johnny bravo

Citroen Dispatch fault, any one had
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:04:14 pm »
as above 2009 new shape  2.0 diesel.
Had to fit a new battery on Monday after van died ,   New battery 14 months old,     replaced with new,    since replacing the battery its been showing on dash there is a fault,   last couple of days its been cutting out for half a second but still driving good, if radio is on it cuts out thats how i new it was the power was stopping. a spanner shows on the dash,
had it looked at today   , placed the  hand held engine fault finder into van but never showed anything wrong.      booked in for monday morn,      he says there maybe a fault connected to the alternator.
battery hasnt lasted wrong.    14 months from new.

has anyone had this type of fault  after changing battery or any other diagnosis please,  It was running fine before i had the battery changed. Coincidence it has just started

dazmond

Re: Citroen Dispatch fault, any one had
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 07:06:44 pm »
i bet its the alternator.
price higher/work harder!

cleantech

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 07:19:34 pm »
Alternator

SeanK

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:30:41 pm »
It might not be the alternator, the fact that the engine is cutting out when the radio is turned on makes me think your could be having a problem with the eco mode.
If it was the alternator it would cut out when you switch on the lights as well.

robert mitchell

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:23 pm »
it could still be the alternater , worn and not producing as much current as it used to , or the rectifier pack on the alternater could be faulty too .

Any half decent garage/rac technician should be able to test it
www.ishinewindowcleaning.co.uk

The man who never made a mistake never made anything.

johnny bravo

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:07 pm »
as i said everything still ok when driving, just a  blink of the eye it stops then driving as norm ,  so something is cutting the power off for a split second,     ill see if a garage which just deals with electrical faults  can take a look before i take it to my usual garage where they charge big  but are decent.       i hope.

SeanK

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 08:43:39 am »
as i said everything still ok when driving, just a  blink of the eye it stops then driving as norm ,  so something is cutting the power off for a split second,     ill see if a garage which just deals with electrical faults  can take a look before i take it to my usual garage where they charge big  but are decent.       i hope.

All these vans have what is called an eco mode that has nothing to do with saving fuel, it cuts the power to save the battery
if the on board computer thinks there's a chance that it could be damaged.
It tends to cut the power when turning on non essential items such as the radio and not the lights, that's what makes me think
that this could be your problem.

johnny bravo

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 10:46:36 am »
well  i went to local electric auto today,    nothing till tomorrow,      booked it in and off i drove home,      5 minutes away and from home on main road , borough rd,     everything went off,   all dead  even hazard lights,      just enough power to get it on side safe.
luckilly we got the AA    NO NOT THE ALCAHOLLICS ONE,  through our house insurance   , phoned them , with me in 35 minutes.   explained to him it all started from new battery.
he didnt bother looking in the engine,       he first took the cover off to reveal battery,      pushed the spring cover back onto the + terminal,     POWER.     his diagnosis is this spring cover which goes over the terminal may have been moving while driving,   now its flipped up to loose all power.        Suggested getting new terminals fitted if it happens again.
Ill look out now to see if it is going to cut out now and again as previously done.
so hopefully thats that cured.
Thanks for your feedback,
It is worth that extra getting cover with a reputable breakdown company,    AA   , RAC,     GREEN FLAG.
lots of other cheaper companies just use local sub-contractors   to get you home or to a local garage,    or worse if they baffle you with all sorts and get you ripped off with there garage mate,  paying them commision for  taking you to them.
 ::)roll
happy motoring ;D :D      very happy again,     sunny tomorrow here,  pishing down today.      my sons coming out tomorrow,  he needs money,  hes started to go out to pub,       haha.     
he must have realised good things in life cost ££££££££££££

andyM

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:30 am »
To be honest checking the battery terminals would have been the first thing I would of done.
One of the Plebs

johnny bravo

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 02:29:57 pm »
YOU WERE NOT VERY QUICK TO ANSWER  ??? ??? ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll    thanks for letting me know what you thought though ::)roll