it or not?  They gonna watch every window cleaner are they? Don't think so"
Enforcing a trademark is often difficult, but in this case Ionic have a helping hand - window cleaners who have bought reach and wash systems.  They call ionic all the time and report that one of their competitors is using  a trademark without having bought a system. 

It never ceases to amaze me that there are plenty of people around who will openly slate ionic for this and that - fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion.  But why, then, if ionic is so terrible are people falling over themselves, even illegally, to use its trademark?  I remember a thread on here a while ago about a cheeky beggar who had copied the name and graphics from a forum member's van, and was using it to get work.  Of course, all the forum members commented how bad this was etc, unfair, unprofessional and so on.  That window cleaner was trying to get work on the basis of someone else's brand.  Sorry, but I don't see much of a difference.

here it is : http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=26144.0;all

So anyway, to clear up this debate, the phrase "Reach and Wash" is a registered trademark, and the water-man logo is a seperate trademark.  see here:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=E4682308

You can't use it or anything that is similar unless you have a license from the trademark proprieter, which is Ionic.  They license its use to window cleaners who buy their systems.  If you do use one of those trademarks without permission, and I have seen plenty of examples, sooner or later you're likely to get a letter from Ionic probably quite politely, asking you to stop.  My advice would be - STOP!  Because otherwise you'll end up forking out for the legal costs involved in enforcement, and they can be steep.

But also, you could get trouble from another quarter - saying you use reach & wash when you dont is a violation of the Trade Descriptions Act, and there's nothing to stop ionic, another window cleaner, even a customer from reporting you for this.  It can and has happened.

-Philip

I saw a van around a few months ago with the words "Wash and reach" on it.  Not sure if it was "and" or "&" now.  Do you think this would be similar enough to incur Ionics' wrath?  I don't recall seeing a logo though, although it sounds like that may be a mute point from what you've written.
I don't have an Ionics system myself but regardless of who supplies my system, I would rather my own business details be the ones to stand out.

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 03:42:18 pm »
You would have thought with the 1,000's of window cleaners on here, there wasn't one amongst us, who has the skill to create a good looking logo,  like or better than the above and put it up on the forum for free use??

Any takers??????

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 03:55:13 pm »
I know that most window cleaners on this Forum would always want to stick closely to the law of the land and the spirit of the law.

As a supplier, who has also had to go through various legal steps to protect names, designs and intellectual property rights, I appreciate the position that Ionics have taken on this matter.

Ionics is a relatively large company (by window cleaning standards), they employ many people and make a good profit. It is only natural that they will want to protect all of this using totally legal and fair means.

Whether you personally like the products they produce or the prices they charge is not the issue. Using this phrase without their permission is the equivalent to identity theft, which as Philip pointed out carries a heavy penalty.

As has been mentioned many times on the Forum, isn't it better to promote your own company image, particularly as most clients wouldn't know an Ionics system from any other system.