GB Window Cleaning

12v battery dead help!!!
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:13:59 pm »
did half a day today then my aux battery that is supposed to charge from the can altinator died, its only a couple months old.

so i took it back to the supplier and they replaced the "spliter box thing" that sends a charge to the engine bay battery and the aux batter, they said it had "burnt out"

so i took my dead battery home and ive had it on charge for 5 hours now and there is no sign of it charging according to the dail on the battery charger!  >:(

what am i doing wrong? the terminals are on correct! is the charger no good? its buzzing so i assume it must be working!?!

help!

if i cant get it charged by tomorrow morning i'll have to go buy another 12v battery as i canyt miss another days work!
when you buy them new are they fully charged?

help!

GB

Pope vader

Re: 12v battery dead help!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
go and run off your cig lighter

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:32:48 pm »

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:34:26 pm »
some more info...

the battery is 12volts, 75 AH @20 hr rate

the charger im trying to charge it with is ...

6 AMP, 12 volts

hope this can help someone help me please?  :-[

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »
and where can i buy one of these batterys in the moring if a need to? and how much will one cost roughly?

thanks

GB

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
If you have an electronic flow controller GB, the best thing you can do is have your pump wired direct to the van's own battery or from a permanent live in the ignition.

I've done this for over 7 years. I used to go through the cig lighter socket but now it's direct from the ignition loom & is much better this way & can run all day without a hint of power loss! ;)

Absolutely no need to fanny about with leisure batteries & chargers etc. ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:48:19 pm »
If you have an electronic flow controller GB, the best thing you can do is have your pump wired direct to the van's own battery or from a permanent live in the ignition.

I've done this for over 7 years. I used to go through the cig lighter socket but now it's direct from the ignition loom & is much better this way & can run all day without a hint of power loss! ;)

no the leisure battery that runs my pump is wired into the van alternator! it should charge as my van is running

thanks

GB

Pope vader

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:07 pm »
go and run off your cig lighter

how?  ???

basically connect ur pump up to a cable running from a cig lighter connector,  its a bit like phone charge but for  a pump, i have been using one for over a year and never had a problem

Pope vader

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:52:22 pm »

no the leisure battery that runs my pump is wired into the van alternator! it should charge as my van is running

thanks

GB

this might be the reason why it is knackered as am sure a leisure battery has to have a slow charge,  like a split relay

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:41 pm »

it does have a split relay i recon! my van mount system is new and as been professionaly fitted!

thanks

thanks

GB

this might be the reason why it is knackered as am sure a leisure battery has to have a slow charge,  like a split relay

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:12:03 pm »
so will mt charger charge this type of battery or am i wasting my time?

Andy Foster

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:00 pm »
Wasting your time mate, if it's dead then it's dead!
Wire straight to battery like the chaps have said above, no problems then.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:26 pm »
Wasting your time mate, if it's dead then it's dead!
Wire straight to battery like the chaps have said above, no problems then.

i didnt mean dead just flat

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »
 i m o THE CHARGE MIGHT BE TO FAST AND BEND THE PLATES IN THE BATTERY ON A LONGER DRIVE TIME AS A LEISURE BATTERY NEEDS A SLOW CHARGE WITCH SHOULD NEED A 12 CHARGE, AT 6 AMPS.  AT 74 AMPS IT WOULD CHARGE IN LESS THAN  2/3 HOURS. TOO FAST. 8) 8)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:04 pm »
well im gonna leave it on till the morning charging, then if i have no joy i'll be forced to go and buy another first thing in the morning!

where's the best shop to go to buy one?

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »
If the battery is sealed, you can throw it away if its not a sealed unit you can pour the battery acid out flush with pure water and refill the acid with new acid and recharge it. I have down this often and saved the battery .

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »
thing is the battery is only a couple of months old! if its nackered im taking it back for a replacment!

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »
thing is the battery is only a couple of months old! if its nackered im taking it back for a replacment!

You do right too. Your system is almost new, it's up to the supplier to sort this in the short term at least.

Panorama

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 11:34:24 pm »
If they send you a new one don't forget to take your old battery to your nearest scrapyard, they will give you £10 for it ;)

Mike #1

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 07:06:52 am »
GB you need to take battery in every night and charge it .  From a full charge and one days use it takes 45 mins to recharge fully , you have been slowly draining your battery until its gone flat it could take 4hrs plus from flat .     

A LEISURE BATTERY  NEEDS TO BE CHARGED AFTER EVERY USE OTHERWISE YOU WILL DAMAGE  THE
        BATTERY   

Dave Willis

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 07:14:43 am »
Don't panic, if it's nearly new and is only flat then it should charge back up. Ideally you need a decent battery charger that won't cook it. The battery should be guaranteed for at least a year anyway so take it back and get it tested if it won't charge.
You might not be working today anyway with this weather.  ;)

rg1

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »
GB you need to take battery in every night and charge it .  From a full charge and one days use it takes 45 mins to recharge fully , you have been slowly draining your battery until its gone flat it could take 4hrs plus from flat .     

A LEISURE BATTERY  NEEDS TO BE CHARGED AFTER EVERY USE OTHERWISE YOU WILL DAMAGE  THE
        BATTERY   

I dont charge my leisure batteries every day and I have been using them for almost 2 years ???
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »
thanks guys. well i got sorted anyway! i bought a new "nuwmax" 12v 75 ah battery today (£70) so now ive got a spare incase this happens again! surely  i dont need to charge it everynight if its on trickle charge from my vans alternator all the time?

think im gonna get another 100psi shurflo pump as a spare so i dont get cuaght out like this again!

thanks for all your help

GB

Slash

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:28 pm »
Yes,there should be a guarentee with it.

Mike #1

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:09 am »
Admittedly i some times charge mine every other night ,  When i first started using leisure battery i used to put it on charge for the 20 mins or so thinking it would be ok until one day i was at work and the battery died on me and i had to go home and lost a days work .     

Also typically when you get a new battery it does say charge after every use

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 04:28:43 pm »
so to clarify... even though my aux battery that powers my pump is connected to my vans alternator i should still charge it every night ??? cos to me this seems pointless having it connected to my alternator! ::)

and is it damerging to the battery to charge it even if it doest need charging?

thanks

Spruce

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 04:41:10 pm »
so to clarify... even though my aux battery that powers my pump is connected to my vans alternator i should still charge it every night ??? cos to me this seems pointless having it connected to my alternator! ::)

and is it damerging to the battery to charge it even if it doest need charging?

thanks

We give ours a charge every second night, and no, if you have the right charger, it will cut out when the battery is fully charged so it won't over charge. I have a Numax 10amp intelligent charger for motor home use.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 04:45:18 pm »
thanks for that spruce! i think im gonna have to shell out for a better charger like youve got! have you got the details make and model so i can shop around for one please?

thanks again

GB

Spruce

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 06:18:45 pm »
thanks for that spruce! i think im gonna have to shell out for a better charger like youve got! have you got the details make and model so i can shop around for one please?

thanks again

GB

It is designed to be left on all winter and will maintain the full charge in the battery automatically. Just what motorhome users want who pack their vans away for the winter.

See

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=130038.0

king marko

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 06:22:37 pm »
make sure you have a leisure battery charger to charge a leisure battery or you will buckle the plates inside

Spruce

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:15 pm »

dave.e

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:27 pm »
hi gb it as been said before run straight of the van battery i have been doing this for the last 6 months with out any problems what so ever and my round is only 7miles a day. when i was using leisure batteries i got so fed up with running out of power and getting though batteries like no tomorrow i did what some one advised me to do on here and never looked back and by god you don't have to worry about charging another  leisure battery ever again. i could not go back now and if it knacked the van battery and i had to buy one off those every 15 months then its cheaper than buying 2 leisure batteries every year.
dave

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:42 am »
Here are the details of the charger.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Leisure-Battery-Charger-10A-P6127.html

http://www.lake-batteries.co.uk/numax-connect--forget-10a-12v-leisure-battery-charger-62-p.asp

http://www.leisurepowerdirect.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_100&osCsid=5ac12e66691baeb8cd3c7c5e59f64687

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NUMAX-Connect-Forget-Charger-LARGE-LEISURE-BATTERY-/160642717478?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item25670d5726

I don't know what the difference is between leisure and marine chargers. Leisure works for me. I think the marine application use traction batteries, which are a combination of deep cycle (leisure) and cranking (starter) batteries.

Spruce

thanks spruce i recon i'll order one of those!  ;)

Spruce

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 08:08:24 am »
hi gb it as been said before run straight of the van battery i have been doing this for the last 6 months with out any problems what so ever and my round is only 7miles a day. when i was using leisure batteries i got so fed up with running out of power and getting though batteries like no tomorrow i did what some one advised me to do on here and never looked back and by god you don't have to worry about charging another  leisure battery ever again. i could not go back now and if it knacked the van battery and i had to buy one off those every 15 months then its cheaper than buying 2 leisure batteries every year.
dave

Hi Dave,

There are some on here including you who recommend this way to go and dispense with their leisure battery altogether. For you it works. On my sons Partner van we put a change over switch on, so he could go to the van battery 'in the case of emergency'. The switch got accidentally knocked so the van battery was the souce battery as well and within a few days his van battery wouldn't start the van - thankfully he was on a hill and managed to push start it. He has a Shurflo pump with a varistream controller.

But our main customer base is only about 2 miles away so the battery will never get fully recharged after a days work with a 5 to 10 minute drive home. For us the leisure battery route is the only way we can go, but the downside is that we have to make battery charging a standard part of our regime along with filling the tanks with water.

I do appreciate that a starter battery is designed differently to a leisure battery and will accept a faster charge. I have toyed with the idea of replacing a leisure battery with a standard starter battery, but still feel that the mileage we travel is too low to warrant this.

Spruce.

dave.e

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »
dave

Hi Dave,

There are some on here including you who recommend this way to go and dispense with their leisure battery altogether. For you it works. On my sons Partner van we put a change over switch on, so he could go to the van battery 'in the case of emergency'. The switch got accidentally knocked so the van battery was the souce battery as well and within a few days his van battery wouldn't start the van - thankfully he was on a hill and managed to push start it. He has a Shurflo pump with a varistream controller.

But our main customer base is only about 2 miles away so the battery will never get fully recharged after a days work with a 5 to 10 minute drive home. For us the leisure battery route is the only way we can go, but the downside is that we have to make battery charging a standard part of our regime along with filling the tanks with water.

I do appreciate that a starter battery is designed differently to a leisure battery and will accept a faster charge. I have toyed with the idea of replacing a leisure battery with a standard starter battery, but still feel that the mileage we travel is too low to warrant this.

Spruce.

Hi mate i do under stand how you feel i did to begin with. did your son use a flo con because they are designed not flatten your battery that low if your flo con starts flashing batt and shut your water of then i would put money on the van still starting. when i do one est down the road from me i have got 23 houses on there and i move the van from drive to drive so not only is the van battery running my pump all day but also starting the van and then its about 3miles back home. before i started using the van batt i did buy a new one and will buy another in 15 months to make sure the van battery is in good nick all the time so i don't have any problems.
dave

dave.e

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
spruce there is something you could try if you wanted to have you got a multi meter if so connect it to the van run your pump for lets say 3 hours then see what the volt reading is then start the van and leave the engine running for 3mins with no load on then take another reading and so long as your van is charging ok and the van battery is in good nick then you will be surprised that you have just got all your power back. hope that helps Dave

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:05 pm »
It's also important to have the correct grade of wire from battery/ignition to pump. I was using a particular cable from my cig' lighter socket to pump which caused a voltage drop. I now have the correct cable from a permanent live in the ignition loom & I can work all day with no power loss. At the end of the day my varistream green light still doesn't flash even when turned up to full!

I invested in a top-notch Bosch silver 5 series battery, it's 63ah & approx 700 cca. It was £65 all in on-line but they are approx £120 from Halfords! ;)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:35 am »
thanks winpro

so when i can afford to im gonna order one of those leisure batterys chargers suggested by spruce!

tar

george

Dave Willis

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 04:50:36 pm »
Mine will charge up to 200ah and i have a 135ah battery in the van at present.

I had the one you looked at for about three years - it just started playing up recently, wouldn't get to the maintaining charge.
The dearer one shows the voltage in a little lcd screen.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 05:08:14 pm »
oh right i see!

i think im gonna take atrip to halfords tomorrow and get the same one as you then! looks good!

out of interest do you also have a split relay in your van to trickle charge the leisure battery?

thanks

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »
@ Hydrophyl®

Ive just reserved the same charger youve got at halfords! gonna pick it up tomorrow morning!

thanks again

george

Dave Willis

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »
No I don't have a split relay. I charge every night as a precaution. I've read how others use the van battery and never have any problems. I'm just not that lucky, would save me a fortune though because in five years i've gone through £500 worth of batteries and a charger.
Pretty sure Concept20 sell their vans with everything hooked up to the van's battery alone.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »
No I don't have a split relay. I charge every night as a precaution. I've read how others use the van battery and never have any problems. I'm just not that lucky, would save me a fortune though because in five years i've gone through £500 worth of batteries and a charger.
Pretty sure Concept20 sell their vans with everything hooked up to the van's battery alone.

just got it! gonna charge battery now